Popular Bank stole my money

Status
Not open for further replies.

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
Please do margaret. Am I to understand you have been waiting since September? A bank wire should clear in, what 3-5 days, not 5 months. Let us know if either of the branches of Banco Popular in Puerto Plata are playing silly wotsits with you. BushBaby has actually played golf with family members of the family who owns that bank. I'm sure if their Puerto Plata branches are being either inefficient or deceitful, the owners would want to know about it. And if it turns out that they're not & that we are maligning Banco Popular unnecessarily then I'm equally certain that the owners of Banco Popular have ways of handling that, too!

We're talking about two bank transfers. I spoke to my bank (Royal Bank/Royal Trust) and they told me that they've never had any problems with banks in the Dominican Republic and when transfers are "lost" they're easily traceable on the sender's end and they said they could also figure out where it went wrong if they saw how it was addressed. They think I'm getting the runaround and I'm always one to give the benefit of the doubt so I welcome the idea that it might have been a mix-up between the two branches in POP. I sent an email suggesting they look into it further and I provided a link to this thread so they can contribute to the discussion.

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
margaret, I receive bank transfers all the time to my BPD account and I've never had a problem. Bank transfers originating from the US have appeared in my bank account in as little as two days and usually take under five days as noted by Lambada. Was the SWIFT info, account holder name and account number info for BPD provide to your bank correct?

FYI: Banco Popular Dominicano SWIFT is: BPDODOSXXXX

NotLurking

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
I know this is an old thread but has anyone else had any problems with Banco Popular in Puerto Plata?

I've been expecting a bank transfer from Puerto Plata since September and it still hasn't come through. I've had my bank look at all the wires three times now and they haven't receive anything in my name. All the details are correct, I've double checked that. And this wire has been sent TWICE apparently and it still hasn't come through. Have any of you had problems receiving bank wires FROM the Dominican Republic?

Margaret,
i had trouble with a missing wire last fall, even that it been the other way, i've sent it from a european bank account over here and it got "lost".
what i learned during the just 2 weeks lasting process(2 weeks after my complain the money been on the destin account) was that it is the SENDING bank which you need to investigate where the money actually is stock, because it is them who have the 'numbers/codes/tracking possibilities' during the process of a wire.
good luck
Mike

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
wanted to add that i send per online banking mooney on weekly bases from europe over here to the DR and the above mentioned 'missed/missplaced' wire been the only lil trouble in doing so since many years. i would name the banks here for that reliable.
happy Valentine's weekend everybody
Mike

b.batista

Feb 21, 2008
margaret, I receive bank transfers all the time to my BPD account and I've never had a problem. Bank transfers originating from the US have appeared in my bank account in as little as two days and usually take under five days as noted by Lambada. Was the SWIFT info, account holder name and account number info for BPD provide to your bank correct?

FYI: Banco Popular Dominicano SWIFT is: BPDODOSXXXX

NotLurking

Bank transfers getting lost for any period of time is virtually impossible. This must be a case of the sender giving Margaret the run around pretending to have sent the money and it is not true. Just in the last two weeks I have had three people mention to me that they had been stiffed by a Puerto Plata resident gringa and maybe this is the same person that is supposed have sent Margaret her money.

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
Thanks NOTLURKING and Mike. I did my best to make sure all the information was correct. I checked with my bank BEFORE I sent the information and also when I was looking for the missing wire.

Royal Bank of Canada (ID #003)
Swift#: royccat2
Account # (removed)
Branch Transit #03774

My branch's phone number is 416-762-1191
My branch's fax number is 416-766-2909
My branch's address is:
RBC Royal Bank
RT-Bloor West Village
2329 Bloor St. W.
Toronto, ON
Canada
M6S 1P1

With my name (both my maiden name and my legal name) and all my contact information at home and at work. Thank you and Happy Saint Valentine's day to you!

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
Bank transfers getting lost for any period of time is virtually impossible. This must be a case of the sender giving Margaret the run around pretending to have sent the money and it is not true. Just in the last two weeks I have had three people mention to me that they had been stiffed by a Puerto Plata resident gringa and maybe this is the same person that is supposed have sent Margaret her money.

I just saw this ppst. Can't be the same person, my friend is a like a sister to me. I would have forgiven that loan in a heart beat for her. There must be some logical explanation for this.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
in my case of the 'missing' wire i got afterwards stated that the destin numbers not been correct.
such makes for a big laugh,
b/c/ i use a prefilled form, always the same form which is save dfor that transactions on my online banking account, so when i wire money i do not have to fill in anything but the amount of money i want to send.
but hey, it's cyberworld, ha ha.
i first complained here at banco BHD(receiving bank) but the only thing they could inform me about and after 10 days of "Investigations" been that they did not receive anything and don't know anything and i should contact the 'sender' bank to ask where the bucks are.
when i complained online to my german bank(sender bank) i received an answer the next day informing me about the status of their investigations, that they sent the money on the usual way like we did every week since years and that they track down the electronic way the money goes. that was a friday and they let me know that it will not be before monday to get the info.
it was exactly that next labour day/monday when they sent me the full list of the transaction's tracking, they told me that there was a number for the destin/receiver wrong so the money been stuck NYC(yeap, on that tracking record it was interesting to see what a heck of way some money goes while transferring from 1 account to an other), they informed me that they cancelled the transaction and that they resent it right away with the right receivers/destins numbers on and it will arrive on the destin account in the usual 5-8 weekdays. so it was.
in Margaret's case i don't know what to think, since september is by far too long for anything, if money get's sent und a wrong number aso the sender bank can track that down and correct their/whoever's fault and resend it the right way.
happy weekend
Mike

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
I just saw this ppst. Can't be the same person, my friend is a like a sister to me. I would have forgiven that loan in a heart beat for her. There must be some logical explanation for this.
You obviously don't LIVE here Margaret!!! SISTERS are regularly known to borrow (long term) from each other & these (long term) borrowings never get repaid/replaced!!

Now I am ALL for you having a forgiving nature & am truly admiring at your loyalty BUT ......... If you have been lied to by this 'almost sister' & this person HAS never sent you the money by bank transfer, think of the implications for her doing this again!! AND again & again!! We that live here & rub shoulders with your 'almost sister' would move heaven & earth to find out who it is so that we don't get caught ourselves AND so that we can warn others (newbies) against lending money to her.

I am still hopeful that my suggestion of 'The second Popular Branch' might hold the key & all will be resolved. If this is wrong however, YOU will need to harden up your soul a LOT & ensure she repays what she owes - to you AND to anyone else she might have loans out with!! A BAD name here is NOT a good thing to have so I am sure your 'almost sister' is out working very hard at resolving whichever problem has caused you to be out of pocket for so long! ~ Grahame.

(Ooops, was typing as 'Her What has to be Obeyed' was putting her bit together!! Most still applies though so GO FOR IT Margaret & make sure you have the response by tonight from your 'almost sister' because she obviously wasn't able to spend ALL day at the beach - it clouded over for quite some while!!).

Last edited:

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
in Margaret's case i don't know what to think, since september is by far too long for anything, if money get's sent und a wrong number aso the sender bank can track that down and correct their/whoever's fault and resend it the right way.
happy weekend
Mike

It was sent in September and then a second separate transaction was made. (Personally I wouldn't have used the same institution until I found out what happened to the first transaction.) So this sender is out now TWICE and nothing has come through on my end. At one point she thought maybe it never left the branch but then it was confirmed that it went. Went where? That is the mystery. If she would only re-fax the bank trace that never came through to my office nor to my bank, then we would have an answer. I like to think that it got rejected at my end and returned to the other branch in Puerto Plata. I would love to sit back and have a good laugh over this over an icy cold ..................... Bendicta. :paranoid:

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
So has your 'sister' checked out BushBaby's theory that the wire could have been returned to the other branch? What did both branches say to her about this?

Haven't heard back from her on this suggestion. Last I heard from her was that she had paid me twice and that she was done. I'm hoping she'll come to her senses.

My only advice to newbies, would be "Never a borrower, nor a lender be." Personally I will keep lending money to friends and family. And another would be that while you may well avoid all the manipulations, money scams, and lies of the notorious sankies, it might be a gringa that you have to watch out for.

b.batista

Feb 21, 2008
Bimbos and sankys

Sisters steal too and you can keep pursuing the bank investigations but you are losing your time. We see gringas come here all the time that land up borrowing money because of the financial pressures of their sankys and never pay their friends back. They become con artists just like their sankys and they are not worth the stuff you scrape off your shoes after walking through a pig farm.

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
Haven't heard back from her on this suggestion. Last I heard from her was that she had paid me twice and that she was done. I'm hoping she'll come to her senses.

Ok then ask her to send you via FedEx the receipts she got from BPD when she made the bank transfers. She should have two of them, one for each transfer, with very detailed information on them.

NotLurking

Reactions: MikeFisher

bubba153

Jan 24, 2009
your money will appear as soon as "your sister" finds another mark to cover your action. charles ponzi started it and bernie madoff took it to the highest level!
not knowing the amount, maybe you should have a face to face with her and take her directly to the bank. may be worth the plane ticket
wayne

Reactions: Rocky

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Haven't heard back from her on this suggestion. Last I heard from her was that she had paid me twice and that she was done.

I'm sorry, margaret, this is looking NOT to be a Banco Popular problem. The true friend would fall over backwards trying to get to the bottom of this. They wouldn't wash their hands of it because their friendship with yourself & their reputation for integrity would be at stake.

'Done' might be a highly apposite term..... Btw do you know if this person has a bank account with Popular? Just an idea floating through my head.........

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
no no no guys,
this is a true friend of Margaret,
because she even sent the money twice, so she paid twice, that means when finally back over here Margaret would need to pay back the 'overpaid/oversend' money.
Mike

b.batista

Feb 21, 2008
If you know for sure that the bank is not the problem and that you have been scammed then it is time to do what I do and plan a sneaky secret revenge that could take a year to manifest itself but gives you your money's worth like sticking some heavy laxative into the water cistern or puncturing her tires every night or sending anonymous tips to the DND that she is exporting drugs or throwing a bucket of pig **** all over her when she is drunk and coming home from the disco or using photoshop to doctor her head on to a transvestite's body and put the fotos on the internet or send all her friends and relatives emails telling them that she has been put in jail for having sex with farm animals etc and do not stop until you feel that the debt is paid.

Status
Not open for further replies.