Port-au-Prince: Most Dangerous Cities in Latin America List

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Unfortunately, Port-au-Prince is putting Hispaniola on this list. This was published today in the Argentinian media Infobae.

Cities are organized from greatest to lowest homicide rates.

55D36418-92D7-4580-AD16-0BC2E527AEE8.png

I'm also surprised to see in this list Guayaquil, Ecuador; Cancun, Mexico (the rival of Punta Cana); San Juan, Puerto Rico; Zacatecas, Mexico; Cuernavaca, Mexico; Colima, Mexico; Palmira, Colombia; Cúcuta, Colombia and Manaus, Brazil.

The kicker? 38 of the 50 most dangerous cities in the world are in Latin America. Keep in mind the region is going through a "peace" period.

It says the only country excluded for lack of data is Venezuela. I expect Caracas to be up there too and maybe s few more Venezuelan cities.

Last edited:

Joseph NY2STI

Mar 22, 2020
It's absolutely inexcusable and a national disgrace to see an American city on that list. I know foreign politics are off limits, but how does the U.S. tell Haiti to clean itself up when the leading global super power makes such an ignominious list?

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
It's absolutely inexcusable and a national disgrace to see an American city on that list. I know foreign politics are off limits, but how does the U.S. tell Haiti to clean itself up when the leading global super power makes such an ignominious list?
Are you referring to San Juan? I'm surprised it's not higher on the list.

KyleMackey

Bronze
Apr 20, 2015
The title mentioned "in Latin America"

Throw the whole world in there and you get an entirely different list.

Frankly, I'm surprised Chicago didn't make the list you posted.
Per capita, but yeah good point.