Policing Tourists

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
If you invite foreigners, you are expected to try and keep them safe, and respond accordingly to issues as they arise. Within the limits of normal operations of course.

No, tourists should not by default enjoy more service than a Dominican be they 80 years old or 3 years old. The police need to be in a position to respond effectively, logically and consistently across the country when called upon to do so. Foreigners need to be explicitly told where they are and what they can expect - responsibility of the home country's foreign affairs/travel dept.

The police however, need leadership with functioning neurons and codified procedures to deal with time sensitive investigations. As the PN develops into a credible force, they need manuals and checklists to refer to for the various situations. Foreign police depts can help with these lists and the PN can perform the steps as funds and expertise are available. The response for similar situations should be consistent and not dependent on the experience and decision making abilities of the commander that happens to be on duty at the time the telephone rings.

Clearly documented steps can ensure that something important is less likely to fall through the cracks.

So, the police professionalism and response should be consistent based on the situation at hand, not based on who is involved.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Yes... I think you have missed something

I agree , the number of incidents isn't a big % but the insistence on more Attention/help than the country is capable of might be a burden

An imball\nace as BB says.

The tourist expect more than the citizen gets....

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
.............DR receive millions of tourists yearly, we can count on one hand the number of cases, unless I have missed something, lol :)

and most of those cases revolves around the tourist doing something stupid. Whatever happened with the kite boarder in Cabarete where his friend took off and went home a day early?

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
I've know quite a few tourists that have gotten robbed in Sosua. All of them let their guard down in some way. Being drunk in public, counting money while walking on the street, showing off expensive jewelry, bragging about what they have or leaving a window open when they left their condo. Act smart, be humble and respect the country and you should be fine. Let the police deal with real issues and not stupidity.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
You're not naive enough to think that the family didn't 'incent' the police with some cash are you.?

That's where the $$ talks - in the hands of the investigators

an old saying...
Money doesn't talk --- IT SCREAMS!!!

Yes I was :lick:

It comes out to the same, the money DR could potentially lose if their image was tarnished and lose their first place as Caribbean destination, may be worth the effort for the Brian And Jenny who wandered off their resort. It is not like the PN is experiencing a budget crisis because of these few (isolated?) cases.

I am no way saying that the life of a visitor is more valuable than any Dominican by the way.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
...I say they solved this most recent missing persons in a timely manner.

Might that be because it wasn't you that was missing and lying unidentified in a hospital with no one actively trying to figure out who you are?

Not looking for an argument, just a little more reflection on the situation and perhaps a realization that more could have and should have been done to shorten the time needed to bring the matter to a conclusion. The outcome might not have changed I admit.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I've know quite a few tourists that have gotten robbed in Sosua. All of them let their guard down in some way. Being drunk in public, counting money while walking on the street, showing off expensive jewelry, bragging about what they have or leaving a window open when they left their condo. Act smart, be humble and respect the country and you should be fine. Let the police deal with real issues and not stupidity.

Succinctly put..... and accurate

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Wandering off drunk
Shacking up with a partner for a few days - incommunicado...

The police chase.... to no avail... false alarm

IN the US - don't the police seek compensation for time wasted ??
on a frivolous case ??

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Might that be because it wasn't you that was missing and lying unidentified in a hospital with no one actively trying to figure out who you are?

Not looking for an argument, just a little more reflection on the situation and perhaps a realization that more could have and should have been done to shorten the time needed to bring the matter to a conclusion. The outcome might not have changed I admit.

Exactly the point of this thread gringo. I honestly believe more was done simply because it was a tourist involved.

Also the truth of the matter we only know what is written up in the newspapers. Quite often police have info days in advance of going public so you really don't know for sure when they found out what.

Victims families always feel they are not getting enough information fast enough all over the world.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Exactly the point of this thread gringo. I honestly believe more was done simply because it was a tourist involved.

Also the truth of the matter we only know what is written up in the newspapers. Quite often police have info days in advance of going public so you really don't know for sure when they found out what.

Victims families always feel they are not getting enough information fast enough all over the world.

I can't argue the veracity of those observations except to suggest that relating to "more was done". I feel that the bare minimum was done and if that is more, then god help us all when we need it.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I can't argue the veracity of those observations except to suggest that relating to "more was done". I feel that the bare minimum was done and if that is more, then god help us all when we need it.

Missing Persons cases only so much you can do because most times you really are just trying to locate the bodies. If the PN had moved like a speeding bullet the outcome would have been no different.

Dr_Taylor

Oct 18, 2017
I think what the thought here is are the Dominican authorities supposed to Go ALL Out because it was a tourist involved? One thing happens to a tourist and same thing happens to a local should more effort be spent because it was a tourist?

At the end of the day, negative tourist news stories where it APPEARS that the DR did not provide the expected level of assistance will hurt the DR in potential tourist income. The government knows this. U.S. nationals, for example, who fly to the DR for vacation can fly to Southern Spain for virtually the same price. The DR government knows this.

Dr_Taylor

Oct 18, 2017
I hear you, if an 80 year old Dominican grandma went missing do you think the PN would drop everything they are doing to locate here. I think NOT, so does a tourist rate higher than locals.

Passing for a moment upon the fairness: If an 80 year old Dominican grandma goes missing, you will not have an influential foreign embassy and a foreign family with some cash pushing the authorities to do their job. Moreover, you will not have an international press corps proclaiming the authorities incompetent or uncaring. Governments are sensitive to this. Many years ago, perhaps decades, some Chinese tourists in a northeastern U.S. city found themselves in an unfortunate situation. The U.S. Commerce Department, the governor, and the mayor leaned to the police to solve the situation. Solve it they did in two days.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The efficient use of time and resources to bring about the ultimate conclusion frees up those resources for subsequent tasks.

When these situations apply to others, to us it makes no difference and we can wait an extra week or two. Theoretically, if the women had been identified on Mar 28 or 29th, maybe she could have been relocated to a better hospital or back the the USA for treatment.

Would that have changed the outcome, I don't know? In this case, based on my understanding of the limited resources and expertise available to the PN, this women should have and easily could have been almost conclusively identified several days before she passed away.

A flag should have been raised as soon as the report of a female tourist going missing was filed and almost immediately linked to a report of an unidentified female lying in a Santo Domingo hospital with serious injuries, scooped up near the airport by 911 where the missing tourist was headed on the very same day she failed to arrive.

This isn't extra policing or extra attention, this is basic policing and basic information exchange between the police, the hospitals and the 911 system and the ability of the police to match two pieces of paper together in a timely manner.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
At the end of the day, negative tourist news stories where it APPEARS that the DR did not provide the expected level of assistance will hurt the DR in potential tourist income. The government knows this. U.S. nationals, for example, who fly to the DR for vacation can fly to Southern Spain for virtually the same price. The DR government knows this.

exactly, exactly, exactly and some are crying they didn't do enough? Heck if it wasn't for the circumstances they would not have done as much as they did.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005

Would that have changed the outcome, I don't know? In this case, based on my understanding of the limited resources and expertise available to the PN, this women should have and easily could have been almost conclusively identified several days before she passed away. .

like i said in the past gringo, all depends on what you have read. I read an article the hospital stated her face was so mangled up she was unrecognizable and refused to release a photo.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
By Cdn Gringo

A flag should have been raised as soon as the report of a female tourist going missing was filed and almost immediately linked to a report of an unidentified female lying in a Santo Domingo hospital with serious injuries, scooped up near the airport by 911 where the missing tourist was headed on the very same day she failed to arrive.

This isn't extra policing or extra attention, this is basic policing and basic information exchange between the police, the hospitals and the 911 system and the ability of the police to match two pieces of paper together in a timely manner.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How many unidentified were there in hospitals during those days.... indeed Morenas

KM 19 might not be considered -on the way to the airport - remembering the last sighting was much closer to the airport.

All clear now - when we assume they missed a turn and wound up where they shouldn't be
Where they shouldn't be is NOT where you start a search

I have trouble faulting the police here.... they aren't Columbo - I agree.

The system is the system.... it is what it is.... a bit understaffed and underfunded

for the unfortunate victims....
stupid is as stupid does... sorry.
Striking out (drunk?) in the dark without knowing the way in a foreign language country isn't too bright - IMO

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Can I get an Amen? Let the gospel truth be told.

I believe the PN did a good job, once the case hit the international media.

Now, It seems* that they waited till the case gathered attention/coverage overseas, and that may be what people are criticizing (and makes you & WW mad, lol)...

*no one knows for sure. And, I can see how an unconscious morena did not raise suspicions.