Pool maintenance questions.... yes!

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
My wife has been hounding me for a pool.
Stories like this are great fodder for me to keep on resisting.
I would buy a boat here long before a pool.
At least I could sell a boat.
Good time for a pool for me would be just prior to selling the house.

A good friend of mine in Florida made a lot of money, owns a pool service business.
I wanna go swimming I go to the beach or over to your house to swim in your pool.
for me the pool is essential . I take a dip when its hot 5 or more times a day to cool off. A boat would be fun but higher maintenience costs. Plus very hot.

Reactions: AlaPlaya

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
One pool supply store recommended I try a simpler approach first than replacing the sand filter with another variety.

Replace the "laterals" in my sand filter. The filter is over 30 years old and those somewhat fragile pieces of plastic could be cracked, rendering them ineffective.
He also mentioned replacing the valve which changes the function from filter to waste, etc, but I had just done that and it didn't help.
Those laterals may be attempted over the next day or two.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The price of granulated (and puck) trichlor really went up during the past several months.
The best price I found was 18,000 RD for a 50 Kg "tank" and that was in Puerto Plata.
Locally in the Sosua region it was 25,000 RD where I bought some in March 2021 for $10,260 RD.
Covid inflation price, I guess.

Another shipment is not due until January from what the vendors told me.

fido

Jun 18, 2015
One pool supply store recommended I try a simpler approach first than replacing the sand filter with another variety.

Replace the "laterals" in my sand filter. The filter is over 30 years old and those somewhat fragile pieces of plastic could be cracked, rendering them ineffective.
He also mentioned replacing the valve which changes the function from filter to waste, etc, but I had just done that and it didn't help.
Those laterals may be attempted over the next day or two.
I believe one of the symptoms of a broken lateral is if you have sand in your pool. So, do you see or catch any sand from your pool ?

Reactions: XTraveller

fido

Jun 18, 2015
The price of granulated (and puck) trichlor really went up during the past several months.
The best price I found was 18,000 RD for a 50 Kg "tank" and that was in Puerto Plata.
Locally in the Sosua region it was 25,000 RD where I bought some in March 2021 for $10,260 RD.

Yeah, I was going to tell the same - I got lucky (I am in Santo Domingo) that I picked up some pucks the other day at the innovacion that they have some 50-pucks buckets and it cost me less than 7,000 for around 150, which should last me the whole 2022 season. But is not just the price, it is the availability, you don't seem to get anywhere pucks in bulks anymore.

AlaPlaya

Frequent Flyer
Jan 7, 2021
Texas

Depends if they're manufacturing them in the DR, or importing from the US. There were widespread shortages of chlorine in the US this year due to a significant drop in manufacturing capacity after a fire in the summer of 2020 at a manufacturer, and an increase in demand after people started using their pools more because of covid.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Depends if they're manufacturing them in the DR, or importing from the US. There were widespread shortages of chlorine in the US this year due to a significant drop in manufacturing capacity after a fire in the summer of 2020 at a manufacturer, and an increase in demand after people started using their pools more because of covid.
I always thought the Trichlor was made here, but I have no way to know for sure. If a new shipment is need in January, then perhaps it was always imported.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Yeah, I was going to tell the same - I got lucky (I am in Santo Domingo) that I picked up some pucks the other day at the innovacion that they have some 50-pucks buckets and it cost me less than 7,000 for around 150, which should last me the whole 2022 season. But is not just the price, it is the availability, you don't seem to get anywhere pucks in bulks anymore.
Fido, what's the manufacturer info on the bucket?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Another thing I was wondering is about quality variation between pucks?
That is the 64 peso question.

Sorry ahead of time for this: "How the puck should I know? "
"I stopped measuring their purity in my lab long ago. "
etc,

• Haha
Reactions: AlaPlaya

fido

Jun 18, 2015
Oh and while we are on the subject of pucks: do you guys use a floater or just throw them in the skimmer ?

I have read mixed opinions on the subject

AlaPlaya

Frequent Flyer
Jan 7, 2021
Texas
Oh and while we are on the subject of pucks: do you guys use a floater or just throw them in the skimmer ?

I have read mixed opinions on the subject
You'll go through them quicker if you put them in the skimmer and run your pump a lot. But I think most people prefer this route, especially with the high temperature here.