Portable Air Conditioner Inquiry

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It's not his bill nor his apartment, he is installing this for his girlfriend.
It may not be "his" bill, but it does state apartment. So my comments about installing a split that potentially becomes the property of the landlord still applies while the electricity bill payment is still in question.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
FWIW, I've never seen a split that becomes the property of the apartment after it's installed. Renters take their splits with them when the move and patch the hole.

I have even seen permanent "holes" installed in walls with a removeable cap.

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
Hi All,

I am currently contemplating buying a portable air conditioner (1bedroom apartment) and was wondering if anyone has any recommendations on a model and location in DR where one could buy it.

Thanks!
I have one in my bedroom here in capital and purchased on line from Amazon a few years ago but I know that Plaza Lama has some in their store on Calle Duarte

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
FWIW, I've never seen a split that becomes the property of the apartment after it's installed. Renters take their splits with them when the move and patch the hole.

I have even seen permanent "holes" installed in walls with a removeable cap.
Then you have never seen our rental agreement, which our lawyer told us was standard in the DR, which includes a clause that any improvements made remain.

Reactions: JD Jones

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
I had a look at these recently , a 12BTU new in the shop was 35k pesos, not cheap ...

Cons are in addition to noise, need to empty their water bucket, not sure how often..., also need to put the hot air hose out of the window, some come with a kit, some not..., efficiency not as good as split of course...

Pros are that they are portable, but I can't see dragging the hot air hose from living room to the bedroom and back, twice a day...! Also 110v and plug and play, no installation, maybe survive better than a split compressor which will be outside in the sun and rain..., maybe !

I think better feedback we get from people who have them and use them..., note that they start from 5BTU, so big variety and range...
I made a hole in my wall to outside ,size of exhaust hose and no problem with water,and noise is minimal,actually is a help to go to sleep and no road noise,my daughter loves it.My elec is about 2000 pesos more a month when using it from about 5 or 6 pm till morning,and sleep like baby and nice and cool also is a great dehumidifier. The

Reactions: Uzin and JD Jones

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
A split unit is definitely the only answer. Ask her if she actually pays for her electricity (many many Dominicans don't). If she doesn't, then you can pick up a split model which is NOT an inverter one cheaper, and quite often second-hand.

If she does pay for electricity, then you need to realise that the cost of any air conditioner is going to jack up the electricity bill quite a lot. I live on my own and only use it at night in one bedroom and the electricity bill is always over RD$ 6000 per month. If you say that about RD$ 4000 of that is the AC, over a year it's going to come in at RD$ 50,000. And unless she's earning a good salary, which I guess she isn't, then you'll be expected to contribute towards that every month. Mi Amor.
She may not be paying electric now, but if she adds an A/C, you can be guaranteed she will in the future.

Reactions: windeguy

Unit5

Jun 3, 2022
Ontario, Canada
A split unit is definitely the only answer. Ask her if she actually pays for her electricity (many many Dominicans don't). If she doesn't, then you can pick up a split model which is NOT an inverter one cheaper, and quite often second-hand.

If she does pay for electricity, then you need to realise that the cost of any air conditioner is going to jack up the electricity bill quite a lot. I live on my own and only use it at night in one bedroom and the electricity bill is always over RD$ 6000 per month. If you say that about RD$ 4000 of that is the AC, over a year it's going to come in at RD$ 50,000. And unless she's earning a good salary, which I guess she isn't, then you'll be expected to contribute towards that every month. Mi Amor.
Maria, no she does not pay for electricity. Do have a model name for the non inverter one you mention? Also, where would one get a second-hand unit? Thanks!

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Maria, no she does not pay for electricity. Do have a model name for the non inverter one you mention? Also, where would one get a second-hand unit? Thanks!
Search on Corotos or FB marketplace. Tons of them for sale. .

And her landlord is cool with her installing A/C?

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Maria, no she does not pay for electricity. Do have a model name for the non inverter one you mention? Also, where would one get a second-hand unit? Thanks

It's best to ask her to find the ACs and find someone to install them and just tell you how much it will be. She will know someone who works with AC who she trusts, probably a cousin (they have so many cousins). I think you could probably get a non-inverter split for maybe 12,000, used but in good condition. And maybe 1500 to install. Provided she doesn't pay luz it's fine, they work the same as any other unit. The inverter types just save energy.

Here's an example for RD$ 8700. There are pages and pages and pages on Corotos.

As a rough guide, you need 1 BTU for each 1 square metre / yard of floor space, provided her ceilings are a normal type of height. So if you want to cool a space which is 12 square metres / yards, you need a 12,000 BTU machine. Again the technician will know more about this.

I'd strongly recommend that you get her to do the buying though. She will get a much better deal than you as a local.

• Love
Reactions: JD Jones

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Then you have never seen our rental agreement, which our lawyer told us was standard in the DR, which includes a clause that any improvements made remain.

Some rental agreements have that clause, but they also have a clause that says you have to repair any damage you cause before giving the apartment back. So just remove the AC, repair the wall, and you're on your way.