playa dorada = ghost town

st3v3

Apr 3, 2011
Just recently returned from puerto plata and to me i was shocked by the lack of tourists and the number of hotels which has closed down, how bad can this get:rolleyes:

potatohead

May 10, 2012
I like the sounds of that. I'm looking for a quiet place with a nice beach and a few locals to chat with............I'm sure going to check it out on my trip this winter............PH

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I like the sounds of that. I'm looking for a quiet place with a nice beach and a few locals to chat with............I'm sure going to check it out on my trip this winter............PH

Check elsewhere for the nice beach.

st3v3

Apr 3, 2011
hey luzcace how you doing, i hope so, because if the tourism is low then the locals wont make any money

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i have been to playa dorada last week. very dead indeed. i wonder what the future holds for it, will it be abandoned completely?

st3v3

Apr 3, 2011
i was there last week too, personaly i think it could be the end for playa dorada unless something changes fast, like lowering of air tickets

sgtjosephmiller

Jan 7, 2012
then how is it the head of tourism and leonel says tourism is up.???? if it is its because more people are travling but are buying homes and apartments and are not staying in resorts.

st3v3

Apr 3, 2011
it probly be closed down by then lol

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
The problem is the North Coast used to be a cheap excuse for a Caribbean getaway, these days people can get much better value for money elsewhere. To find cheapflights these days is a real struggle. Nope, the only thing PD, had going for it, and perhaps much of the NorthCoast has slowly been sliced out, why would people fly into there when you can get much better quality on the EastCoast, hotels are better, beaches are better, flights are cheaper and hotels keep healthy competition. There is nothing for people to go for.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
it is pretty sad because i think east cost has nothing to offer that playa dorada does not have. people who come to all inclusive need only accomodation, food and plenty of ron. they hardly ever stick their noses out of the resort apart from excursions, what's the difference then when it comes to location? none. punta cana may have preatier beaches but it's boring like hell. and POP offers a lot when it comes to turist's trips...

what playa dorada needs is rejuvenation of hotels and then lots of promotion and hot deals. for some pasty white fatso from europe/america there is no difference to where they fry in the sun or have their **** sucked.

Rumble2005

Mar 18, 2006
it is pretty sad because i think east cost has nothing to offer that playa dorada does not have. people who come to all inclusive need only accomodation, food and plenty of ron. they hardly ever stick their noses out of the resort apart from excursions, what's the difference then when it comes to location? none. punta cana may have preatier beaches but it's boring like hell. and POP offers a lot when it comes to turist's trips...

what playa dorada needs is rejuvenation of hotels and then lots of promotion and hot deals. for some pasty white fatso from europe/america there is no difference to where they fry in the sun or have their **** sucked.

LOL . That is some funny stuff DV8. It is also pretty damn close to the truth IMO.
Over a few drinks in Sosua one night a good friend of mine jokingly said that they should turn all these abandoned north coast hotels into long term care facilities for North America's aged.
Just think, the labor costs would be 1/10th the cost, the drugs would be 1/10th the cost etc etc.
At an advanced age wouldn't it be great to be wheeled out to a pool with palm tree's instead of some sterile atrium in North America .

Please don't respond to this post stating what a dumb idea this is as I am simply relaying a light hearted conversation on the state of north coast vacancy rates that I found comical yet ultruistic.
I do understand all the "first world" reasons why this will never happen.

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
many of the resorts can't compete with Punta Cana since their resorts must keep up to date in their standards of excellence ,since there is much choice there .On the north coast ,besides the tour operators putting fear in the travelers to stay at resorts,and many hotels not keeping up and reinvesting to upgrade ,many which are families choose a more upgrade hotel in Punta Cana,with very friendly beaches for children wave wise,and the price not much different .That plus flight to Pop are extremely dear compared to other airports I THINK ( not sure if this absolutely correct!but when I have checked many times it seems so)

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Having spent time in both areas in past 2 months I would say this: POP is great if your looking to explore beyond the resort whereas the Punta Cana resorts pretty much have everything you need inside the resort. Price wise you can get some good deals in Punta Cana right now but I know flights to POP from the western part of the USA are limited so to speak. My mom bought a ticket from Las Vegas to Santo Domingo for $777.98 rt first class on AA and believe it or not the price for economy was the same??? Go figure. The difference with POP and Punta Cana is do you want to get out and explore the town (POP) or do you want to stay on the resort in Punta Cana. Punta Cana will have more AI's to choose from but totally different enviroment. I do love the beach in Bavaro though, beautiful turquoise water.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Yes I was there last weekend and half the shops were closed and others had for sales signs.

Where will Pizza Hut Go ?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
what i said: rejuvenation, promotion and hot deals.

playa dorada hotels are dated, no doubt about it. but many were built 20 or 30 years ago where space was cheap so the rooms are big and locations good. paint, furniture and some gardens makeover should do the trick and getting workers and products to this alone would move the economy somewhat.
POP is so close to the states and canada (relatively), there is no reason why it could not be a great destination. but tickets are expensive indeed and the area does not receive quite enough attention, it does not attract money.

granted, with AI type of business the money mainly stays with corporations but it does created worplaces and generates salaries, not only in the hotel secion itself and in tourism but also in food producion and other related businesses.

shame, shame, shame, because really, in the light of DR being rather boring destination as such POP comes out as no better place than punta cana...

and yes, converting some hotels into condos/apartments and into old people's care facilities IS a good idea. the area is very big and could fit all this and much more.

now all we need is money and a plan :)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Where will Pizza Hut Go ?
to la sirena? :)
maybe they'd do better in the city? they do lots of deliveries. but frankly speaking, the prices they charge are outrageous: we paid over 1000 pesos for a dinner for two (one pizza, salad and refrescos). pliz, too much!

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Quiet

Try Miches and Playa Arriba El Seibo Province or Uvero Alto away from the AI's.
Playa Ensenada in Puerto Plata Province.
May even find the other spud you're looking for ;)

wishingiwasthere

Nov 19, 2005
I was going to come on with my "usual" rant about flight prices - and my usual argument of the best flight deal I ever had of ?150 return ( Manchest to POP ) on a last min deal - about 2007 that was - even then flight prices were around 4 - 500 as standard. However - those were the times we just started to leave the AI's and get out of the compound.

Now - where my argument doesnt hold up - is that the AI prices are around the same as 2005 - 2006 and onwards. No real change - maybe ?50 more expensive - but nothing to put you off.

So - maybe - many of the north coast DR tourists used to go a couple of times a year - and then left the compounds for flight only deals and just cant face going back to the compounds now? And as flight only prices now on average are in the high 600/low 700 price ranges now travel less to the north coast.

I do like the idea of it becoming a retirement home though - I dont really get why thats such a stupid idea - at least maybe for one of the hotels.