Porsche questions - importation into the DR, maintenance of car in the DR

jollyroger

Nov 3, 2019
Hi
I am considering buying a Porsche in the states then importing it and ideally being able to maintain it

questions- I see Porsches on EBAY priced significantly less than those in the DR

1/If i hire a DR lawyer and use an appropriate shipping service will I be able to land it in the DR without being gutted by the import agents?

2/ What details do I have to provide the DR import agents that I paid $20000.00us for a Porsche? My fear is that these agents will apply an import tax rate based on a higher car value as determined by them. For example they may deem the car to be worth $40000.00.

3/ What import tax rate should I expect for importing a second hand porsche?

4/ Who can offer maintenance on the north coast (or, santiago/capital)?? I need someone who can install after market parts into this car/conduct general maintanance. I want to evade using the official Porsche dealership for maintance.

Any assistance will be welcomed
thx

Michael DR

Banned
Jun 7, 2020
Earth
You might want to find out the minimum number of years that you have to have owned it to qualify. Also there is an age restriction.

More importantly have you thought this through at all? Are you armed? Do you employ security? Do you realize that you will instantly become an elevated target?

Hell, I'd almost carjack you myself! LOL

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Hi
I am considering buying a Porsche in the states then importing it and ideally being able to maintain it

questions- I see Porsches on EBAY priced significantly less than those in the DR

1/If i hire a DR lawyer and use an appropriate shipping service will I be able to land it in the DR without being gutted by the import agents? No

2/ What details do I have to provide the DR import agents that I paid $20000.00us for a Porsche? My fear is that these agents will apply an import tax rate based on a higher car value as determined by them. For example they may deem the car to be worth $40000.00. Taxes are based on their valuation. What you paid for it is not taken into account.

3/ What import tax rate should I expect for importing a second hand porsche? HIGH. If you're asking these questions, you're not in a position to do it. Sorry, tough love.

4/ Who can offer maintenance on the north coast (or, santiago/capital)?? I need someone who can install after market parts into this car/conduct general maintanance. I want to evade using the official Porsche dealership for maintance.

thx

See my comments above in red. Please don't shoot the messenger. And read Michael DR's comments very thoroughly. He hit the nail on the head.

Reactions: DRob and Michael DR

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
You might want to find out the minimum number of years that you have to have owned it to qualify. Also there is an age restriction.

More importantly have you thought this through at all? Are you armed? Do you employ security? Do you realize that you will instantly become an elevated target?

Why do you say that? I've owned two Porsches here and still have one. Never had any unwanted attention. In fact I get a lot of positive comments about my 968 as it is the only one in the DR as far as I know.

I too would evade the main stealers in this country. I buy most of my parts off eBay, Pelican Parts and DC automotive from the US and ship them over. I do all my maintenance myself as a hobby.

Reactions: Mr Deal HD and rfp

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
Hi

1/If i hire a DR lawyer and use an appropriate shipping service will I be able to land it in the DR without being gutted by the import agents?

2/ What details do I have to provide the DR import agents that I paid $20000.00us for a Porsche? My fear is that these agents will apply an import tax rate based on a higher car value as determined by them. For example they may deem the car to be worth $40000.00.

3/ What import tax rate should I expect for importing a second hand porsche?

thx
1. Use one of the official big importers of cars
2. The value for the import-taks comes from a (e)book, not important how much you paid.
3. Calculate about 50% in total (with matricula), beware the car may not be older than 5 years and no salvage.
4. I have no idea, I live in Bavaro, try doing maintenance yourself, beats any dominican....

Good luck!

Reactions: CristoRey

jollyroger

Nov 3, 2019
See my comments above in red. Please don't shoot the messenger. And read Michael DR's comments very thoroughly. He hit the nail on the head.
Hi
I wont shoot the messenger lol. Actually affording most things is not an issue for me, I just like to know what I'm dealing with, or with whom I am dealing before jumping into the fire. All people of means like to know what the financial damage will be...thats how they became wealthy. Just saying, I do appreciate your response.

Reactions: JD Jones

jollyroger

Nov 3, 2019

You're right! I can be mildly ostentatious at times and need to be more circumspect with respect to displaying my wealth in the form of a Porsche 911. I have been here for years with my head down... thanks for the heads UP

jollyroger

Nov 3, 2019
Why do you say that? I've owned two Porsches here and still have one. Never had any unwanted attention. In fact I get a lot of positive comments about my 968 as it is the only one in the DR as far as I know.

I too would evade the main stealers in this country. I buy most of my parts off eBay, Pelican Parts and DC automotive from the US and ship them over. I do all my maintenance myself as a hobby.
Yes, Ive seen those sites and to be frank I wanted to do a rebuild using non-porsche parts. Some of these rebuilds are incredible. Me doing the mechanical work is about as likely as me taking hold of the broom from Nashla my maid to actually clean my own home.
I wanted to find some mechanic (mechanic business with a great reputation) and have him add these parts etc.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
5 yrs is the max age

If getting residency - it's cheaper... but you must have owned the car for 1 yr prior to import

jollyroger

Nov 3, 2019

My problem is I wouldn't know what is wrong if a problem arises. To be frank I'm only good for putting on my sunglasses and associating with women half my age

• Haha
Reactions: cavok

jollyroger

Nov 3, 2019
1. Use one of the official big importers of cars
2. The value for the import-taks comes from a (e)book, not important how much you paid.
3. Calculate about 50% in total (with matricula), beware the car may not be older than 5 years and no salvage.
4. I have no idea, I live in Bavaro, try doing maintenance yourself, beats any dominican....

Good luck!
Very helpful thank you very much indeed