Police Beat and Rob Tourist in Sosua

Status
Not open for further replies.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
The way I read it I thought local, on duty, police beat and robbed the tourists. Instead, it was one off duty PN from Santiago with three accomplices. Still, the fact that a police officer was involved at all is pretty shocking, but not surprising.
Surpriising not one bit...they way they were walking around in the middle of the night...put a big sign on them " arrest me or rob me"...........

Mariahboater

SHIPWRECKED
Aug 7, 2020
Ontario
Tourist trying bring a firearm into this country? Would make for another thread...
and I'd have a good laugh while posting about it.

Firearms are very easy to obtain in this country.
Very easy very expensive also ,reason a ladromes can’t shot straight bullets cost as much as gold here ;)

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
To blame and assume that guys staying at New Garden are ladrones is stupid. Naive, on a first or second trip down ok but tu assume they are some kind of thugs is lame. I stopped having breakfast at New Garden for 2 reasons. 1. they wouldn't cook the french toast correctly, even after several attempts and 2. I don't want to hear about some guy's conquests over my breakfast, lunch and/or dinner. However to assume the guys that stay at New Garden are criminals is stereotyping at its worst.
"Police beat and Rob Tourist in Sosua" is a lame ass title for the post and not accurate. The only rank below Corporal is Private (yes, it can be private 1st , 2nd and 3rd class but still a corporal is almost as low as it gets. POLICE beat and rob is misleading at best. Off duty, low ranking cop with several civilian thugs rob, would have been more accurate.
From my experience, the guys staying at New Garden are more middle class type working stiffs that save up their money to go to Sosua and bang, way too big for me, chicks NOT gun carrying criminals. They stay at more high class establishments. My 2 cents.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
To blame and assume that guys staying at New Garden are ladrones is stupid. Naive, on a first or second trip down ok but tu assume they are some kind of thugs is lame. I stopped having breakfast at New Garden for 2 reasons. 1. they wouldn't cook the french toast correctly, even after several attempts and 2. I don't want to hear about some guy's conquests over my breakfast, lunch and/or dinner. However to assume the guys that stay at New Garden are criminals is stereotyping at its worst.
"Police beat and Rob Tourist in Sosua" is a lame ass title for the post and not accurate. The only rank below Corporal is Private (yes, it can be private 1st , 2nd and 3rd class but still a corporal is almost as low as it gets. POLICE beat and rob is misleading at best. Off duty, low ranking cop with several civilian thugs rob, would have been more accurate.
From my experience, the guys staying at New Garden are more middle class type working stiffs that save up their money to go to Sosua and bang, way too big for me, chicks NOT gun carrying criminals. They stay at more high class establishments. My 2 cents.
Sir Gary, I think the insinuation and assumption was they were possibly involved in some type of illicit dispute. Price of a substance or failure to pay for services rendered. Probably nice guys! However when you seek controlled substances and/or have a chica dispute bad things happen. Of course it might very well not be the case here. But many here know the goings on in Sosua and an armed robbery of a couple of tourists on Pedro C at midnight , which is high noon anywhere else is very very uncommon. As far as french toast, way too many carbs for me. I am on a low carb diet, vodka martinis and shrimp.

Reactions: Garyexpat

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Tourist trying bring a firearm into this country? Would make for another thread...
and I'd have a good laugh while posting about it.

Firearms are very easy to obtain in this country.

The issues of owning a gun here and every using it getting harsher it might not be worth the risk
Better with a shotgun bought legally here & loaded with rock salt - If that doesn't chase away anyone from your residence then your a goner.
Rock Salt makes a white cloud and stings like hell up to about 50 feet. It won't likely kill anyone unless fired at point blank range

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
How about just don't own a gun at all. I know many people who live here without one and they seem to have survived.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
The issues of owning a gun here and every using it getting harsher it might not be worth the risk
Better with a shotgun bought legally here & loaded with rock salt - If that doesn't chase away anyone from your residence then your a goner.
Rock Salt makes a white cloud and stings like hell up to about 50 feet. It won't likely kill anyone unless fired at point blank range

Just the sound of a shotgun being fired is usually enough to scare away any would be robbers.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Very easy very expensive also ,reason a ladromes can’t shot straight bullets cost as much as gold here ;)
When purchasing them legally, I could not agree with you more.
Unfortunately the black market (thanks to our good neighbors
next door) makes it very easy and very affordable for anyone on
this side of the island with the right connections to buy as much
as they want as often as they need it. Hopefully as they continue
tightening the screws on the border this will change.

For those of you who continue complaining about the title of this
thread being misleading, I copied and pasted it directly from the
Dominican press so please..... :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
To be out after curfew... and packing 2 handguns qualifies that they are ladrones, no steotypes of any kind...but they were staying at new garden...and stupid I am not..............

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
To be out after curfew... and packing 2 handguns qualifies that they are ladrones, no steotypes of any kind...but they were staying at new garden...and stupid I am not..............
Where did you read that the tourists were packing guns? If that were they case, they would be in jail, too.

Reactions: Michael DR

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Correct cavok

Proven tests show that just hearing the 'pump' of a shotgun is enough to put fear in people

Click on the middle one

That's usually all it takes
No need to waste a shell
Most Dominicans are partially deaf from the ear-splitting sound levels of the music they listen to. Waste the shell!

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Maybe you have more facts from another article but I just re-read the article posted and see nothing about those robbed/beaten either were out past curfew nor were the owners of the weapons. I seriously doubt that if they were in possession of the weapons they would be allowed to just return to their hotel. "According to the report, the detainees intercepted the US citizens Blyden Chamel and Walker Raymond on Pedro Clisante street in the Batey sector, in Sosúa, hitting the first and pointing at the second to strip them of a guilloche and a gold chain respectively." I would assume that "pointing" in the usually bad Dominican Today writing implies "pointing a weapon". Your assumption that all guys staying at New Garden are some how thugs and/or criminals is a huge over reach. I can do without morning talks about the night before escapades by many that stay at New Garden but your implication is a whole other story/fabrication.
So please share your info that the guys that got beaten/robbed were 1. out after curfew and 2. the ones with the fire arms. I am not stupid either and have lived in the D.R. many years including Sosua but I don't like to stereotype nor jump to conclusions.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
One article I read said the thieves were captured in Montellano in the "madrugada" after a short car chase. That would seem to indicate that the robbery took place after midnight.

Reactions: USA DOC

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
One article I read said the thieves were captured in Montellano in the "madrugada" after a short car chase. That would seem to indicate that the robbery took place after midnight.
Possibly, or that they were just caught after curfew and did that article say anything about the guys robbed being in ownership of the firearms?

Reactions: USA DOC

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Possibly, or that they were just caught after curfew and did that article say anything about the guys robbed being in ownership of the firearms?
No, but it's hard to believe four unarmed men robbed two men with guns. The one robber was a PN. I'm sure one of those guns in the foto is his.

Reactions: Michael DR

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Anything is possible, but this happened Saturday night and I've heard Sosua is packed with people again. Very busy on Saturday nights on Pedro Clisante. Hard to imagine these guys being held up at gun point before midnight. I'm hearing some bars are even staying open after midnight.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Maybe you have more facts from another article but I just re-read the article posted and see nothing about those robbed/beaten either were out past curfew nor were the owners of the weapons. I seriously doubt that if they were in possession of the weapons they would be allowed to just return to their hotel. "According to the report, the detainees intercepted the US citizens Blyden Chamel and Walker Raymond on Pedro Clisante street in the Batey sector, in Sosúa, hitting the first and pointing at the second to strip them of a guilloche and a gold chain respectively." I would assume that "pointing" in the usually bad Dominican Today writing implies "pointing a weapon". Your assumption that all guys staying at New Garden are some how thugs and/or criminals is a huge over reach. I can do without morning talks about the night before escapades by many that stay at New Garden but your implication is a whole other story/fabrication.
So please share your info that the guys that got beaten/robbed were 1. out after curfew and 2. the ones with the fire arms. I am not stupid either and have lived in the D.R. many years including Sosua but I don't like to stereotype nor jump to conclusions.
When was the last time you were in new garden...of course if a few people staying at a hotel are ladrones, doesnt mean all guests are....I am sure this was a big misunderstanding between some Dominicans and 2 tourists that were out for a middle of the night walk , to get some of the fresh sosua air......

Status
Not open for further replies.