PlazaLama/SuperLama Opening?

Wheathead

Sep 10, 2011
Does anyone have any firsthand news when this store will open up after it moved from PalmaReal?

A security guard told us in December that it was scheduled to open the 1st week of January and now it seems we have rumours flying around that it will be next week...next week...next week...

Jumbo has been nuts lately and it would sure be nice to have something within walking distance of El Cortecito.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
All I know is that Lama is NOT the place to buy anything. They either buy from Chinese counterfeiters or use refurbished appliances. We bought a Frigidaire that was made in China. When I called Frigidaire in the US for parts I was told that they do not make appliances in China!

They do not have much to offer..

HB

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
All I know is that Lama is NOT the place to buy anything. They either buy from Chinese counterfeiters or use refurbished appliances. We bought a Frigidaire that was made in China. When I called Frigidaire in the US for parts I was told that they do not make appliances in China!

They do not have much to offer.

HB

They are a little sneaky with that response. They make them under names other than Frigidarire. Check it on google you will see the various names used after a particular sale of companies was made to a China based company. May not help you but....

Wheathead

Sep 10, 2011

They do not have much to offer..

HB

Don't really care about the appliance side.

Just want to know when the store is going to open to buy GROCERIES!

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
The security guard won't know. You noticed they have a bunch of shopping carts lined up outside now? Should be open soon. All you can do is keep checking. I will try to remember to check today to see if there is anything obvious - like a sign that says opening date. : )

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
Right before the Texaco station on the same street as Palma Real, Cocotal, Costa Bavaro. Like if you were driving from Palma Real to Jumbo. Right hand side. New white building.

Nothing new going on today. Same shopping carts sitting out on the walkway in front of the store. About 100 of them. About 20 motores sitting out front. 10 guys sitting around doing nothing. So, I guess there is something going on inside. I did not stop to ask.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Right before the Texaco station on the same street as Palma Real, Cocotal, Costa Bavaro. Like if you were driving from Palma Real to Jumbo. Right hand side. New white building.

Nothing new going on today. Same shopping carts sitting out on the walkway in front of the store. About 100 of them. About 20 motores sitting out front. 10 guys sitting around doing nothing. So, I guess there is something going on inside. I did not stop to ask.

Thank you. Your directions are perfect.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Franco is right. It is open but it's a bit smaller than the Palma Real location.
Drove by it today. Not busy at all.

Wheathead

Sep 10, 2011
Was there on Wednesday. Some shelves still bare as well as a few meat freezers. About half of the meat section still needs to be filled in.
No appliance or electronic section...just groceries and household items.