Police Traffic Stop

Status
Not open for further replies.

rey

Jan 2, 2007
So am thinking of buying me a car and driving for the first time in DR/Santo Domingo , How does one handle a police traffic stop ? Specially when you know the police just want “UN REGALITO $ “ and Specially a stop in which you have NOT commited any infraction and you as a tourist or resident are NOT doing nothing ilegal .

The main reason is cause I know myself I will never ever give a penny to them , i refuse to be a sucker…

So with that being said here are some questions about what they can or can not do on a traffic stop / check point

Can they search you vehicles under the famous line “ ESTO ES UN CHEQUEO RUTINARIO” ?

Can they body search you( pat you down ) under the famous line “ esto es un chequeo rutinario” ?

Can they check your cellphone and make you unlocked it under “ esto es un chequeo rutinario”

can they take you to the precinct under the famous line “ esto es un chequeo rutinario” ?

Can they ask for more identification besides license and CAR papers ?

Can they ARREST you specially if you DO not give them a CONTRIBUTION $ ?

rey

Jan 2, 2007
I don't drive so only as a passenger have I ever been stopped. It was in Santiago. I gave the guy 200 DOP because he was very nice about it. Most of them need it more than me.
Thank you sir for your answer and reply …
Nice input

thompstr

Mar 21, 2018
So am thinking of buying me a car and driving for the first time in DR/Santo Domingo , How does one handle a police traffic stop ? Specially when you know the police just want “UN REGALITO $ “ and Specially a stop in which you have NOT commited any infraction and you as a tourist or resident are NOT doing nothing ilegal .

The main reason is cause I know myself I will never ever give a penny to them , i refuse to be a sucker…

So with that being said here are some questions about what they can or can not do on a traffic stop / check point

Can they search you vehicles under the famous line “ ESTO ES UN CHEQUEO RUTINARIO” ?

Can they body search you( pat you down ) under the famous line “ esto es un chequeo rutinario” ?

Can they check your cellphone and make you unlocked it under “ esto es un chequeo rutinario”

can they take you to the precinct under the famous line “ esto es un chequeo rutinario” ?

How old are you
Seems like you THINK you have more money then brains
One post you said let had to go back to USA cause your broke, now want to come back and be a big spender...good luck

rey

Jan 2, 2007
How old are you
Seems like you THINK you have more money then brains
One post you said let had to go back to USA cause your broke, now want to come back and be a big spender...good luck
Big spender ??? What !

Am buying me a sonata orange car like year 2010 or something like that

It’s like $100,000 pesos you think that’s a big spender my brothers

Any ways can you reply back with some answers to questions on the post

Thank you sir

AlaPlaya

Frequent Flyer
Jan 7, 2021
Texas

I have only ever been asked once for money from a police officer that wanted a hamburger, and that was in Las Terrenas. I have driven all over the country without incident. Most traffic stops are normal. Follow the law, don't get stopped. When you get closer to the Haitian border, police check the vehicles for Haitians, and sometimes verify documents (license, passport, insurance, car ownership).

Reactions: rey

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Rey, you will be a guest in the DR so you are under their rules. I have lived in the DR for over 25 years, and I have never had any serious issue with being stopped. The occasional "propina request" but nothing more. Follow the rules as AlaPlaya said. You are asking a lot of "what if" questions on numerous threads. You have been given many responses but everyone's experiences may be different. You need to learn/experience these things for yourself.

Last edited:

rey

Jan 2, 2007
Rey, you will be a guest in the DR so you are under their rules. I have lived in the DR for over 25 years, and I have never had any serious issue with being stopped. The occasional "propina request" but nothing more. Follow the rules as AlaPlaya said. You are asking a lot of "what if" questions on numerous threads. You have been given many responses but everyone experiences may be different. You need to learn/experience these things for yourself.
Yes sir , thank your for answer and advised

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016

Can they search you vehicles under the famous line “ ESTO ES UN CHEQUEO RUTINARIO” ? Yes, but they hardly do it.

Can they body search you( pat you down ) under the famous line “ esto es un chequeo rutinario” ? Yes, but they hardly do it.

Can they check your cellphone and make you unlocked it under “ esto es un chequeo rutinario” No

can they take you to the precinct under the famous line “ esto es un chequeo rutinario” ? Yes, but they could, but hardly do it.

Can they ask for more identification besides license and CAR papers ? Yes, but they hardly do it.

Can they ARREST you specially if you DO not give them a CONTRIBUTION $ ? No.

chicagoan14

Apr 2, 2019
Depends on the reason for the traffic stop. Most of the "operativos" they do are usually professional as there sometimes are different agencies there watching each other.
Only time I've had my car searched was a time I was in San Pedro on the Malecon and there was a shooting. My friend and I (both black) fit the description of the shooters (dos morenos) and they searched us and my vehicle.

Sometimes they might stop you for nothing if they think they can get away with it, my philosophy is "pay first" 200-500 pesos is not worth the trouble of me showing all my documents or having to go to the bank and pay a fine. Sometimes they'll stop you and be kind and upfront, "I just want a plate of the day"
Sometimes they'll see you're a foreigner and let you go.
Other times you get your car towed while the sun is still going down for a burned light bulb.

Reactions: drstock and rey

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Owning a vehicle/ driving in this country
would take the fun out of living here.. so I don't.
That said, I have been in the passenger seat on
more than one occasion when stopped at a
road block. Playing dumb, "me tourist, no speaka espanol"
seems to do the trick even with open containers
in the car.

Reactions: slowmo and Kricke87

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
Big spender ??? What !

Am buying me a sonata orange car like year 2010 or something like that

It’s like $100,000 pesos you think that’s a big spender my brothers

Any ways can you reply back with some answers to questions on the post

Thank you sir
First of all, good luck getting ANY decent car for $100,000 pesos, and those Orange Sonatas 2010 is around 300k just as an FYI.
Secondly as already everybody else has stated, just give them the "regalito", it's easier than being a d**k about it.

Unlike everybody else, I think this guy is hilarious with all of his "what if" questions, it gives me a great laugh on a rainy day :ROFLMAO:

rey

Jan 2, 2007
First of all, good luck getting ANY decent car for $100,000 pesos, and those Orange Sonatas 2010 is around 300k just as an FYI.
Secondly as already everybody else has stated, just give them the "regalito", it's easier than being a d**k about it.

Unlike everybody else, I think this guy is hilarious with all of his "what if" questions, it gives me a great laugh on a rainy day :ROFLMAO:
Thanks you for your “answer” to the OP questions …. Duly noted

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Thanks you for your “answer” to the OP questions …. Duly noted

Where have you been car "shopping", Rey?

Keep in mind prices on supercarros are higher than most other sites like marketplace and corotos.

Memo

Jul 30, 2005
Las Galeras
www.elotrowa.com
In years past it was more common to be stopped and solicited. Much less frequent now.

Back in the day I developed a standard response: "I have my documents in order and am happy to show them to you. I do not have a firearm; I do not have drugs, and I am sorry--I have no money for you." Never once paid a bribe to be set loose and I always conclude with "Thank-you for your service."

The point someone previously made that the police are underpaid is still true. Ditto for teachers, everywhere.

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
I have been stopped three times in Sosua in the past month by digesett or whatever they are called now. Just checking papers,all spoke english and were polite as can be,nobody asked for money and none was given.

Reactions: slowmo and JD Jones
Status
Not open for further replies.