poisonous creatures in the DR

Status
Not open for further replies.

british bulldog

Jan 21, 2006
Nice one rocky;im still smiling ,had lots of dealings with these creatures over the past four years,never knew thier tecnical name,how sads that,then i havent talked to no ex pats either;

G

gary short

british bulldog said:
I stumbled on a black two foot long thin snake on a beach near bavaro is this dangerous?also i"ve seen many rats running around (no snide comments please) and dogs;is rabbies a high risk here;and what do you do if your bitten?
Sorry for being a smart arse. If you get bitten by anything go directly to the doc and demand shots ASAP. I wonder if what you saw on the beach was an eel?

Sep 19, 2005
well, I can vouch for the tarantulas...I even posted a picture here of one that i found crossing the road near my GF's house.( page 8 of the members phots, called 2 of AZBs friends near Moca!) Plus I have seen three others two in the same Villa in batero three years apart!!!!!! so i have seen four and I have only been in the country 8 times so far!!!!!!!!! do they have vampire bats here?...I hear they have them in other carribean countries.

from the mickeys I heard about being put in some tourist's drinks in the Sosua-Caberete areas.... there is another poison going around!!!!!!!

can anyone describe the centipedes?????? are there only one kind...or are there some that are not a problem.

none of the lizards can cause grief?. and what areas do the scorpions hand out in......Baharona????????

thanks...bob

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
laurapasinifan said:
well, I can vouch for the tarantulas...I even posted a picture here of one that i found crossing the road near my GF's house.( page 8 of the members phots, called 2 of AZBs friends near Moca!) Plus I have seen three others two in the same Villa in batero three years apart!!!!!! so i have seen four and I have only been in the country 8 times so far!!!!!!!!! do they have vampire bats here?...I hear they have them in other carribean countries.

from the mickeys I heard about being put in some tourist's drinks in the Sosua-Caberete areas.... there is another poison going around!!!!!!!

can anyone describe the centipedes?????? are there only one kind...or are there some that are not a problem.

none of the lizards can cause grief?. and what areas do the scorpions hand out in......Baharona????????

thanks...bob

Scopions will be mostly found around old brush, wooded areas, fire wood piles, old wooden houses. As for the others?... sorry.

The Voice

Nov 29, 2005
laurapasinifan said:

thanks...bob

I have seen bats in Sosua. I was staying in Casa Linda, and I was in the pool one night relaxing. A bat just swooped down to pick up a dead mosquito that was in the pool. I never seen a bat before, but this bat was pretty big.

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
The Voice said:
I have seen bats in Sosua. I was staying in Casa Linda, and I was in the pool one night relaxing. A bat just swooped down to pick up a dead mosquito that was in the pool. I never seen a bat before, but this bat was pretty big.

Legend has it that if you put a lit cigarette at the end of a stick it will attrack a bat to smoke it in one swig.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Let's get back to reality, for a minute.
No Vampire bats around.
Better odds of winning the NY lottery, then seeing a Sonedonon.
Tarantulas, which are nowhere near as bad as they are made out to be, are very rare in populated areas.
There are NO poisoinous snakes.
To list sea creatures as poisoinous animals of the DR, is a bit of a stretch.
If you go diving, one would assume you know the rules of the game, and are properly educated and prepared.
You are not likely to run into any "sea creatures", going for a swim on a nice sandy beach.
15 years living here and I have seen 4 tarantulas, all of them out of town, never saw a scorpion, heard of 2 people stepping on sea urchins, and heard a lot of old wives tales about Haitian voodoo.
Which brings us back to the top of the list... The centipede.
When full grown, is approx. 3/4 inch wide, 6 to 8 inches long, a pincher looking device in the ront, and 2 little antennae at the back.
This is the one and only pest you should be on the lookout for, if you're gardening, or anywhere you happen to see one.
They are very slow moving and hard to kill.
Some people say that burning them is the only way, but I asuure you that a hammer works fine, although it may take 3 or 4 whacks.
I have seen 10 or so in 15 years.

Sep 19, 2005
Rocky said:
Let's get back to reality, for a minute.......
, but I asuure you that a hammer works fine, although it may take 3 or 4 whacks.
QUOTE]

yes thats reality in the DR....3 or 4 whacks to kill a centipede!!!!!!!!!!! ha ha ha ha ha ha....those are some tough insects!!!!!

I can attest that tarantulas are severely allergic to 10 lbs rocks falling from hieghts of about 4 feet or so.......

MY GF fathers idea..not mine..........hey he lives there year round!!!!

what about the wolf spiders... do they give nasty bites!

saw one in the bathroom last trip......he was fast... and BIG.....but not as big as a tarantula!!!!!!!........seeing a tarantula in your bedroom...is not conductive to a good nights sleep..........please take my word for it!

bob

Jan 12, 2006
The "Racaso" fish can inject a poison through their dorsal fins' bones. I believe it is related to what in some areas of the U.S. are called "mother in laws" fish.
They won't attack you but if you handle them or step on them you can be in trouble. They tend to rest motionless on the sand, specially on top of rocks. I have seen them in Puerto Plata and once swimming in Najayo one of my friends step on one and he got yellow and passed out really quick. We manage to get to town and buy some benadril as counseled by a doctor friend; he thinks this may have saved him. Some people may be allergic, but them if you are allergic to bees or wasps you can be in trouble if stung.
THERE ARE NO POISONOUS SNAKES IN THE D.R., AND TARANTULAS' POISON HAVE BEEN EXAGERATED. Personally I think mosquitos are a real danger, besides beeing a real pain, as are the "mayes" and "jejenes".
Josia

british bulldog

Jan 21, 2006
quote" the mickeys in sosua? the same is going on in bavaro/punta cana,got laced nearly two years ago in A/I hotel which let the locals in.lesson here is ;never leave your drinks unatended even for a minite.

UsernameTaken

Mar 4, 2016
First of all every spider is poisonous, the question is whether or not it is poisonous enough to kill a human being...

There ARE many poisonous creatures in the DR but after over 500 years of populating these lands, Dominican people have effectively exterminated them in most living areas.

So unless you venture out into some isolated forest, you should be fine. You might just run into a centipede once in a blue like I did when I was young. It's bite is painful but it can't kill you.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
Thanks username taken. 10 years and one day since the last post. until today. btw. dig your username.

Status
Not open for further replies.