Police execute a young man in plain daylight.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
A few hyears ago during a moto sweep in Jarabacoa, I saw an AMET guy try to flag a muffinhead down who blew right past the AMET agent. 100' down the road another agent blasted the MotoMuffin right in the face with his fist, sending the moto guy crashing into a power pole and careening into a building.

They weren't messing around that day.

It's not hard to find motos on any street corner - with no brake light ( Nothing just the seat as the fender) and no front light (OK except the water-head probably rides at night too)

I'd like to see every moto & car stopped in roadside stops & checked and impounded if there is no working rear light (at least) or no vehicle papers, or insurance card or drivers without a license. - At least on the main roads during the day & all roads at night
Hey we all abide ( I assume) with the driving laws - if foreigners do it so should the locals.
The Dude Abides
Yeah it would be a hardship on many of the poor just trying for simple transportation - but so is a dead person

Well, it's not fair to say that no police here have guns...but this one didn't until he took it from another office. So "I of course cannot believe that all police here don't carry guns normally" is a better statement.

Regarding the plan to avoid resisting...What is the best case? You get away? What are the worst cases?
You get away but they get you later?
You don't get away and they beat the **** out of you?

If I was some thug who lived in the slums I might try to resist. I'm a gringo who has a lot to lose. I'm going to be as polite as hell and try everything I can to get the police to let me go before we get to jail, or at the least, get in touch with a friend who can help. I would never try to resist arrest.

That said I have no problem arguing with police who try to give me a multa for something stupid. But if they told me I was under arrest? Hello Officer I am so sorry how are you would you like a refresco???

My friends here are all, all, 100%, convinced it was murder by a policeman who was high on his authority. It's not like Trayvon Martin, where I knew people who felt Zimmerman might have been doing the right thing.

Since you are a gringo you can get away with A LOT more than any window washer can. They are very lenient with gringos from what I have seen and heard.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
While driving one Tuesday in Bavaro a kid on a moto conch was being flagged down by AMET for not wearing a helmet. The kid went around him and the cop pulled his gun and was about 1 second away from shooting the kid when he looked back, saw he was about to be killed and stopped.
I was watching this while talking on my cell phone, no seat belt on, and drinking a beer. I had no worries about being shot or stopped as it was a Tuesday and that is helmet day and helmet day only.
From that day forward it became as clear as daylight that the police here do not put up with any crap. If your asked to stop what your doing I suggest you stop. Its really hard to prove your point when your dead.

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
When I was in the military if you took someone's weapon like that you were going to do some time even if you didn't kill someone with it. Nothing you did after that would be considered accidental, just a continuation of the crime. The guy you took it from would be in some trouble also. Those guys didn't look like they were trained for anything much less firearms.

Natu

Jan 20, 2013
My Dominican friends are all in agreement in their shock and disgust. "How can you just murder a man?"

I heard that the officer was not supposed to have the gun, that only one person in the group was authorized to have the gun, but somehow it got handed off to this guy. He claims it was an accidental shot.

I of course cannot believe that police here don't carry guns. In the US they would have a comfortable air conditioner cruiser with a computer, shotgun and ar15 in the trunk, handgun with extra magazine plus a taser in their belt. Here the police get a stick and spend their free time begging for money in the form of regalito.

And apparently they don't have the common sense to know what a trigger does?

I also think the guy resisting arrest should be charged as an accomplice in the murder. Everyone knows you never resist. Go peacefully and call your lawyer when they let you.

Absolutely crazy situation. I doubt the police officer will survive. Prison justice. :(

Municipal police and national police are 2 totally different entities.. The dominican national police, which is what i would call the REAL police, are equipped with weapons ranging from hand guns to m16's and other fully automatic assault weapons, grenade launchers, tear gas bombs, riot shields, bullet proof vests, you name it.. Depending on what division and/or task force they belong to.

I would say the DR police is one of the more militarized on the whole Latin American region.. They're just incredibly corrupt.

user123

Aug 16, 2017
Thats pretrial

Pretrial in most cases is time given to the defendant (and his family) to pull all his resources and collect/borrow as much money as he can to pay the right people off, if he doesn't collect enough then they go to trail. In case of a police officer or a politician it is time until things cool down and the press moves on to the next scandal.