Possible Claro Scam

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
At 5:08pm yesterday afternoon a man called my cell phone. My cell showed "number unknown". With office-like hubbub in the background he declared my Banda Ancha account would be canceled if I didn't pay up by the close of business that day, a Friday. He quoted the exact sum that was due. Since it was late in the day he offered to collect immediately if I would give him my credit card information. I of course declined and, thanking him, hung up.

That was the 4th of March. My pay deadline is the 13th of each month. That a stranger to me without access to Claro files can know my name and cell phone number, could cancel caller ID and also know I have a Banda Ancha account can all be explained somewhat innocently, though by stretching a bit. That he would know to the peso how much I owed on the account come the 13th can only be explained by access to Claro files or to someone who has access.

That leaves only two options I can think of:

1. an incompetent Claro employee who got his dates off by nine days, or
  2. a scammer from within Claro or with compliance from someone within Claro.

The people at Claro PoP office refused to report it up their chain.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Claro NEVER calls to tell you your account will be closed by a certain date. They just close it after the due date. This was some kind of scam for sure. Just forget it, he got nothing and will get nothing in the future.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The fact that he "got nothing" is not really the point.

The POINT is how did the that f****r know that much data on Palaut? I will visit Claro Santiago and see.

HB

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
Probably someone within Claro sold the customer database to their scammy friends, or straight up provided remote access to the database since that way they can keep up-to-date with balances. At least they still have to call to ask for credit card info, - I think people leaving the card details with any Dominican service company for recurring billing or even a one time payment are insane since it's only a matter of time till that info is used by scammers.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
At 5:08pm yesterday afternoon a man called my cell phone. My cell showed "number unknown". With office-like hubbub in the background he declared my Banda Ancha account would be canceled if I didn't pay up by the close of business that day, a Friday. He quoted the exact sum that was due. Since it was late in the day he offered to collect immediately if I would give him my credit card information. I of course declined and, thanking him, hung up.

That was the 4th of March. My pay deadline is the 13th of each month. That a stranger to me without access to Claro files can know my name and cell phone number, could cancel caller ID and also know I have a Banda Ancha account can all be explained somewhat innocently, though by stretching a bit. That he would know to the peso how much I owed on the account come the 13th can only be explained by access to Claro files or to someone who has access.

That leaves only two options I can think of:

1. an incompetent Claro employee who got his dates off by nine days, or
  2. a scammer from within Claro or with compliance from someone within Claro.

The people at Claro PoP office refused to report it up their chain.

You should go to Claro closer customer care center and report that, they are receiving help from some one within Claro, if they told you that, usually they send an sms or broadcast telling you to goto the office and pay.

2.- To pay by credit card first you have to register your credit card number and after the bank make the confirmation then you can pay by phone, but they ask you only for the last 4 digits of your credit card.

3,- They never call any body to tell to pay.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
So........ a short claro story........

A long time ago in a wonderful and weird country called dr, my wife and I got urselfs 3 claro sim phone thingy..... one of them ( mine rigged for prepay internet ).
Of course in the nearby village, the claro dealer is the novio of the best friend of one of our sobrinas........ no questions asked, no celula or anything needed.......
Anyway last year a claro employee phones us and proposes a sort of deal ( not to sure like 4hours for dr, preferential rate for abroad, 10 free dr numbers, 50 sms free a month....... 500 pesos a month.). U can just phone to cancel, no problem.
My wife says yes, I say no. So for a year and a bit everything is fine, pay every month on a local pharmacy the 500 pesos plus a 100 odd or so for our international calls......
A couple of months ago, bill is alway higher like 900 pesos...... phone assistance, nlablabla, it is sorted out, but never really is, typical domi..... er sorry claro.
Tired of trying to solve it so call to stop the contract ( and back to normal pre pay ). Oh no u cant, u have to go to a claro center ( nearest is POP ). WTF........
Being a law abiding citizen, I deceided to stop off at claro POP. Explain what I want, they try to discourage me. To no avail. Ok says the guy I need ure cedula....... My wife, of course didnt have it on her..... Explain to the guy that we contracted it by phone. Why woild one need cedula to stop it?
Call a "manager". Go through story again. U need cedula. Pfffffffffff.
Explain to the manager that the f#$@ing contract is not even in my name, but in my local claro guy ( who is not claro anymore.....). Guy is like :" that is not possible!!".
I am like: "do I look like I am called jamon maris hernandez de la loma"?????.
Manager :".........., well actually no, u dont ".
Me:" so???".
Manager:"well I still need a cedula to stop contract".

So I explain that I havent been paying for 2 months, that I owe them 1200 pesos ( or something like that ). I am here in good faith to pay andcancel contract and go back to prepay........
Sorry sir, no can do..........
To which I respond. "Ok, I will just throw out my 3 claro sims and switch over to orange. Thank u very much, have a nice day.
And I leave before I start banging manager's and employees heads togother......

2 days later, my wife says look, a sms confirming end of contract and back to prepay. Plus 250 pesos credit.......
Amd on mine, that I use for internet in a tablet, 15 days free internet, plus a thank u for being loyal claro client.....

Sometimes there is just no understanding people in the dr.........especially claro and edenorte.......

P.s never paid the pending 1200 pesos.......

Feb 7, 2007
You can get the balance on your account from Claro's automatic voice system, including invoice details, unless you have PIN-protected your account (which would be 99% of cases). So no "inside link" is actually necessary.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
We have the triple system with internet, telephone and TV for 1944 a month. They always call when the bill is ready to be paid there is no home delivery of that bill, but as far as the rest of it, NO!

You can register your EMail and have the bill Emailed to you way before the due date. But as for calling, never called me in 12 years I have dealt with them.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
I really hate Claro and they try to scam you anyway they can. Like random ideasclick thingy they send out every now and then. It both drains batteries and I have noticed that it sometimes click confirm while in pocket. I followed the information and disabled it on my phone and even went to their office and had them disable it in their system. But I had gotten some message that would not go away even you decline it and consistently pops up asking to confirm. My wife got a extra $200 pasos of ideasclick charges last month, and few months ago it was two separate charge of $50 per week.