Political ideology in the DR

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Could it be the main parties and the majority of Dominicans fundamentally are in agreement with the existing system. They just want to improve it. So there is not a strong movement to change the system. I refer to especially the economic system. I don’t know If I agree with you it being very right leaning. They have labor laws protecting workers and they are trying with the public health care and PRM wants to improve that and introduce universal health care. I think I read that somewhere.

If TRUE transparency is really in order, the coffers may start to show their true value after 16 years.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Regarding the Haitian issue, the RD is it's own sovereign nation. I believe both parties understand this.

So what? So they understand they are a sovereign nation? That doesn't solve any problem. What are they going to do about the porous border? They have to allow some entry. How many? Can they hitch it to an unemployment rate? Can they implement rules like the USA where the employer is fined for having illegal aliens working?

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
It is of my opinion that the Haitian problem remain there, in Haiti. I have never differed on this.
In regards to the border, I would like to see an absolute crush of corruption along this location, and the law enforced 100%, protecting the borders of a sovereign nation. Entry can be monitored and controlled by permitting those with validated work papers to enter, as should already be done.....without the corruption.

Reactions: bob saunders

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Not even close, no bodies for Leonel or Margarita.

If those foreign bank accounts were tallied together, you would find the monies to improve the education and health sectors, as well as a possible new energy grid.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
It is of my opinion that the Haitian problem remain there, in Haiti. I have never differed on this.
In regards to the border, I would like to see an absolute crush of corruption along this location, and the law enforced 100%, protecting the borders of a sovereign nation. Entry can be monitored and controlled by permitting those with validated work papers to enter, as should already be done.....without the corruption.

It is unrealistic to think that enforcing the law 100% is going to solve any problem. There has to be workable solutions. It is in the DR's best interest to get Haiti to help them. It has to be a 2 way street. There needs to be serious discussion and then a good plan.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
If those foreign bank accounts were tallied together, you would find the monies to improve the education and health sectors, as well as a possible new energy grid.
Possibly true, but it isn't really money need to improve those three areas as much as is a practical organized plan. The plan over the past twenty years has been do less with more, when the thinking needs to be do more with less. Properly trained teachers, better equipped hospitals ( yes that cost money, but if the bids are properly screened and processed, audited...etc then you actual get what you paid for) . Stopping theft of electricity and improving the grid are long term problems requiring incremental steps to fix.

Reactions: aarhus and Caonabo

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
It is unrealistic to think that enforcing the law 100% is going to solve any problem. There has to be workable solutions. It is in the DR's best interest to get Haiti to help them. It has to be a 2 way street. There needs to be serious discussion and then a good plan.

I respectfully disagree. The only workable solution I see for Haiti, is for Haiti to clean up their own mess, and do better for their own people. This could start with Haitians who have moved abroad, and turned their backs on their countrymen.
The RD does not need Haiti's assistance. The RD has to cut down on corruption, and finally enforce the security of the border.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I think the elephant questions that are in the room and hoovers over the discussion on Haiti is: Would Dominicans (males) do the work that Haitians currently do? Would they work for the same wages? I'm not talking about cutting cane. I am basically referring to manual construction and jobs of that ilk. Keep in mind the Mexican situation in U.S. agriculture .

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
It seems to me that which party you vote for here is much like which sports team you root for - no ideology, principals, or reason needed.
Or the best looking overall

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Correct you are. Perhaps I'll just respond in Spanish, so as not to have my comments based in truth misinterpreted as verbal abuse.
As mentioned previously, many have been on edge this week. Myself included.
I will work on my tan today, and attempt to sweat out the impurities.

I'm working on mine too.
Finished with an A+ in my
anger management class today
and was even handed a "hero"
cookie on my way out the door.
I've no doubt my dear fren El Rey de Plantano
will be proud.
:cool: WLM.

Reactions: Caonabo

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
I think the elephant questions that are in the room and hoovers over the discussion on Haiti is: Would Dominicans (males) do the work that Haitians currently do? Would they work for the same wages? I'm not talking about cutting cane. I am basically referring to manual construction and jobs of that ilk. Keep in mind the Mexican situation in U.S. agriculture .

I think that's why you need some legal workers from Haiti and a penalty for employers that hire illegals.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Lots of Dominicans work in construction and in the 1970s all the construction was done by Dominicans so yes Dominicans will and do work the same jobs. Agriculture , perhaps not but for higher wages yes. It is possible to have legal work visas for Haitians and kick all the illegals out. Our gardener is Dominican and about half of the construction crew on our school was Dominican. Just need to have control of the bordeer and a working guest worker program. No need to kick every Haitian out.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
I'm working on mine too.
Finished with an A+ in my
anger management class today
and was even handed a "hero"
cookie on my way out the door.
I've no doubt my dear fren El Rey de Plantano
will be proud.
:cool: WLM.

El Rey caught a red card. Seems he may have to have a sit down before the Commission.

• Haha
Reactions: CristoRey

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Ok so I am only guilty of being stupid. I can live with that.
We all stupid. :coffee:

I've been here 18 years and when I ask a Dominican friend to explain a particular point of Dominican politics my eyes roll back in my head.

We're not in Kansas

European and Latin American football loyalty comes close to describing Dominican politics.

The old days of violence in Dominican politics have settled down but I suspect the beast is just below the surface.
Can Abinader tame the corruption? I hope so but I think of the phrase "riding the tiger".

"The sun will rise, the sun will set and I will have lunch."
-Lou Gorman

Reactions: AlterEgo

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
We all stupid. :coffee:

I've been here 18 years and when I ask a Dominican friend to explain a particular point of Dominican politics my eyes roll back in my head.

We're not in Kansas

European and Latin American football loyalty comes close to describing Dominican politics.

The old days of violence in Dominican politics have settled down but I suspect the beast is just below the surface.
Can Abinader tame the corruption? I hope so but I think of the phrase "riding the tiger".

"The sun will rise, the sun will set and I will have lunch."
-Lou Gorman
I don’t know. They appointed some judge from Dominican got talent for a government position. Maybe sums it up. Its like a popularity contest or beauty contest.

I switched from coffee to tea. Have had some withdrawals with irritability from quitting coffee. My new routine at the beach is exercising swimming first thing in the morning and I then prepare a breakfast with boiled eggs, bread or cassava with butter or cheese and various fruits and maybe some oatmeal or cereal. A balanced diet.

Reactions: Caonabo