Polydactylism in the DR

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Or nose picking ? William you have to stop drinking before noon. :lick:

hahaha

True story
my 67 yr old friend is having some prostate issues... night time frequency... here in RD

He has recognized he needs to improve his sleep patterns and has decided to start drinking earlier...
to avoid the night disruptions

Early is what you make of it...

The world is full of them -- huh ?

Seriously....

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Right, I can see that.  My dad was disappointed that none of us were left handed as he is.  Although extra digits- I doubt it.  

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Drinking Again

I can't stop...

It is a common practice when asked 'How much liquor' for your drink to answer

'Two fingers'

I would hire one of these people to go with me to bars

'Six fingers for me please'

hahahaha

OK OK... I'll stop

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
hahaha

True story
my 67 yr old friend is having some prostate issues... night time frequency... here in RD

He has recognized he needs to improve his sleep patterns and has decided to start drinking earlier...
to avoid the night disruptions

Early is what you make of it...

The world is full of them -- huh ?

Seriously....
Tell him to buy Flowmax

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
I love genetics because it's wonderfully complex. Apparently my enthusiasm rubbed off on my daughter as she is persuing a doctorate in it. I've seen genetics to through 2 or 3 revolutions in my lifetime and I'm not even close to retirement age.

my knowledge comes from high school Mendellian genetics which is the most common, but according to Wikipedia there are 38 mutations that give rise to polydactylism. And there also do constellations of genes that can do the same. So, we can both be right.

However, the most common citation for inbreeding is the Amish which is a dominate trait.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polydactyly

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
The Amish polydactylism example stems from a larger disorder, Ellis-van Creveld disease.  This is the result of extreme genetic drift, specifically called the “founder effect”.  The founder effect happens when there is limited genetic variation “when a new population is established by a very small number of individuals from a larger population”.  

It is still not the result of dominant genes being passed along, but rather the recessive ones are given to children by both parents and therefore seen more frequently. 

This link explains the Amish example and all I’ve mentioend above quite well: 

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/evolution/library/06/3/l_063_03.html

(I’m having trouble including the links, not sure why) 

Can we assume the founder effect is the culprit in the DR?  But then also, is polydactylism in the DR a result of a larger disease as seen in the Pennsylvanian Amish? 

I’d still like to know if there has been an academic study of some sort.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I asked around...

Not that common a sight, but not rare either.....

Usually the small finger - some with , some without bones.
Many have them removed .
Certainly all Dominicans who are afflicted

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I asked around...

Not that common a sight, but not rare either.....

Usually the small finger - some with , some without bones.
Many have them removed .
Certainly all Dominicans who are afflicted

JDFriend

the Translator
May 15, 2007
The Amish polydactylism example stems from a larger disorder, Ellis-van Creveld disease.  This is the result of extreme genetic drift, specifically called the “founder effect”.  The founder effect happens when there is limited genetic variation “when a new population is established by a very small number of individuals from a larger population”.  

It is still not the result of dominant genes being passed along, but rather the recessive ones are given to children by both parents and therefore seen more frequently. 

This link explains the Amish example and all I’ve mentioend above quite well: 

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/evolution/library/06/3/l_063_03.html

(I’m having trouble including the links, not sure why) 

Can we assume the founder effect is the culprit in the DR?  But then also, is polydactylism in the DR a result of a larger disease as seen in the Pennsylvanian Amish? 

I’d still like to know if there has been an academic study of some sort.
I have a Dominican friend in Juan Dolio who has the additional digit on each hand (no bone). I think he's the only one in his family. Did not see any need to get them removed.

Sent from my SGH-T999V using Tapatalk

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I had never noticed it, but after asking wife and in-laws, they all know somebody with an extra finger or toe.
Apparently mostly next to the pinky, and always boneless.
cin-queño ( spelling ? ) they call it.......

I need to check now when i am out and about lol.