Pre-Marital Assets

kenshireen

May 21, 2022
usa
I live in US. If I get married to a DR Woman and then get divorced would she be entitled to any pre-marital assets that I own?

Jan 9, 2004
dont do it
........but if you do.............get a prenuptial agreement..................that is valid in the state/country where you are marrying. That should provide you with a level of protection/insurance going forward.

Good luck.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Reactions: AlaPlaya

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I live in US. If I get married to a DR Woman and then get divorced would she be entitled to any pre-marital assets that I own?
Short answer: No.

She is entitled to half of everything you purchase after you are married.

I've been married three times and that was how it was handled by the lawyers and the court in each case.

I would offer all three of my divorces were amicable, and each spouse and I discussed and agreed on the separation of assets before going to court.

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este

I've been married three times and that was how it was handled by the lawyers and the court in each case.

I would offer all three of my divorces were amicable, and each spouse and I discussed and agreed on the separation of assets before going to court.

JD I agree with your statement however I still recommend a prenuptial agreement as an ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure.

I assume the lucky bride is not able to travel and the wedding will be in DR. As already mentioned by @playacaribe2 a prenuptial is recommended in my opinion too. Here in DR that'll be a "prenupcial bajo régimen de bienes separados" or “Régimen de Comunidad de Bienes Reducida a los Gananciales " (RCBRG). The former is a total separation of assets while the latter is the separation of assets acquired prior to the marriage with all future assets commonly shared except personal inheritance and donations. The (RCBRG) is akin to the default marriage status of "bienes macomunados" as described by @JD Jones but with the added benefit that you have it in writing under contract. If the marriage sours and becomes hostile requiring a divorce there is no need for a discussion or agreement on asset separation. As an added bonus you are free to include anything you deem important in the contract/prenup

Reactions: JD Jones

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
The short answer is she will be entitled to half your assets in the DR whether you marry her or cohabitate with her. You not marrying her. Your marrying her and her extended family. If any family members need medical attention or money for other reasons, be prepared to open your wallet. You will be perceived as a rich gringo by her family and friends.

You can go through the effort and cost of getting a co-hab agreement but she is a Dominican and your not. The agreement won’t change the way your treated in court, if your relationship ends acrimoniously. She is a Dominican and the law is on her side.

This forum is rife with gringo relationship horror stories. Many forum members here claim to have good relationships but they tend to be the exception, not the norm.

My advice is to keep your home and assets in the US, rent for a while in the DR, get to know her and her family, and give it a year or two before you make a definite commitment. If your relationship with her goes bad, it’s much easier to pack a few belongings and quietly slip away If you don’t own property and have significant assets in the DR.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
The short answer is she will be entitled to half your assets in the DR whether you marry her or cohabitate with her. You not marrying her. Your marrying her and her extended family. If any family members need medical attention or money for other reasons, be prepared to open your wallet. You will be perceived as a rich gringo by her family and friends.

You can go through the effort and cost of getting a co-hab agreement but she is a Dominican and your not. The agreement won’t change the way your treated in court, if your relationship ends acrimoniously. She is a Dominican and the law is on her side.

This forum is rife with gringo relationship horror stories. Many forum members here claim to have good relationships but they tend to be the exception, not the norm.

My advice is to keep your home and assets in the US, rent for a while in the DR, get to know her and her family, and give it a year or two before you make a definite commitment. If your relationship with her goes bad, it’s much easier to pack a few belongings and quietly slip away If you don’t own property and have significant assets in the DR.
Excellent advice.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Terminal uniqueness, a disease to be reckoned with
Correct and very insightful mi amigo. The eternal male conflict between the big head and the little head. The symptoms are easily recognizable but the disease can only be cured with massive amounts of cash dispensed to lawyers followed by an extended healing period of emotional wound licking and financial regret. Most learn their lesson well, others regroup and dive into the DR relationship rabbit hole head first again and again. On the positive side, they do contribute a fair bit to the DR economy. 😂

• Haha
Reactions: cavok

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
You should get a prenup. Dominican law on community property is truly ancient. It hasn't changed since the DR became independent in 1844. Community property not only includes everything the spouses acquire during marriage, but ALL MOVEABLE PROPERTY (stocks, bonds, money in the bank.... everything but real estate!) that the spouses had BEFORE marrying.

kenshireen

May 21, 2022
usa
You should get a prenup. Dominican law on community property is truly ancient. It hasn't changed since the DR became independent in 1844. Community property not only includes everything the spouses acquire during marriage, but ALL MOVEABLE PROPERTY (stocks, bonds, money in the bank.... everything but real estate!) that the spouses had BEFORE marrying.
Fabio, even if the moveable property is located in the US and not in DR

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
dont do it
Always causes me to wonder what the anti marriage crowd is so afraid of or perhaps they know themselves.

People with successful marriages invariably encourage others to do it.
Impossible to to know the joys of something you never experienced.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Because you love the DR woman
You need to remember that many many people are incapable of love and have nothing to give another person.
Those are the ones who should never get married and many of them know it.
Self centered people do not make good marriage partners.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006

thanks. coincidentally I too wondered this although I would never want to have involvement with DR lawyers or the DR judicial system.