Prepay long overstay?

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
A USA friend has been in the DR, no residency, for about seven years. He has a new passport without stamps that he got about one year ago. He lost his old passport and does not remember the exact month he came to the DR. He does not want any trouble when he goes back to the states for a visit.

Should he try to prepay the fee or wait till he is leaving? Will this be a problem for him re-entering the DR after his usa visit?

Should he try to be creative? Leave on a cruise, haiti, ferry to PR? He is not cheap, he just does not want any problems leaving or re-entering.

Thank you

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Kind of been there.... they want you to pay at the airport when leaving...if you do not have the number on the old passport, you will be sent home to find it....creative moves only makes it harder on you... you need that number of old passport, and they will want dollars for your overstay fee....

Reactions: Luperon

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
If this was me ----

I would make a personal visit to the DGM... perhaps with a lawyer
The most important issue (hence lawyer) is I expect he wants to return.

Getting this set straight & paving the way for the return...... come clean w/ the DGM

IMO

OR
Don't leave !!!
Another safe option

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
When I applied for citizenship, I had to go to the small DGM office in Santo Domingo a few miles from the passport/residency main location that allegedly has the records for all of the ins and outs I made since the dawn of time into and out of the DR. They might have the information on the last entry into the DR, but then they might need the passport number to retrieve that.

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
last time i left after 4 yrs. i brought my brand new passport, they asked me how long i have been in the country, I told them 2 yrs. It took them a while but they figured it out. I had to pay for 4 yrs.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Send you home? I highly doubt that. Most likely pay the largest fee they can find, similar to the post above.

Reactions: Garyexpat

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Just so people are aware -
this is from another site.... a moderator's post on April 18, 2021
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We have been warning about this for some time! This is from someone I know and trust and happened THIS WEEKEND. This is not rumor or speculation:

I came back to the states for my vac and when I went to the airport yesterday morning I wasn’t allowed to return. Everything I have is there - dogs, mom. They said I have to go to the embassy and get my residency before I return. Could be 12 weeks. Americans do this all the time and they’ve never had a problem.

WE KNEW THEY WERE CRACKING DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Haha

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We have been warning about this for some time! This is from someone I know and trust and happened THIS WEEKEND. This is not rumor or speculation:

I came back to the states for my vac and when I went to the airport yesterday morning I wasn’t allowed to return. Everything I have is there - dogs, mom. They said I have to go to the embassy and get my residency before I return. Could be 12 weeks. Americans do this all the time and they’ve never had a problem.

If you believe this story I have a Bridge to sell you in Brooklyn............................

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Bit more for you ... same convo
-------------------------------------

Denied boarding in the USA. Clearly told to go to the Dominican consulate and get her residencia visa or no entry.

Yes this is about them connecting the dots. Electronic form is just another step.

They have been scanning passports for years. It's already in a database. They are using the database finally.

AbInader campaigned on this as part of his platform
----------------------------------------------------------

To update this:

One went to the Dominican consulate and had to meet with the director.

Confirmed: she was refused re entry for overstay. Argument was made it was due to covid. Did not fly her overay started pre covid. Argument was made elderly parent is there. Did not fly.

They got a powerful dominican family involved and permission granted.

This is an overstay refusal.

Will it happen again - probably

Will it happen all the time - not likely.

Will it eventually be fully enforced - who knows!

Will it happen to you? That is your decision, your risk.

I just pass on what I know.

LTDan

Apr 29, 2021
SDQ
A USA friend has been in the DR, no residency, for about seven years. He has a new passport without stamps that he got about one year ago. He lost his old passport and does not remember the exact month he came to the DR. He does not want any trouble when he goes back to the states for a visit.

Should he try to prepay the fee or wait till he is leaving? Will this be a problem for him re-entering the DR after his usa visit?

Should he try to be creative? Leave on a cruise, haiti, ferry to PR? He is not cheap, he just does not want any problems leaving or re-entering.

Thank you
does your friend live in Boca Chica, sounds like about a half dozen expats I know here

Thank you
sounds like some more-ons I know in Boca Chica, he better be ready to pay the max fine which I believe is 70,000 pesos

Thank you

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Bit more for you ... same convo
-------------------------------------

Denied boarding in the USA. Clearly told to go to the Dominican consulate and get her residencia visa or no entry.

Yes this is about them connecting the dots. Electronic form is just another step.

They have been scanning passports for years. It's already in a database. They are using the database finally.

AbInader campaigned on this as part of his platform
----------------------------------------------------------

To update this:

One went to the Dominican consulate and had to meet with the director.

Confirmed: she was refused re entry for overstay. Argument was made it was due to covid. Did not fly her overay started pre covid. Argument was made elderly parent is there. Did not fly.

They got a powerful dominican family involved and permission granted.

This is an overstay refusal.

Will it happen again - probably

Will it happen all the time - not likely.

Will it eventually be fully enforced - who knows!

Will it happen to you? That is your decision, your risk.

I just pass on what I know.
If this is the one I read about, the ridiculous part is that she’s Dominican but just never bothered to get her citizenship. I also thought there was something missing from the story.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Or residency !!??

Non-Resident..... that's the problem
With a Dominican parent, you go straight for citizenship and it’s easy peasy. My daughter just needed her birth certificate, and her two sons’ certificates, and a copy of her father’s cedula. Took it to Philly, in and out, she and the boys will be officially Dominican in about 3 months.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012

Oh well if a moderator posted it then it has to be 100% accurate. Guess I won't even try going back after my overstay history. Thanks for saving me the time William......See you soon on the north coast.

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
Oh well if a moderator posted it then it has to be 100% accurate. Guess I won't even try going back after my overstay history. Thanks for saving me the time William......See you soon on the north coast.
Cant you just take a fishing boat to haiti?