Power of Attorney

Spicedwine

Apr 25, 2006
Does the Dominican Republic require or have what we recognize in Ontario Canada as a Power of Attorney.
These are required both for Property and Health Care. If either one of us, required a health decision to be made for us, the other person, husband/wife, would need to have the authorization to make these decisions, by way of Power of Attorney. The same for Property..
The scenario would be if someone had a catastrophic health problem, and was unable to express their own wishes or treatment. Would the husband/wife be allowed here to make those without a legal document?

Thanks

Lothario666

Bronze
Oct 16, 2012
For medical problems: It's called money here.

If she doesn't want them to save you, she claims she does not have any.
If she wants them to save you, she shows them the green backs.

No money, no service.

"R"

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Yes there is power of attorney here, any lawyer can arrange it for you.

matilda

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
There are all kinds of "doctors" here in the DR and in the USA and Cananda. I had to take my wife to the clinic in LT and this DR was an older gentleman who seemed nice and competent until he tried to scam us. He wanted to have my wife go to the hospital in Nagua and take a number of tests but of course he wanted to go with us to make sure we new where we were going and to get his cut from his buddy doctor in Nagua. After he insisted on making the arrangements I told his son who was translating for us, even thought my wife in fluent that I didn't need him to help us find the locatiion in Nagua and wasn't about to pay for his time to go with us. He thought he had a fish on the line. No that never was going to happen. We told him we could take care of it ourselves when we went back to the States. I was mad and upset that this clown tried to pull this on a Gringo but really not surprised.

LTSTeve

Spicedwine

Apr 25, 2006
Matilda, thank you for your response. It seems it was a complicated question that invited tales of scams and poor practices.
Those are not my concern nor question. I hope Mr Guzman sees fit to provide a response in spite of the off topic replies.

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
A Canadian power of attorney is not valid in the Dominican Republic for real estate matters since POA's in the DR in this area must be drafted in Spanish following very specific rules.

The one for health matters should be valid if you are the spouse or child of the grantor.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I worked is US hospitals for over 25 years.
Many times I have seen family members of terminal patients request that they be taken off "Life Support" and allowed to die.
I don't know if that would be allowed here in the DR for any reason.
Catholic Church, "Hippocratic Oath", "Run Up The Bill", ignorant family members, who knows????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Spicedwine

Apr 25, 2006
A Canadian power of attorney is not valid in the Dominican Republic for real estate matters since POA's in the DR in this area must be drafted in Spanish following very specific rules.

The one for health matters should be valid if you are the spouse or child of the grantor.

Thank you, that answers my question and lets me know what we require here!!! Much appreciated.