Playero Not Stocking, like before

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
There are other types of Salami here; most stores have chicken salami and turkey salami as well.

Reactions: cavok

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Supermercado Sosua, who remember?
Why did they went out of business, I used to eat over there everytime I went to Sosua back in the 90s.
They used to have a Dominican style fast food eater similar than the one at Supermercado INDUVECA.

JJ

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Don Pedro is very good.
Don Pedro in the gold wrapper is the only one I can eat. It's a beef salami. All the others seem just to be suitable for dog food. Some of the imported genoa salamis are ok. I used to buy Oscar Meyer Cotto beef salami in the US and thought it was far better than anything here.

Reactions: chico bill

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Don Pedro in the gold wrapper is the only one I can eat. It's a beef salami. All the others seem just to be suitable for dog food. Some of the imported genoa salamis are ok. I used to buy Oscar Meyer Cotto beef salami in the US and thought it was far better than anything here.
Don Pedro may be the best of a bad lot, but I couldn't eat it.
Yes the imports - real salami type are good but overy pricey.
Most of the salamis sold here are seriously not even suitable for dog food, that is if you value your dog's health.
It is sad to see the Dominicans frying these products and thinking it is a nice meal. The salamis here should carry a warning like cigarettes
"May be Prejudicial to your Health" .....and.... "If you Eat a Lot of this Product Obesity is Guaranteed"

Gadfly

Jul 7, 2016
And then it’s fried in hot oil. A ticking time bomb. I went to playero last week and my only complaint is they still don’t have my favorite sauerkraut. (Avocado & sauerkraut is good)

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Don Pedro may be the best of a bad lot, but I couldn't eat it.
Yes the imports - real salami type are good but overy pricey.
Most of the salamis sold here are seriously not even suitable for dog food, that is if you value your dog's health.
It is sad to see the Dominicans frying these products and thinking it is a nice meal. The salamis here should carry a warning like cigarettes
"May be Prejudicial to your Health" .....and.... "If you Eat a Lot of this Product Obesity is Guaranteed"
The salamis here remind me more of some kind of crappy bologna(or baloney as we called it). I remember eating a lot of bologna sandwiches when I was a kid, and it was far better tasting than the salami here.

Reactions: chico bill

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
The salamis here remind me more of some kind of crappy bologna(or baloney as we called it). I remember eating a lot of bologna sandwiches when I was a kid, and it was far better tasting than the salami here.

And what they try to pass off as ham, is more like spam-in-a-can.

Reactions: cavok

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
And then it’s fried in hot oil. A ticking time bomb. I went to playero last week and my only complaint is they still don’t have my favorite sauerkraut. (Avocado & sauerkraut is good)

How hard is it to make sauerkraut?

Aug 21, 2007
Supermercado Sosua, who remember?
Why did they went out of business, I used to eat over there everytime I went to Sosua back in the 90s.
They used to have a Dominican style fast food eater similar than the one at Supermercado INDUVECA.

JJ
Lovely family. Hard workers. They lost their lease in the building. Then they opened the supermercado across from Ocean Village and it never took off. Bad location. I understand the Russians bought it and they don't care if there is not business. The original owner of Supermercado Sosua now works out of her house at Christmas and makes baskets for individuals and local businesses. I have ordered from her every year before and after they lost their original location.

Reactions: bachata

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Lovely family. Hard workers. They lost their lease in the building. Then they opened the supermercado across from Ocean Village and it never took off. Bad location. I understand the Russians bought it and they don't care if there is not business. The original owner of Supermercado Sosua now works out of her house at Christmas and makes baskets for individuals and local businesses. I have ordered from her every year before and after they lost their original location.
Sosua needs a Supermarket where you can go get your supplies and from time to times have lunch, fresh Dominican food at a affordable prize.
In Santiago most Supermarket have that.

JJ

Reactions: windeguy and cavok

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
When I first arrived in the DR and my wife served me what is called salami here, I was quite surprised. A cross between a bad hot dog and horrible bologna is the closest I can come to describing DR salami to someone from back home. I introduced her to actual Italian Salami and now she will not eat what Dominicans call salami ever again.

As for the lack of stock in any supermarket, I learned over the years that if I saw something once, I might never see it again. That has only gotten worse over time.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
When I first arrived in the DR and my wife served me what is called salami here, I was quite surprised. A cross between a bad hot dog and horrible bologna is the closest I can come to describing DR salami to someone from back home. I introduced her to actual Italian Salami and now she will not eat what Dominicans call salami ever again.

As for the lack of stock in any supermarket, I learned over the years that if I saw something once, I might never see it again. That has only gotten worse over time.
I learned a long time ago if you see something you like for the first time on supermarket shelves, buy it all.