Possible future expat from Colorado

Big

Apr 24, 2019
I personally wouldn't leave Colorado for a 51-year-old (my age) Dominican woman.
lmao. I wouldn't leave for a 27 year old Dominican super model. I know the shelf life of said arrangement, its ends when the cash flow does.

nothing to ad

Jan 10, 2022
puerto plata
be carefull dont fall for the love angle .most of the time its all about the money she will tell you are the only one in her life but beware. adominican woman friend said to me 11 years ago this a woman will have a husband with kids then she will have a boyfriend then she will have aGRINGO PIGGY BANK just be carefull stay around 3 or 4 years and meet her family they will expect you to be their money also seen many storys play out this way just be carefull not onlyhere in th DR but mexico phillipines colombia and othe countries world wid most are looking for greencarg to get out

Reactions: expatbuckeye

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
You know how it goes though... The disease of terminal uniqueness. Nooo, this is different. We really are in love!
Does anyone remember who coined the “DDD” ?(Definitely Different Dominican)

To expatbuckeye……. There are SO many stories we’ve all heard or lived, and posters here do tend to automatically think the worst. They think they’re doing you a huge favor by warning you.

That being said, many here are married to Dominicans, some for decades, even CCCCC was. That means Dominicans are not ALL schemers, but it also means we’re privy to the inside scoop. I’ve seen first hand how whole families play along when someone gets involved with a foreigner.

Eyes 👀 open is the best advice.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I'm telling you. Go read the Men are From Mars forum in the general topics right here on DR1.
After reading a few threads you will realize how gentle and understanding we are right now.
So far this thread is still open which is almost a record for when a newbie gets all hot and bothered in a sanky/ panky situation.
I must commend all my fellow DR1ers on thier manners and lack of foul language.😂😂

expatbuckeye

Feb 4, 2022
Durango, Colorado
I'm telling you. Go read the Men are From Mars forum in the general topics right here on DR1.
After reading a few threads you will realize how gentle and understanding we are right now.
So far this thread is still open which is almost a record for when a newbie gets all hot and bothered in a sanky/ panky situation.
I must commend all my fellow DR1ers on thier manners and lack of foul language.😂😂
I did read it. I do now see why you are mostly a cynical bunch -- for good reasons. I think I may have found the exception. But if you see me selling off my stuff here, you will know I was wrong. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
I did read it. I do now see why you are mostly a cynical bunch -- for good reasons. I think I may have found the exception. But if you see me selling off my stuff here, you will know I was wrong. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
When you land pm me I'll Buy you a beer and tell you about old boy van tinteren and a disgraced sosua property manager that had to fake his own kidnapping to avoid paying debtors. Now he can't return because Najayo has a bed waiting for him

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Welcome To Wonderland!

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016

I gotta ask... Which bank does she work with? One of the larger banks here?

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I gotta ask... Which bank does she work with? One of the larger banks here?
She works in a "lottery office" (post #5). I'm guessing one of those little road side shacks where you can place bets. Probably makes $300 USD per month. Definitely a good catch.
Can't see her ever asking for a loan 😉😉

Reactions: Big

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
She works in a "lottery office" (post #5). I'm guessing one of those little road side shacks where you can place bets. Probably makes $300 USD per month. Definitely a good catch.
Can't see her ever asking for a loan 😉😉
Hmmm.. Like AE said: Eyes 👀 open is the best advice.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
I read about van tinteren - scary. That and the "Trouble in DR" post would scare anyone.
There are certain things you can do to protect yourself financially. A co-hab agreement ( the DR version) can be drawn up and signed by both partners to protect their interests. If she is willing to sign one, it may be a good litmus test of her intent. As a gringo, you have limited legal recourse if the relationship goes bad and you have assets in the DR. House, bank accounts, vehicles, etc. She will have the right to a large percentage of those assets even if she doesn’t marry you and only lives with you a short time. Legal fees can be very expensive trying to extricate yourself from a messy separation. She is a Dominican and automatically has more rights than you.

Be very aware that your relationship with her is not limited to her. You marry her and her extended family. If a family member needs expensive medical services, you will be expected to contribute to the cost. You will be perceived as a rich gringo by a lot of people.

I’m a retired Canadian who has spent a lot of time in the DR during the winters and I’ve had three short term relationships with DR ladies. One was a professional, a doctor in Santo Domingo. All ended because of demands for money. I bowed out gracefully each time and remain on good terms with all of them.

My advice to you is take baby steps. Spend a lot of time with her before you commit to moving down permanently. Meet her extended family and spend time with them. Stretching your retirement dollars in the DR may be a myth. Living in the DR has become expensive. Things like electricity, gasoline, vehicles, private medical insurance are becoming more expensive yearly.

if you do want to retire in the DR and your relationship with her ends, there are lots of expat ladies to meet and have relationships with. Ladies with very few complications and financially independent. Ladies who have had or don’t want children. Rarely will you meet a young DR lady who doesn’t have or doesn’t want children. The fact that you can retire leads me to believe your not a young man. Ask yourself if you want to take on a ready made family at your age or if you want to raise young children. Good on you if you do but a lot of older men don’t.

Good luck in your new relationship and I hope it’s smooth sailing for you and your DR partner. You shouldn’t burn your links to the US until the relationship is well established and your totally comfortable living in the DR full time. Rent first, don’t buy immediately.

if you reach the point where you want residency, pensioner residency is one of the easiest, less expensive residencies to obtain. You will need residency of some form to stay longer than three months.