Prepaid Calling Card DR to US?

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
I think what you are really asking is about CALLING CARDS. You can purchase Verizon Communicards and use them to make long distance calls from landlines or hotel phones. You can't use them to receive calls, however, unless they are loaded into a cell phone.

If all you want to do is call the US, buy the Communicards and use them to call from a regular phone. The rate is something like seven pesos a minute, cheaper than in a cell phone.

Alternatively, you could go to a Call Center and make your calls from there.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Well, if it's a GSM phone, I would think it would work in the DR with an Orange card, at Orange rates.

I would think it would sweetdbt, but what he is trying to do is get it to ring his U.S. phone number here. If he uses the Sim's chip from his Nextel phone he will have that, but at a very high per minute rate. If he gets a local Orange Sim's card then he will have a Dominican cell phone and be able to call the U.S. at a resaonable rate, but will not get his U.S. phone calls.

It's the old, "Have your cake and eat it too" syndrone...... It won't happen!

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I have read most threads on cell phones in the DR. I have decided the easiest thing for me to do would be walk in a Verizon store, purchase a phone, charger and minutes.

One of the threads mentioned there is a Verizon store on 30 de Mayo in Santo Domingo. What should I expect to pay for phone, charger and minutes?

A

apostropheman

I would think it would sweetdbt, but what he is trying to do is get it to ring his U.S. phone number here. If he uses the Sim's chip from his Nextel phone he will have that, but at a very high per minute rate. If he gets a local Orange Sim's card then he will have a Dominican cell phone and be able to call the U.S. at a resaonable rate, but will not get his U.S. phone calls.

It's the old, "Have your cake and eat it too" syndrone...... It won't happen!
i guess we'll have to wait for the OP to clarify. in the first post he asked about calling the US from the DR...only
Hi,

Can anyone suggest which is the best prepaid calling card to make calls from Sosua back to the US?

And where do I get one? Do the miles expire or will they be good (so long as I don't use them up) when I'm back in a few months?

And do prepaid calling cards work on payphones and is there a surcharge for that? I don't/won't have a landline. And my cell is $2 in/out.

Thanks so much.
Ro
then again all he'd have to do is quickly change his message on his regular cell, and eat the charge 1 time, to suggest to people calling him to call his new DR number. then no charge for receiving the calls and cheap rates to return or make calls to the USA...viola :)

Last edited:

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
First,I want to thank all of you for the information.

Second, let me clarify what I am hoping/wanting to do.

Yes Ihave a V180 that I can swap out my sim card for. Someone in the states can call my local US cell number and leave a message. I can order whats called a Hard Forward which means all calls go directly to voicemail - no charge to me.

If I don't do this and it rings and I'm not there or if no service and it goes to voicemail, I pay a minimum one minute charge ($2).

I want people to be able to call and get my voicemail. I do not want to call them back on my cell phone.

I was hoping I could buy a prepaid calling card to make calls from Sosua to the US - having nothing to do with my cell - and wondered if these cards work from pay phones.

And are there call centers in Sosua?

Thanks for hanging in there with me to help- out.

Ro (a female)

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
And are there call centers in Sosua?

There are call centers on every other block in Sosua. I believe the rate is 6 pesos per minute. If you use the call center you will not need the calling card. Whatever you do stay away from the hotel phone.