Possible Update on Efile Data for D.R. When Leaving the D.R. or Arriving to the D.R.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Some people believe in the rule of law, others, like you, obviously don't.
If you are referring to Mr. Winde I have no idea what is morals are or if he follows the rule of law in the DR. Not my business.I will point out that he posted today "Overstay fines are NOT part of DR law". Post #23 in the other thread.
BTW it's ridiculous to continue down the path of over stay fines or fees, or regulations, forever and ever since it is a moot point and will not be changed in any way by any member of this board. So what is the point of these redundant threads?

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Well the Dominican government has a certain scheme (and this scheme has been in place for many years), that allows people to overstay their tourist visa with just a simple payment (call it what you will). Maybe they don't believe in the rule of their own laws.
Somebody posted the attached a few days ago.

Attachments

• 415424703_888720976078039_4819052366071519202_n.jpg
    415424703_888720976078039_4819052366071519202_n.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 48

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
As someone who's been working in the Outsourcing Industry in this country for the last 10 years, I absolutely believe in the rule of law but I also respect the how the locals choose to govern their affairs, especially when it comes to a system that has been in place long before I chose to move down here.

Reactions: SKY and johne

fuchs4d

Mar 7, 2004
when I apply for DR citizenship I will loose my EU passport, all my rights, pension and medicare in the EU and freedom of travel in most of the world
Not true. Very difficult to give up German citizenship.
BTW, you loose your freedom, pensions and priviliges anyway.

Alexander

• Wow
Reactions: CristoRey

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Well when I apply for DR citizenship I will loose my EU passport, all my rights, pension and medicare in the EU and freedom of travel in most of the world. Now does that look like your situation? Just to say you can’t generalize everybody being here.
I am sorry the EU does not let you keep your citizenship. The US does permit multiple citizenships.
I would not give up US citizenship voluntarily for all of the reasons you mention would be involuntary in your situation.
I was aware of the fact that not all countries allow dual citizenships. I never generalized about that.

Reactions: Notengo

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Perhaps you should move to Colombia.
No doubt they'd love to have another gringo who insist the government make a few changes in order to make him happy. 😄😅😂🤣😋
My wife is Dominican, so I won't be moving anywhere. After all, I am a citizen here as well. Just wish a few things would change.

Nov 9, 2023
SC
I don't know what your original country is but you will not lose your nationality in most cases when you become a Dominican citizen, and you I think would keep your European passport as long as you didn't have a Dominican passport. There have been some recent changes in some European countries you may not be aware of. https://nomadcapitalist.com/global-citizen/countries-allow-dual-citizenship/#title_0
I am fully aware because I check the facts before posting them.
My country is on the one-nationality list and that will not change with the new government. There are workarounds but hey that would be a similar discussion like the one we are having here.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
SMH...this thread has gone way off topic...but for what it is worth I have had my Dominican citizenship for over 26 years. As Sky posted it was way easier back then. More of who you knew to get it pushed through and not a lot of paperwork. However, if I had to do it all over again, I am not sure I would based on how the process is today. With that said, just because I have citizenship does not mean I will get up on some soapbox and preach to others what they should and should not do with their own status. I respect everyone's reasons/situations. To each their own I say.

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
As a DR citizen it is my business. Just like the illegal citizens in my home country are also my "business".

I will not let it go. I want the laws to be enforced and a Snowbird visa to be enacted like Colombia has.
Colombia has a snowbird visa? Since when?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Colombia has a snowbird visa? Since when?
I have read that Colombia has a 3 month visitors' visa that can be extended fairly easily to a 6 month in total visa.
Violate that 6 months and their are consequences.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
SMH...this thread has gone way off topic...but for what it is worth I have had my Dominican citizenship for over 26 years. As Sky posted it was way easier back then. More of who you knew to get it pushed through and not a lot of paperwork. However, if I had to do it all over again, I am not sure I would based on how the process is today. With that said, just because I have citizenship does not mean I will get up on some soapbox and preach to others what they should and should not do with their own status. I respect everyone's reasons/situations. To each their own I say.
It is not a soap box. It is pointing out the laws and the extra legal work arounds to those laws.
For some reason moderators here on DR1 do not appreciate that. I wonder why.
It is a very relevant topic about the Dominican Republic, after all.

To each their own means you don't mind scofflaws. Where I come from ignorance of the law is no excuse.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
It is not a soap box. It is pointing out the laws and the extra legal work arounds to those laws.

To each their own means you don't mind scofflaws. Where I come from ignorance of the law is no excuse.
Windeguy, be very careful with your comments, you are most definitely crossing the line. There is no ignorance here nor do you know what I mind or don't mind. Unlike you, I do not feel a need to push an agenda. It would be in your best interest not to reply. Moving on...

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
If you are referring to Mr. Winde I have no idea what is morals are or if he follows the rule of law in the DR. Not my business.I will point out that he posted today "Overstay fines are NOT part of DR law". Post #23 in the other thread.
BTW it's ridiculous to continue down the path of over stay fines or fees, or regulations, forever and ever since it is a moot point and will not be changed in any way by any member of this board. So what is the point of these redundant threads?
Forever is a long time. Perhaps eventually the law will be used instead of extra legal workarounds. One can only hope.
One can only hope the DR also comes up with a 6 month snowbird visa.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016

Does the phrase "Beating a dead horse" bring anything to mind?

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I mean seriously,
Forever is a long time. Perhaps eventually the law will be used instead of extra legal workarounds. One can only hope.
One can only hope the DR also comes up with a 6 month snowbird visa.
Knowing how many illegal Dominicans are living in the United States who are collecting benefits that my tax dollars are paying for (including a better education for their children)
through their fraudulent claims, scams and lies in order to obtain those benefits...
Honest hard working Americans should be able to live down here in the DR for as long as they like regardless of what a few legal residents think.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
I mean seriously,
Knowing how many illegal Dominicans are living in the United States who are collecting benefits that my tax dollars are paying for (including a better education for their children)
through their fraudulent claims, scams and lies in order to obtain those benefits...
Honest hard working Americans should be able to live down here in the DR for as long as they like regardless of what a few legal residents think.
they can, they only have headaches when they read these types of threads.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I mean seriously,
illogic like that cannot be argued.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
illogic like that cannot be argued.
Well here's a fun fact for ya...
No matter how much you whine and complain nothing you say, do or think is going have an impact on how this government chooses to handle this issue Mr. Citizen so SUCK IT UP.
Your "logical" arguement is a losing one.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Well here's a fun fact for ya...
No matter how much you whine and complain nothing you say, do or think is going have an impact on how this government chooses to handle this issue Mr. Citizen so SUCK IT UP.
Your "logical" arguement is a losing one.
You never know, The government may one day actually use the laws. I doubt that will happen, but you really never know.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
You never know, The government may one day actually use the laws. I doubt that will happen, but you really never know.
I know you're really hoping to see it happen during lifetime and how much it matters to you as a citizen, lol...
but I think it's none of your business.