Playa Palenque is Disappearing

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
A similar thing has happened in Playa Bonita in Las Terrenas. Yet we have all these people saying climate change isn't happening and won't affect DR.
Beaches have come and gone worldwide for centuries. Don't start with Climate Change.
When a beach appears where none was do claim that is proof of no climate change?
Playa Grande comes and goes every year.
Part of the year it's sandy, part of the year it is rocky.
Is Climate Change seasonal there?
This might explain it with less drama :

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
Playa Poppy diminished in size after the last hurricane that skimmed the area several years ago. It's so small and narrow in comparison to its glory days

We noticed the beaches in Las Ballenas - where we live -some areas are a bit steeper/have a steeper slope. Very different than before - in some areas
I walk there regularly these days and I see it recovering a bit. So there is still hope.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
The government has begun the renovation of the western area of Playa Palenque. We were surprised to see this metal fence enclosing several of the beach restaurants (including our favorite). They’re moving them “temporarily “ to a large free standing building.

Meanwhile, there’s going to be a pier built, and the erosion is worse. Some of the largest palm trees are now in the water. Very little beach left, and no sun beds/chaises anymore….nowhere to put them. 😢

5B332236-729B-48E6-9FEE-59D5E76BF61F.jpeg
DF32A7F9-1EE1-4FEB-9B9B-D24CD065FDA4.jpeg

Nadie21

Jun 3, 2021
Santa Clarita
Plalenque isn't the only beach on its way out.

Much more famous Waikiki Beach in Honolulu, Hawaii seem to be going the same way. An article about that was published today.

It seems beaches all over the world are facing the same problem.
By the way..thank you for the very interesting article.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
It is all over the world ..there are hundreds of photos of beach side homes on the east coast of Australia and the west coast of USA gradually losing many inches of their property until finally a swimming pool is lost or a wall. The ocean temperatures are rising along with water levels.Nothing much that anyone can do against the force of the ocean but we can stop the situation from getting worse by looking after the our world much better. In particular, ban plastic bags,ban plastic knives and forks and plant more trees . In the DR , we do very little to help the climate and that is a pity.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
It is all over the world ..there are hundreds of photos of beach side homes on the east coast of Australia and the west coast of USA gradually losing many inches of their property until finally a swimming pool is lost or a wall. The ocean temperatures are rising along with water levels.Nothing much that anyone can do against the force of the ocean but we can stop the situation from getting worse by looking after the our world much better. In particular, ban plastic bags,ban plastic knives and forks and plant more trees . In the DR , we do very little to help the climate and that is a pity.
Climate change?
When I was a kid they predicted another ice age in 30 years due to global cooling. Didn't happen.
When I was in my early 20's they predicted all of the ice caps in Antartica would melt due to global warming and cities like NYC would be under water. Didn't happen.
Question:
Whatever happened to people admitting they were wrong?

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Playa Palenque was one of the very first beaches I visited when I first came to the Dominican Republic. There was a bar like area back then where I danced my first merengue. I have always enjoyed that area/beach.

Reactions: irishpaddy

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
How much is influenced by the actions of humans on this earth?
How much is Mother Earth doing what it has been doing since it has been in existence as a planet?

My research show much of what is happening would have happened anyway when it comes to erosion.
Human activity has just speeded it up.

Plenty of beach on this island.
Much of if it undeveloped.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Beaches have come and gone worldwide for centuries. Don't start with Climate Change.
When a beach appears where none was do claim that is proof of no climate change?
Playa Grande comes and goes every year.
Part of the year it's sandy, part of the year it is rocky.
Is Climate Change seasonal there?
This might explain it with less drama :

Exactly.
Beaches in Australia, South East Asia and Africa are mostly all increasing, after receding in prior years.
You think people have forgotten that Earth cycles continue and repeat every so many years.
Climate Change is the biggest hoax since Bernie Madoff's investment fund, but the world is throwing away trillions on it and the virtue signaling is now collapsing banks.
I hope it doesn't divert the DR leaders from real issues and spending money on useful and attainable goals..