Porfirio Rubirosa - Forgotten?

frank alvarez

New member
Apr 13, 2004
282
0
0
There have been several famous characters well known for their powers of seduction in the history of our planet. 'Don Juan' de Mara?a of Seville, Spain, Giovanni 'Casanova' of Venice, Italy and Porfirio Rubirosa of San Francisco de Macoris, Dominican Republic.

Rubi was known mostly as a high-class 'chulo' (gigolo or what is now known as a 'sanky'--although sankies are usually very unrefined low-class guys) who courted and married some of the best known and richest women in the world in the middle of the 20th century. He mostly led a very full life 'earned' by marrying rich women and then receiving a settlement upon divorcing them.
His first marriage was to 17-year-old Flor de Oro Trujillo, the Dominican dictator's only daughter, in 1932. He also married French actress Danielle Darrieux, Barbara Hutton, Woolworth fortune heiress, Doris Duke, American Tobacco heiress, had affairs with Zsa Zsa Gabor, Rita Hayworth and others.

He was friends with Sinatra and JFK. Partied with King Faruk, last king of Egypt. Was Dominican ambassador to London and visited Buckingham during King George VI's reign. Also Dominican ambassador to Paris during World War II and was imprisoned with all Allied diplomats by the Nazis having received favors from Goebbels and Mrs. Goebbels due to their great admiration of his wife Darrieux. Was accidentally shot by the French resistance and survived.
Was Dominican ambassador to Argentina and hobknobbed with Peron and Evita.

Trujillo gave two orders of elimination of Rubirosa, one prior to his marrying his daughter when he was a 2nd lieutenant in his personal guard and then after he divorced her (and beating her during their regular fights). Rubi somehow avoided to save his neck both times and not only that, he eventually became useful to the dictator as can be seen by his long career as a diplomat representing the Dominican government.

Rubirosa was born in 1909 and moved to Paris in 1915 when his General father was named Dominican ambassador to France during WWI. He was 6.
When he returned to the DR at 19 in 1928, he had not lost his Dominican
spirit and was very much identified with his country throughout his life, in spite of the European influences and the jet-set privileged life he lived. He would sit around with the barrio 'tigueres' in the Colonial Zone in San Lazaro, Ciudad Nueva, San Carlos, etc., shirtless, organizing boxing matches and harassing the pretty girls.

A great boxer, World Class polo player, race-car driver and all-around sportsman, Rubi was the perfect gentleman and made each woman feel as if she was the center of the universe as testified by many of those that he conquered. His 'maleness' was well-publicized with exact measurements provided (11 in. in length and 6 in. in circumference) and he was sterile due to a bad case of the mumps in his childhood. In addition, he was alleged to be a practitioner of an obscure Eastern art of postponement of ejaculation due to concentration, something taught him by the also-famous Ali-Khan, playboy extraordinaire and multi-millionaire who died in a Paris car crash in 1958. Rubirosa used to say that if he ever died in a car crash, he hoped it would not be in a Lancia like Ali-Khan but in a Maserati or a Ferrari.

In 1965, after another one of his party knights in the best boites of Paris, he was driving home intoxicated in his Ferrari and hit a parked car and then a tree. He got his wish of dying in a Ferrari crash. Rubirosa was quite a character.
 

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
1,893
110
0
54
This was very interesting, thanks so much for sharing this info. Unbelievable to learn that sankies go wayyyyy back! ;)
 

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
2,624
2
0
frank alvarez said:
There have been several famous characters well known for their powers of seduction in the history of our planet. 'Don Juan' de Mara?a of Seville, Spain, Giovanni 'Casanova' of Venice, Italy and Porfirio Rubirosa of San Francisco de Macoris, Dominican Republic.

Rubi was known mostly as a high-class 'chulo' (gigolo or what is now known as a 'sanky'--although sankies are usually very unrefined low-class guys) who courted and married some of the best known and richest women in the world in the middle of the 20th century. He mostly led a very full life 'earned' by marrying rich women and then receiving a settlement upon divorcing them.
His first marriage was to 17-year-old Flor de Oro Trujillo, the Dominican dictator's only daughter, in 1932. He also married French actress Danielle Darrieux, Barbara Hutton, Woolworth fortune heiress, Doris Duke, American Tobacco heiress, had affairs with Zsa Zsa Gabor, Rita Hayworth and others.

He was friends with Sinatra and JFK. Partied with King Faruk, last king of Egypt. Was Dominican ambassador to London and visited Buckingham during King George VI's reign. Also Dominican ambassador to Paris during World War II and was imprisoned with all Allied diplomats by the Nazis having received favors from Goebbels and Mrs. Goebbels due to their great admiration of his wife Darrieux. Was accidentally shot by the French resistance and survived.
Was Dominican ambassador to Argentina and hobknobbed with Peron and Evita.

Trujillo gave two orders of elimination of Rubirosa, one prior to his marrying his daughter when he was a 2nd lieutenant in his personal guard and then after he divorced her (and beating her during their regular fights). Rubi somehow avoided to save his neck both times and not only that, he eventually became useful to the dictator as can be seen by his long career as a diplomat representing the Dominican government.

Rubirosa was born in 1909 and moved to Paris in 1915 when his General father was named Dominican ambassador to France during WWI. He was 6.
When he returned to the DR at 19 in 1928, he had not lost his Dominican
spirit and was very much identified with his country throughout his life, in spite of the European influences and the jet-set privileged life he lived. He would sit around with the barrio 'tigueres' in the Colonial Zone in San Lazaro, Ciudad Nueva, San Carlos, etc., shirtless, organizing boxing matches and harassing the pretty girls.

A great boxer, World Class polo player, race-car driver and all-around sportsman, Rubi was the perfect gentleman and made each woman feel as if she was the center of the universe as testified by many of those that he conquered. His 'maleness' was well-publicized with exact measurements provided (11 in. in length and 6 in. in circumference) and he was sterile due to a bad case of the mumps in his childhood. In addition, he was alleged to be a practitioner of an obscure Eastern art of postponement of ejaculation due to concentration, something taught him by the also-famous Ali-Khan, playboy extraordinaire and multi-millionaire who died in a Paris car crash in 1958. Rubirosa used to say that if he ever died in a car crash, he hoped it would not be in a Lancia like Ali-Khan but in a Maserati or a Ferrari.

In 1965, after another one of his party knights in the best boites of Paris, he was driving home intoxicated in his Ferrari and hit a parked car and then a tree. He got his wish of dying in a Ferrari crash. Rubirosa was quite a character.
I showed your post to a co-worker with them same last name. It turns out that Porfirio was his uncle (his father's brother). He says that much of what you said is accurate to the best of his knowledge.
He related the story of when Trujillo called Porfirio in after he beat his daughter. In fear for his life, Porfirio went before Trujillo. When Trujillo asked him why he beat his daughter, Porfirio responded that a Dominican husband was within his rights to beat his wife if she disrespected him. Obviously Trujillo must have agreed.
 

linamia

"an unexamined life is not worth living"
Jan 2, 2002
592
6
0
www.pascual5designs.com
HOWMAR said:
When Trujillo asked him why he beat his daughter, Porfirio responded that a Dominican husband was within his rights to beat his wife if she disrespected him. Obviously Trujillo must have agreed.

That right died with el Jefe. Or else there would be lots of Lorena Bobbits (SP) in DR. :cross-eye
 

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
668
14
0
linamia said:
That right died with el Jefe. Or else there would be lots of Lorena Bobbits (SP) in DR. :cross-eye

Not really, it is still going on. Many women have been murdered or permanently disfigured by their husbands in the DR.
 

linamia

"an unexamined life is not worth living"
Jan 2, 2002
592
6
0
www.pascual5designs.com
Stodgord said:
Not really, it is still going on. Many women have been murdered or permanently disfigured by their husbands in the DR.

Yes, but it is no longer a right now women have the option to press charges in DR. I see a lot of promotion for "la protecci?n de la mujer y ni?os in DR".
 

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
747
10
0
a well-renowned playboy for sure..........but i don't think he was ever a "sanky", in any sense of the word.

i thought he was well-in with ramfis, trujillo's favourite offspring. which may have been another reason for getting his neck saved. i could well be wrong though.
 
May 31, 2005
1,489
20
0
bochinche said:
a well-renowned playboy for sure..........but i don't think he was ever a "sanky", in any sense of the word.

i thought he was well-in with ramfis, trujillo's favourite offspring. which may have been another reason for getting his neck saved. i could well be wrong though.
I don't think he was a sanky either. A well renowned playboy sounds better because in order to romance women of that caliber you need to have class.
 

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
4,159
54
0
Dragonfly32837 said:
I don't think he was a sanky either. A well renowned playboy sounds better because in order to romance women of that caliber you need to have class.
He clearly was a sanky. Probably the most successful of all time. It's been reported although he was married Barbara Hutton for just 53 days, he got $3.5 million dollars in the divorce settlement. That was in 1954, probably equivalent to $50 million today.

He's another thread that talks about him:

 

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
668
14
0
rellosk said:
He clearly was a sanky. Probably the most successful of all time. It's been reported although he was married Barbara Hutton for just 53 days, he got $3.5 million dollars in the divorce settlement. That was in 1954, probably equivalent to $50 million today.

He's another thread that talks about him:


I thought that one important quality of a Sankie is to be a 'Switch Hitter', Porfirio was not so he was not a full blown Sankie. Perhaps a Pseudo Sankie.
 

frank alvarez

New member
Apr 13, 2004
282
0
0
An unfortunate and sad Dominican reality.

HOWMAR said:
I showed your post to a co-worker with them same last name. It turns out that Porfirio was his uncle (his father's brother). He says that much of what you said is accurate to the best of his knowledge.
He related the story of when Trujillo called Porfirio in after he beat his daughter. In fear for his life, Porfirio went before Trujillo. When Trujillo asked him why he beat his daughter, Porfirio responded that a Dominican husband was within his rights to beat his wife if she disrespected him. Obviously Trujillo must have agreed.

One of the reasons I started the thread was to see if someone that knew him or a relation could add some facts. I'm glad to see already a nephew has been identified.

Unfortunately, the disrespect towards women in Dominican society is a sad reality and yearly dozens of women are murdered by jealous husbands and the general attitude is that maybe they deserved it. Same thing happens with rapes; the police don't take the complaints seriously, for the most part and women are made feel as if they asked for it. Very bad situation.
 
Last edited:

frank alvarez

New member
Apr 13, 2004
282
0
0
Ramfis was too young.

bochinche said:
i thought he was well-in with ramfis, trujillo's favourite offspring. which may have been another reason for getting his neck saved. i could well be wrong though.

In the 30's, when he was to be eliminated ('32 and '38) Ramfis was still a child and they really became friends in the 50's. In his memoirs Rubi stated that he only liked Trujillo himself and he was not too fond of his wives or children.
 

Guatiao

El Leon de los Cacicazgos
Mar 27, 2004
474
8
0
35
Great Post Frank,

I admire Porfirio Rubirosa, the guy was & IS A LEGEND, he did what 98.5% of us men dream. He bedded the most beautiful, richest women, he was a world reknown athlete, ambassador, etc.

If anybody seen photos of the man he is defintely not the most good looking, he is average at best but he still achieved what many just dream.

A great link on all things Rubirosa: http://www.rubirosaonline.com/home_eng.htm
The movie is currently in pre-production stages, script writting, etc.

Peace,
Capo