Prancing Jackass in Las Galeras

Memo

Jul 30, 2005
Las Galeras
www.elotrowa.com
The Grand Paradise Samana all-inclusive hotel on the beach in Las Galeras has returned to their pre-quarantine practice of blasting music from their "animation team" late into the night with no regard for their resident neighbors or surrounding small businesses and their guests who may have come to Las Galeras seeking a peaceful vacation. This can't bode well for sales in the neighboring real estate development either.

I'm surprised that their own clients put up with it.

Can hardly wait until the next guy shows up with bigger speakers. :rolleyes:

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
I am not sure why they think guests want to hear 160 db music with their meal or vacation. Don’t give them any ideas about a competing set of speakers. They will do it 6 feet away.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
It's a shame this happens in such a peaceful place as LS Galeras, but that's the Dominican way

And regarding competing speakers, I remember being taken to the Malecon at San Pedro de Macoris on a Saturday night. There were three cars (at least) with massive speakers all blasting out deafening noise within forty feet of each other. Was it music? I don't know - it was impossible to hear what it was, such was the cacophony!

Reactions: reilleyp

Sailor51

Happy to still be here
Oct 30, 2018
This was kinda disapointing, I expected to see a burro hopping along like a Tenesee walker, or some alphabet group wit rainbow flags. But noooo. I get annoying loud music. Hey, find a way to pull the power maybe?

Reactions: chicagoan14

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Some redress might be possible if the paying guests complain to their onsite tour representative and a bunch of them camp out at the front desk to complain to management asking for a more reasonable quiet time to begin. Numerous negative guest experiences posted on the travel sites can also bring changes. Noise inconsideration is a hallmark in this country and despite efforts the message isn't getting across to most of the offenders yet. On the weekend when many locals are staying at these resorts unrelenting noise is par for the course, in the hallways, on the beach, everywhere.

Memo

Jul 30, 2005
Las Galeras
www.elotrowa.com
This was kinda disapointing, I expected to see a burro hopping along like a Tenesee walker, or some alphabet group wit rainbow flags. But noooo. I get annoying loud music. Hey, find a way to pull the power maybe?
Maybe it helps to imagine a pudgy impresario staggering across the stage, arms wind-milling, fists pumping, legs gyrating while exhorting the guests in a full voice: "one, two, three--yeah, you can do it! Go! Go! Go!" and howling "AAAHWOOO!"

Not a pretty image either. Sorry.

Sailor51

Happy to still be here
Oct 30, 2018
Maybe it helps to imagine a pudgy impresario staggering across the stage, arms wind-milling, fists pumping, legs gyrating while exhorting the guests in a full voice: "one, two, three--yeah, you can do it! Go! Go! Go!" and howling "AAAHWOOO!"

Not a pretty image either. Sorry.
Thanx, I really needed that image.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
It's a shame this happens in such a peaceful place as LS Galeras, but that's the Dominican way

And regarding competing speakers, I remember being taken to the Malecon at San Pedro de Macoris on a Saturday night. There were three cars (at least) with massive speakers all blasting out deafening noise within forty feet of each other. Was it music? I don't know - it was impossible to hear what it was, such was the cacophony!
Have seen the same on the Malecon in Puerto Plata - and no it is not music.

For the most part - Real music died sometime in the mid-80s.
But the best era, which will never be repeated was the 30 years starting with Elvis, Bill Haley & Buddy Holly and ending with Bon Jovi, REM & Journey.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
The Grand Paradise Samana all-inclusive hotel on the beach in Las Galeras has returned to their pre-quarantine practice of blasting music from their "animation team" late into the night with no regard for their resident neighbors or surrounding small businesses and their guests who may have come to Las Galeras seeking a peaceful vacation. This can't bode well for sales in the neighboring real estate development either.

I'm surprised that their own clients put up with it.

Can hardly wait until the next guy shows up with bigger speakers. :rolleyes:

I addition one can enjoy the sound of quads cruising, a veritable paradise.

• Haha
Reactions: drstock

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
The DR is the noisiest country on the planet. OSHA would have a field day here.
Except OSHA is not here and even in the US they have no authority over loud music.
OSHA authority is only over workplace safety.

Always wondered why elderly Dominicans are not deaf from loud noise exposure.

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
Except OSHA is not here and even in the US they have no authority over loud music.
OSHA authority is only over workplace safety.

Always wondered why elderly Dominicans are not deaf from loud noise exposure.
OSHA does have jurisdiction in the US, and if there was a similar entity in the DR, I am sure many Dominicans would experience more than 85 Db all day long.
"Under the promulgated regulation [29 CFR 1910.95(i)(1)], OSHA requires that: Employers shall make hearing protectors available to all employees exposed to an 8-hour time-weighted average of 85 decibels or greater at no cost to the employees." While having breakfast in Bonao, I could not hear the people on the other side of my table.

Reactions: cavok

Apr 10, 2012
Las Terrenas
we've abandoned the idea of going to the beaches where we have a home in Las Ballenas/Las Terrenas. The loud car speakers and boom boxes are so annoying. Plus, the music is awful.

Now we go to the beach at Cap Bonita where there is solitude, no traffic, and clear-blue waters.

What a relief from the noise.

Apr 10, 2012
Las Terrenas
Some redress might be possible if the paying guests complain to their onsite tour representative and a bunch of them camp out at the front desk to complain to management asking for a more reasonable quiet time to begin. Numerous negative guest experiences posted on the travel sites can also bring changes. Noise inconsideration is a hallmark in this country and despite efforts the message isn't getting across to most of the offenders yet. On the weekend when many locals are staying at these resorts unrelenting noise is par for the course, in the hallways, on the beach, everywhere.

BAD reviews on TripAdvisor, Google, Facebook, etc should definitely work. It's usually a kiss of death if there are plenty of 1 Star Reviews

Reactions: OldSkool and Tibu