Politicians line up to compete for National District mayor seat

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
ADN-logo-e1584990421956.png

National District Mayor Carolina Mejia has not announced whether she will seek a second term, running for office on the ruling Modern Revolutionary Party (PRM) ticket in the February 2024 municipal election.

Already, the president of the Chamber of Deputies, long time legislator Alfredo Pacheco has expressed his aspirations to the position, if Mejia decides not to run. It would be the second time he runs for mayor.

Meanwhile, several politicians have already announced their aspirations. These include Janet Camilo and Graciano Jimenez for the Dominican Revolutionary Party (PRD).

Former Education Minister Andres Navarro has aspirations to run for the Dominican Liberation Party (PLD). Others that seek to be the PLD candidate are Domingo Contreras, who was the runner-up to Carolina Mejia in 2020.

Read more in...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
The problem for all local governments in the DR is that they have no funding and can not do anything worthwhile . From memory I think local governments have less than 5 % of the central government expenditure and there is a dreadful fight between councils for the small pool of money available. The biggest tasks seem to be the collection of rubbish in the streets and the pounding of stray dogs and also the planting and maintenance of trees . However in the National District, councilors can still get their hands on grants from the UN or similar bodies for Heritage works.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
The problem for all local governments in the DR is that they have no funding and can not do anything worthwhile . From memory I think local governments have less than 5 % of the central government expenditure and there is a dreadful fight between councils for the small pool of money available. The biggest tasks seem to be the collection of rubbish in the streets and the pounding of stray dogs and also the planting and maintenance of trees . However in the National District, councilors can still get their hands on grants from the UN or similar bodies for Heritage works.
The money is definitely there. They need to increase the percentage/ amount of government expenditure the local municipalities recieve.

FF1

Dec 17, 2022
DR
I think they get funding from Liga Municipal Dominicana, and that thing has always been the most corrupt and the biggest money-maker for the politicos. Amable run it for years and it was so profitable every time he won the senatorial seat he gave it up to stay in charge of LMD.

Reactions: CristoRey

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
Carolina Mejía should forgo another candidacy for mayor, as she's presidential material, although not in '24.

The argument against David Collado is that he's in the pocket of big business, such as Corripio and others, but aren't they all?
Collado would be a great president, in my opinion.

José Ignacio Paliza is another shining star.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
Carolina Mejía should forgo another candidacy for mayor, as she's presidential material, although not in '24.

The argument against David Collado is that he's in the pocket of big business, such as Corripio and others, but aren't they all?
Collado would be a great president, in my opinion.

José Ignacio Paliza is another shining star.
Why would it be anybody else but Luis Abinader ? Running maybe against Leonel Fernandez and a new PLD candidate. In 2024.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Why would it be anybody else but Luis Abinader ? Running maybe against Leonel Fernandez and a new PLD candidate. In 2024.

David Collado is connected to the most powerful and one of the most successful families in the country. And he is excellent at what he does, he's done a very good job in tourism and is being tipped by a lot of people to be the most likely next president. That's why.

Reactions: Lucifer

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
David Collado is connected to the most powerful and one of the most successful families in the country. And he is excellent at what he does, he's done a very good job in tourism and is being tipped by a lot of people to be the most likely next president. That's why.
So for 2024 there might be a primary with Luis and David ?

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
As a sitting president, Abinader is a shoo-in for his party's candidacy in '24, no doubt. But due to constitutional limitations, others are already jockeying for position for '28, namely Ms. Mejía, Collado, Faride, Paliza, etc...

PLD already has Santiago's current mayor, Abel Martínez, as its candidate for '24.

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
As a sitting president, Abinader is a shoo-in for his party's candidacy in '24, no doubt. But due to constitutional limitations, others are already jockeying for position for '28, namely Ms. Mejía, Collado, Faride, Paliza, etc...

PLD already has Santiago's current mayor, Abel Martínez, as its candidate for '24.
Ok I didn’t know Abel Martinez was already the candidate for the PLD. It’s my guess that Luis will cruise through it and win. I like Faride but doubt she will be a candidate for 28. Probably Collado.

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
Agree on Collado, as he represents, along with Faride and Paliza (and C. Mejía, by virtue of her present position, as well as Hipólito's daughter, with her dad being a powerbroker and extremely influential in many internal decisions) the future of the PRM, UNLESS, of course, he (Collado, that is) doesn't switch party allegiance, as some Dominican politicians are wont to do in search of better electoral odds.

Some of the other PRM stalwarts, such as Guido Gómez Mazara, Ramón Alburquerque, and Roberto Furcal may seek nomination but, in my opinion, their chances are slim to none, and Slim just left town.

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
Ok I didn’t know Abel Martinez was already the candidate for the PLD.
Correct.

Abel Martínez garnered the most votes (60.9%) in the PLD consultation, edging out former Attorney General, Domínguez Brito (20.8%), and former VP, Margarita Cedeño (16.2%).

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
Agree on Collado, as he represents, along with Faride and Paliza (and C. Mejía, by virtue of her present position, as well as Hipólito's daughter, with her dad being a powerbroker and extremely influential in many internal decisions) the future of the PRM, UNLESS, of course, he (Collado, that is) doesn't switch party allegiance, as some Dominican politicians are wont to do in search of better electoral odds.

Some of the other PRM stalwarts, such as Guido Gómez Mazara, Ramón Alburquerque, and Roberto Furcal may seek nomination but, in my opinion, their chances are slim to none, and Slim just left town.
I would also think Carolina Mejia has the best chances for 28.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Ok I didn’t know Abel Martinez was already the candidate for the PLD. It’s my guess that Luis will cruise through it and win. I like Faride but doubt she will be a candidate for 28. Probably Collado.
The poor in this country, which is the majority of the population here, are not happy about the higher cost of living that accompanied Luis's rise to power. Obviously we understand he is not 100% responsible for this but in the eyes of the poor he most definitely is.
I like Abel Martinez. He's done a fantastic job as Mayor of Santiago and if I were a citizen I'd vote for him.

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
The poor in this country, which is the majority of the population here, are not happy about the higher cost of living that accompanied Luis's rise to power. Obviously we understand he is not 100% responsible for this but in the eyes of the poor he most definitely is.
I like Abel Martinez. He's done a fantastic job as Mayor of Santiago and if I were a citizen I'd vote for him.
I don’t personally support Luis. Just thought his position was strong.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
So for 2024 there might be a primary with Luis and David ?

I think the last few years have been pretty much that. Every time Luis does something David is there and vice versa. David is constantly doing presidential things like inaugurating the renovation of the Malecon in SD Este.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019

Fair point but follow the money. When those rich families want something they usually get it.

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
I think the last few years have been pretty much that. Every time Luis does something David is there and vice versa. David is constantly doing presidential things like inaugurating the renovation of the Malecon in SD Este.
Must be annoying for Luis but true it’s David you see more in the news