Power When Electric Out

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
I'm not sure the right terms to use but here is my quest. I want something inexpensive to use when the electric goes out. I do not want it connected to the house permanently as I rent and plan to move when it's possible. I want to connect my wifi modem, a fan and able to charge phone. Don't need lights as enough comes in through the windows from neighbors power plant and Texaco across the street. I can't use a gas power thingy as I don't have a place to put it safely outside. Any ideas? Remember, I have very limited funds.

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
I'm not sure the right terms to use but here is my quest. I want something inexpensive to use when the electric goes out. I do not want it connected to the house permanently as I rent and plan to move when it's possible. I want to connect my wifi modem, a fan and able to charge phone. Don't need lights as enough comes in through the windows from neighbors power plant and Texaco across the street. I can't use a gas power thingy as I don't have a place to put it safely outside. Any ideas? Remember, I have very limited funds.
I seriously doubt you can find an economic "portable" solution. If you can't afford to hook up a simple 1kw inverter with two 6v batteries then why don't you go buy a long extension cord and do a Dominican. Hey neighbor! How about you connect me for a while? I'll make you a cake or sumpin!

• Haha
Reactions: RDKNIGHT

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com

I'm a renter too. I paid $1000 for 4 batteries and an inverter about 2 years ago. The labor was free because he was a friend of the landlady. To me it's worth it, as the batteries will need to be replaced eventually. We have had no problems whatsoever since then, although our refrigerator, microwave, water pump, and coffee pot are off the backed up circuit so we always have fans and internet for at least 24 hours in the event of an outage.

I know you said you have limited funds but that means different things to different folks.

Reactions: johne

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
Something like this?
1652896488355.png

This is a 293Wh Jackery for US$299 at Amazon this is about as cheap as you can go. There are solutions available for all needs and price ranges.

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Something like this?
View attachment 5665
This is a 293Wh Jackery for US$299 at Amazon this is about as cheap as you can go. There are solutions available for all needs and price ranges.
Sharp, however how long can it sustain a floor fan for example during a 4 hour outage. Prob not that version you'd be in the 500 dollar range most likely

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
well, I assume the OP would be in the 300 model market.
Different stroke for different folks. The $300 Jackery is perfect for the OP's listed needs. The one listed for about $500 is a bit more beefy and quite impressive as you state but I like the jackery 1000 it is a personal power plan that can be carried in the truck of the car when travelling to remote places on the island where power is less reliable. There are a few competing products such as the Goal Zero Yeti 1000 at US$799 with about the same specs as the Jackery 1000. However my experience is with the Jackery YMMV

Reactions: Jan

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Why bother with an inverter? You are wasting energy going from AC to DC back to AC. The modem and phone run off DC, so get a power bank to supply them.

And get a 12v DC fan to run off a separate car battery.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
I keep forgetting that our car has an inverter/110 V outlet as well as several charging ports.
Used only on longer trips but could be used anytime needed.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
I keep forgetting that our car has an inverter/110 V outlet as well as several charging ports.
Used only on longer trips but could be used anytime needed.

We have a 12v/110v inverter connected to our car battery, and that's what we use to power anything in our house if the outage is extended. We really get outages seldom, so have not invested in an inverter... yet... Additionally, we have several strong UPSs to power any information technology...

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
I'm a renter too. I paid $1000 for 4 batteries and an inverter about 2 years ago. The labor was free because he was a friend of the landlady. To me it's worth it, as the batteries will need to be replaced eventually. We have had no problems whatsoever since then, although our refrigerator, microwave, water pump, and coffee pot are off the backed up circuit so we always have fans and internet for at least 24 hours in the event of an outage.

I know you said you have limited funds but that means different things to different folks.
$1000 usd? I don't even own that much cash

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
We have a 12v/110v inverter connected to our car battery, and that's what we use to power anything in our house if the outage is extended. We really get outages seldom, so have not invested in an inverter... yet... Additionally, we have several strong UPSs to power any information technology...
So I could get a good ups and that would run the modum and charge stuff for a while. I'm thinking a small battery powered fan might work for air circulation.