Playero Sosua...bad experience

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Sounds like you have an interest in Playero.. We are saying we get HIGHER quality products from La Sirena, Nacional, Plaza Lama, and other supermarkets for BETTER prices, and BETTER customer service, with FULLY functioning reward programs. I want other people to make informed decisions on where they spend their money and stop supporting businesses that aren't up to a certain standard. It could be the cheapest island in the WORLD but I would still expect a certain standard based on what I was SPENDING.

Excuse me? You Want? You have nothing to want, you can only inform others that you are not satisfied and what ME is concerned and many others here on the board, we will make up our mind ourselves, thank you!

What Playero is concerned, they have some issues with over pricing some products so I prefer to shop at Janets for those products which do not hinder me to shop at Playero also for other stuff.

Acira

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
So, if you're a tourist and you feel like you've been mistreated..........
They should just shut up....................why......

B in Santiago

Aboslutely not, but there's always two sides to a story. And the op never said "I know the kid didn't break that bottle". So I'm just guessing here, but the op probably knew about the broken oregano - and was hoping to get away with it. And he didn't like the way he was forced to pay.

If he did know about it, he should have offered to pay. The right thing to do.

As far as the missing item, who knows. But things happen...

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
I shop at Playero sometimes twice a day for stuff that our suppliers do not have. I have a spreadsheet with product and prices from Playero, Janet's, La Sierna, Sosua Producto, Nacional and Pricemart. Many products are more expensive at La Sirena (flour for example) than at Playero. I've done the math of driving to Puerto Plata or Santiago to save a few bucks and it doesn't pay off for me. Doing a big order at Pricemart does have some savings but I hate the drive and really can't spare the time. I've had a few issues at Playero, but overall it's a great store and it's local. Sosua people should be supporting Sosua businesses and appreciate what is offered instead of spending their money in other towns.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
ctrob, I thought about that myself, if his child did break the bottle he should offer to pay..........
The OP can still clarify this......................if he wants.........

B in Santiago

BabyBlu

Jan 20, 2004
Wow, your kid wAs obviously running around the store unsupervised, because if he broke something you would have known had he been at your side..then you want to blame the store for not bagging all your items, all because you caused a big stink instead of taking responsibility for your kids actions. Nice.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
An item being missed by a bag boy is possible. In fact I have missed an item myself when doing my own bagging. As the cashier records the items and pushes them down the incline, some role into a corner.

Just the other day I had such an experience, but I was the bagger. I had my bags in hand and was leaving the store when one of the bag boys chased after me and handed me an item I had missed.

I didn't leave it out intentionally and I don't believe the bag boys do, either.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
its just a shop, I have been using them for about six years and never had any problems there...I find them friendly and helpful. prices ok. other than not being able to find the refried beans when they expanded recently......

I dont really like to read all the bashing. at least not by non-locals.:tired:

They have lots of refried beans. Saw them on the shelf yesterday, but don't remember where. When I go there this afternoon, I will note the location and report it.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
They have lots of refried beans. Saw them on the shelf yesterday, but don't remember where. When I go there this afternoon, I will note the location and report it.

Make sure you buy some "Beano" as a chaser!

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I don't know, but was it not the same in your home country. Every supermarket was good for some products, less good for others. More expensive for some, cheaper for others.

I use Playero almost daily, and never had a serious issue with them. Yes, some of their prices are elevated, but I cannot drive to Janets in order to save 3 or 4 rds on a bottle of juice. So, when I know I need dogfood, I drive to Janets, as I save 500rds on a bag, and at that time I buy all the other stuff as well.

La Sirena certainly is not cheaper on a lot of the items. Nacional is nice, but also expensive.

I have found the people in Playero to be nice, respectfull and helpfull. Maybe you would get the same treatment from the staff, if you treated them with respect, and friendliness.

BTW... the refried beans are completely in the back, on the left, where the rice used to be.

BelgianK

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I shop at Playero sometimes twice a day for stuff that our suppliers do not have. I have a spreadsheet with product and prices from Playero, Janet's, La Sierna, Sosua Producto, Nacional and Pricemart. Many products are more expensive at La Sirena (flour for example) than at Playero. I've done the math of driving to Puerto Plata or Santiago to save a few bucks and it doesn't pay off for me. Doing a big order at Pricemart does have some savings but I hate the drive and really can't spare the time. I've had a few issues at Playero, but overall it's a great store and it's local. Sosua people should be supporting Sosua businesses and appreciate what is offered instead of spending their money in other towns.

Now here is person who talks with his feet and makes a sensible statement.

If I hear one more time about driving to POP/Sirena (in 15 minutes, no less), I will scream.

Same with ATM charges -- how far will you drive to avoid the fee?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Wow, your kid wAs obviously running around the store unsupervised, because if he broke something you would have known had he been at your side..then you want to blame the store for not bagging all your items, all because you caused a big stink instead of taking responsibility for your kids actions. Nice.

What ?? My kid did that?? Not on your life, he's innocent !!

Camera pans out as child is led off to jail in handcuffs.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Good thing I am not from Sosua. Otherwise Seamonkey would have made me feel guilty.

NOT.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
...wait a minute. Someone said they can drive from Playero to La Sirena in Puerto Plata in 15 minutes? Now THAT I'd like to see!

From what I have seen, FRANK12 is always up for a challenge. It is about 27 Km from the Playero in Sosua to La Sirena in POP so you would have to average 108 Km/H to do it. I bet he could, but the normal sane person would take about 30 to 40 minutes. .

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
You must be a race car driver...

God you people always have some witty comment.. POP is 23 KM from Sosua, about 15miles, at 60mph that's 15mins. We aren't all 60 year old men with our thumbs up our asses.

It also only takes me an hour to get from Montellano to Santiago, so people that shop at Playero must be doing so because they have no car, or don't know how to get out of Sosua. The place is a mess, I'd be embarrassed to take anyone there, and I'm dominican.

dddavid

Aug 3, 2011
i didn't want to start a playero good or bad thread, i just wanted to share a thing that happened to me, that i did not like at all in the way it ended up. Again, the security saw the kid, did not tell him or us anything, but he identified us, probably secretly followed us like criminals until the cash desk, not saying anything, just giving a barcode to the woman. Do they think are SS or gestapo? And yes the poor kid confessed and he was feeling like he did something very bad when we were asking explanation to the staff. Also i would suggest to always keep eyes on your groceries and maybe show to the bags guy that you're checking him...This said, i will come back to playero, i have no problems except for the ridiculously high prices, everyone knows this!