Poli-Pussies patroling the street between Rocky's and Terre Linda

Status
Not open for further replies.

Papa Benito

Dec 5, 2006
We are safe! and all is positive!

Things are very positive in Sosua! I feel so safe and secure! Between 3 and 6 Poli-Pussies are stationed in the afternoon between Rocky's and TL. Apparently they hassle tourists, seek banditos, and arrest the dreaded Haitianas and children!:classic:

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
He is referring to the tourist police. Their uniforms say Politur. The op does not care for them much to put it mildly.

May 29, 2006
The tourist police in Sosua have a rep for stealing shoe shine boxes from the kids and then holding them for ransom. If the kids can't get the money together from their friends they're likely to get a beating when they get home. It's stealing food money from these kids' families. I've seen the cops chasing after kids who were behaving well. They esp target the Haitian kids selling eggs. When their not shaking down the kids, they're going after the girls walking the streets. You can bet they ask for more than just money from them.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Now let me get this straight.

You are blaming the police, because they are actually patrolling one of the more popular streets frequented by tourists. Most tourist FAMILIES, staying in either Casa Marina or one of the other hotels, will frequent this street on their way to Pedro Clisante. I do believe this is their right, as tourists, with children, between 3 and 6 pm. Please point me to one tourist town, anywhere in the world, where this is not the case.

The police is targeting the dreaded Haitianas. Of course they are, as this is their job. If those hookers are illegal, they should be targeted.

The police is also targeting the local pick-pockets, etc... They are there to secure the safety of the tourists. IT IS THEIR ****ING JOB!!!

They are supposedly stealing shoe-shine boxes from the kids. Come on!!! Those kids are making a couple of pesos a day. Someone should do those kids a favor and tell them tourists do not want their flip-flops shined. If those cops wanted to make some extra money, they would look for the first tourist throwing a cigarette butt in the gutter and charge him for littering... a couple of thousand pesos in a minute, instead of 50 pesos shaking down a shoe-shine kid.

If you really want to know what Sosua needs? And by the way... I like Sosua.

Legalized prostitution. Not because I like it, but then at least you can control it. Monthly health and age checks, the girls having to pay taxes on their income, and preferably having them in one area of town. All underage girls taken of the streets, and their customers thrown in jail, and then extradited of the isle, never to come back.

I know, it is a dream, and it will never happen. But it would do Sosua and its businesses, in the long run, a hell of a lot of good.

And finally, pay the cops a decent living wage.

Come on, give me all the dislikes you want. The "normal" expats and locals (and yes, we are in the majority...), and the "normal" tourists will agree.

You want to come over here to have fun with the chica's? No probs... in a controlled manner.

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
I'm with Belgian. I would prefer to see more police patrols, especially in tourist areas. You can't expect tourists to be street smart and know what the local hustles are. In any major tourist destination this is not only prevalent, but expected.

Belgian, as far as accepting and legalizing prostitution...that would require extremely 'out of the box' and forward thinking on the part of the D.R. officials/politicians. Not to mention it also means they have to publicly admit that there is a problem and possibly fear the wrath of the many conservative, church going voters in attempting to ratify such a change.

It is just easier to maintain the 'business as usual' mindset and stick their heads in the sand.

gringostudent

Jun 20, 2005
anybody that thinks more politur anywhere will make things safer is crazy. Sure they arrest/lynch local criminals at times, because they hate competition. Last ones I interacted with had coke literally coming out of their noses.

May 29, 2006
I see the problems dating back to when OXY2 burning down. At that time the out of town chicas would stick to the discos on the edges of town and the smaller bars would pretty much let either local or season woman in the bars. It's still prob the case in some of the small bars with fewer than 20 seats. But if you have big discos in the middle of town, you're going to have 100s of girls in each disco and few are going to be local. It's the disco's that attract the bad crowds, esp pick-pockets.

Patrolling on PC makes sense to some extent during the afternoon, but after 9pm when the imaginary family tourists have gone back to their AIs, it's just a shake-down. It's especially onerous when they hang out at the moto-concho stand on the corner so they can pick up girls who are either on their way home from the discos where they are not subject to loitering laws, sometimes less than a hundred yards from the motos. The girls have enough sense to be dropped off directly at the discos when they come into town.

Papa Benito

Dec 5, 2006
Obviously, because of Wily's influence, the Poli-pussies are no longer persecuting Haitiannas. Now they are picking on shoeshine boys and cell equipment salesmen.

Status
Not open for further replies.