POP airport might not open for tourism until 2021

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
Pretty soon all this quarantine, closed airports and masks will be forgotten like a f*rt at an outdoor bar.
People are already beginning to realize we were duped.
All you who are still wringing your hands over 100,000 dead from Covid 19 - it didn't work ....life will soon return to normal and some politicians will pay a heavy price for trying to stall the world economy for political gain.
POP will be open in full by fall

Pretty soon....like fall 2021?

spanky27312

Dec 7, 2008
Pretty soon all this quarantine, closed airports and masks will be forgotten like a f*rt at an outdoor bar.
All you who are still wringing your hands over 100,000 dead from Covid 19 - it didn't work ....life will soon return to normal and some politicians will pay a heavy price for trying to stall the world economy for political gain.

Well, I just read the president wants another 25 days of quarantine.... what h... no way the Dominican people are going to stand for that.
I’am beginning to believe Mr. T is making sense.

Reactions: csteinwand

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Are there any commercial flights from US and DR?
I thought all air lines suspended international operations due Corona Virus.

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
Are there any commercial flights from US and DR?
I thought all air lines suspended international operations due Corona Virus.
Nope. Only Cargo and special ferry flights to bring folks home.

But there is a great sport here on DR1 guessing when that might happen.

One another thread is dedicated to that question.Quite entertaining and sometimes interesting as well.

During quarantine, we have a lot of time to kill!

Reactions: aarhus and bachata

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
Nope. Only Cargo and special ferry flights to bring folks home.

But there is a great sport here on DR1 guessing when that might happen.

One another thread is dedicated to that question.Quite entertaining and sometimes interesting as well.

During quarantine, we have a lot of time to kill!
curfew, not quarantine, 5 minutes time limit for edits did expire.
14 days of quarantine when arriving sounds REALLY boring...

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
In the OP, it was not the government describing the situation, it was a spokesman for Aerodom saying that they will not reopen airports until there is sufficient demand to do so.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
curfew, not quarantine, 5 minutes time limit for edits did expire.
14 days of quarantine when arriving sounds REALLY boring...
From what I have seen , there has been 7 days of quarantine for some people entering the DR. Even 7 days, 5 days off plus weekends) is the typical amount of vacation time most from the US have per year. Some might have two weeks (as in 10 vacation days plus weekends. ) You have to be really fortunate to get more than that each year in the US. The only time I ever had more than two weeks of vacation was when I worked for a company based in Canada for a couple of years and I started with 3 weeks. Quarantines for any period of time is a vacation stopper. Aerodom airports will open when there is sufficient demand and they can make money.

Reactions: etolw

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
From what I have seen , there has been 7 days of quarantine for some people entering the DR. Even 7 days, 5 days off plus weekends) is the typical amount of vacation time most from the US have per year. Some might have two weeks (as in 10 vacation days plus weekends. ) You have to be really fortunate to get more than that each year in the US. The only time I ever had more than two weeks of vacation was when I worked for a company based in Canada for a couple of years and I started with 3 weeks. Quarantines for any period of time is a vacation stopper. Aerodom airports will open when there is sufficient demand and they can make money.
I saw that the Dominicans who returned last Monday with a ferry flight from Madrid, and had a recent PCR test from Spain, were allowed to quarantine at home. Police will/or will not (DR not always go by the rules) randomly check if you comply.
Those who did not had a rapid test at the airport and were sent to government site to quarantine. Some tested positive at the airport as well when arriving from Spain.

I guess we will see a protocol going forward with tests before boarding and less strict quarantine when arriving, if the tests shows to be reliable. US already announced PCR test is needed before boarding, going to DR

Discussed in the other travel thread

Source

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018

And btw, they were gifted with 14 days quarantine

Upon arrival, those who had already undergone the PCR test were sent to home quarantine, while those who did not have it were transferred to an isolation center established by the Ministry of Public Health, where they will have to remain for some 14 days.

Source

One of my posts in the other travel thread, I do not bother to look it up, the 5 minute edit limit is frustrating at times

GusFring

Apr 15, 2020
So says the Director General of the airport.

It's equivalent to a floor sweeper there saying they will open.

Until the government says it can open it will remain closed.

The first or 2nd week of July seems reasonable. The question is what will the true demand be.

Reactions: Timotero

habi

Oct 17, 2015
So says the Director General of the airport.

It's equivalent to a floor sweeper there saying they will open.

Until the government says it can open it will remain closed.

The first or 2nd week of July seems reasonable. The question is what will the true demand be.

I am not 100% sure but I think the 4th of July would be in the first week of July, or not? :rolleyes:;);)