Please Explain the Sugar Shortage

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Our life expectancy keeps increasing. That tells me much of the concern is ado about nothing. There are some people who may be hypersensitive to splenda/saccarin/or whatever, but that's a distinct minority.

Agreed. In our case, both our fathers were diabetic, and my maternal grandmother lost a leg because of it. We stopped using sugar decades ago because of it, sort of as a preventative. We’ve both been pre-diabetic for about 10 years. I tipped over recently, and it could be because I started statins, which raises sugar in some people. Whatever downside there is to Splenda is better than using sugar, at least for us.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Our life expectancy keeps increasing. That tells me much of the concern is ado about nothing. There are some people who may be hypersensitive to splenda/saccarin/or whatever, but that's a distinct minority.
Exactly. Look at how many people have adverse reactions to gluten for example. There's always a very small percentage of people that have adverse reactions to many common drugs. More people have serious reactions from peanuts and shellfish than Splenda.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Sweet'n Low has a funky after taste, but I prefer the taste of a diet coke to a regular one. I can't even drink a regular Coke anymore. I average 3 Diet Cokes a day and 3 cups of coffee with Splenda or Equal. Been doing that for well over 40 years. No problem. It's all nothing but hype.

The sugar industry is worried. It's worth close to a hundred billion dollars! This is no different than why big pharma killed off Ivermectin.

Do you have any idea how many chemicals and hormones there are in almost every other food we eat and beverage we drink. Any negative effects from aspartame pale in comparison to all the other crap we're putting in our bodies.
How much water do you drink every day?

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Why do you think so many Dominicans have diabetes? High sugar intake. They're sugar junkies. I've never heard of so many people with diabetes as I have here. Whatever negative effects there are, they'd all be better off switching to artificial sweeteners.

Reactions: JD Jones

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Why do you think so many Dominicans have diabetes? High sugar intake. They're sugar junkies. I've never heard of so many people with diabetes as I have here. Whatever negative effects there are, they'd all be better off switching to artificial sweeteners.
Albeit true on one hand, but you need to realize Diabetes has 3 forms. Diabetes 2 can result from numerous causes apart from excessive sugar intake. It actually takes many, many years to develop insulin resistance from excessive sugar intake. In fact, most Dominicans (who would be subject to D2) do physical work like painting, transportation, delivery, construcción, housekeeping, motoconcho, etc so this combined with the heat (more work for the cardiovascular system) let's their systems take in more sugar than say an IT guy working in an office in AC behind a desk all day.

Reactions: keepcoming

El Hijo de Manolo

Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Exactly. Look at how many people have adverse reactions to gluten for example. There's always a very small percentage of people that have adverse reactions to many common drugs. More people have serious reactions from peanuts and shellfish than Splenda.
Gluten free is a business btw. Another scam. Any medical stuff championed by Hollywood, ie out of touch Gwenyth Paltrow, should not be given case by any human with an IQ above 90

Reactions: melphis and cavok

El Hijo de Manolo

Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Agreed. In our case, both our fathers were diabetic, and my maternal grandmother lost a leg because of it. We stopped using sugar decades ago because of it, sort of as a preventative. We’ve both been pre-diabetic for about 10 years. I tipped over recently, and it could be because I started statins, which raises sugar in some people. Whatever downside there is to Splenda is better than using sugar, at least for us.
Statins are no bueno

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Albeit true on one hand, but you need to realize Diabetes has 3 forms. Diabetes 2 can result from numerous causes apart from excessive sugar intake. It actually takes many, many years to develop insulin resistance from excessive sugar intake. In fact, most Dominicans (who would be subject to D2) do physical work like painting, transportation, delivery, construcción, housekeeping, motoconcho, etc so this combined with the heat (more work for the cardiovascular system) let's their systems take in more sugar than say an IT guy working in an office in AC behind a desk all day.
Very true. I don't know any Dominicans in their 20"s with diabetes. Most are in their 50's and up. The diet here is very high in sugar and simple carbos which are quicky converted to sugar. Dominicans are sugar junkies. It's very addictive.

I think the same is true of aspartame - it takes many years of usage before you see any negative effects. Apparently, more than 40 years.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Very true. I don't know any Dominicans in their 20"s with diabetes. Most are in their 50's and up. The diet here is very high in sugar and simple carbos which are quicky converted to sugar. Dominicans are sugar junkies. It's very addictive.

I think the same is true of aspartame - it takes many years of usage before you see any negative effects. Apparently, more than 40 years.
Hmmm, so I should start worrying after I hit 108?

• Haha
Reactions: cavok

El Hijo de Manolo

Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
First it was saccharin. No one died.
Now it's Aspartame. No one will die.
Diet coke. No one died.
Regular coca cola. No one died.
So what's next? Sucralose, Stevia.

They told us for years 2 eggs/week. Now they say eat as many as you wish.
They told us oatmeal was healthy, then they find it destroys the digestive tract.
They said don't eat red meat, now they tell us to eat away!

Silliness folks, time to wake up

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
First it was saccharin. No one died.
Now it's Aspartame. No one will die.
Diet coke. No one died.
Regular coca cola. No one died.
So what's next? Sucralose, Stevia.

They told us for years 2 eggs/week. Now they say eat as many as you wish.
They told us oatmeal was healthy, then they find it destroys the digestive tract.
They said don't eat red meat, now they tell us to eat away!

Silliness folks, time to wake up
I gave up listening to "the experts" when they said colored bathroom tissue could cause cancer. Even the stuff with just little outlined flowers.
You don't have to be an expert to know that anything and everything will eventually cause cancer. The secret is moderation.
I suppose if you walk around with a roll of colored toilet tissue stuffed in back there it could lead to cancer, but then I'm no expert.

El Hijo de Manolo

Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
I gave up listening to "the experts" when they said colored bathroom tissue could cause cancer. Even the stuff with just little outlined flowers.
You don't have to be an expert to know that anything and everything will eventually cause cancer. The secret is moderation.
I suppose if you walk around with a roll of colored toilet tissue stuffed in back there it could lead to cancer, but then I'm no expert.
Yep, cancer would get us all if we lived long enough. Some get heart attacks, strokes, or get in car accidents before cancer can get them

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
Statins are no bueno
Unfortunately, in some cases they are a necessary evil.
I asked my doctor if I could lower my bad cholesterol with just better dietary habits and less alcohol that would allow me to skip the statin route.
Her answer was clear and unequivocal.
No.
It was imperative to eat well and reduce booze but...
That, alone, could not bring down my bad cholesterol to acceptable levels.
So they may be... no bueno pero, son necesario..

Reactions: AlterEgo

El Hijo de Manolo

Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Unfortunately, in some cases they are a necessary evil.
I asked my doctor if I could lower my bad cholesterol with just better dietary habits and less alcohol that would allow me to skip the statin route.
Her answer was clear and unequivocal.
No.
It was imperative to eat well and reduce booze but...
That, alone, could not bring down my bad cholesterol to acceptable levels.
So they may be... no bueno pero, son necesario..
Problem is two-fold: One is you almost cannot come off of them, as your levels will rebound (including triglycerides). The other is the deleterious effects on the liver.

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
That is what the doctor is for.
She monitors all that stuff and adjusts the prescriptions as required.
In my case there was a fair amount of jockeying around to get a good match but she does regular follow-ups.
I am going to assume that anybody who has been prescribed statins of one sort or another has a physician who does the same.
But then again...
I am one of the lucky ones who has a G.P. who is young, conscientious and part of a great healthcare system.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
That is what the doctor is for.
She monitors all that stuff and adjusts the prescriptions as required.
In my case there was a fair amount of jockeying around to get a good match but she does regular follow-ups.
I am going to assume that anybody who has been prescribed statins of one sort or another has a physician who does the same.
But then again...
I am one of the lucky ones who has a G.P. who is young, conscientious and part of a great healthcare system.

We take Milk Thistle supplements daily to help protect the liver from statins. Check it out.

Reactions: keepcoming

El Hijo de Manolo

Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
We take Milk Thistle supplements daily to help protect the liver from statins. Check it out.
Yes milk thistle (silymarin if you need it here) also acetyl cysteine sold as N-acetyl cysteine, NAC) is a strong antioxidant which helps protect the liver from pharmacological damage. However, it is known that data is lacking in terms of studies and outcomes from supplements.

Status
Not open for further replies.