Prescription medication

RickC

Sep 29, 2006
In preperation for my upcoming relocation to RD, I am trying to figure out how to handle refilling a prescription med. I am able to get a 3 month supply initially. Does anyone have experience with refilling prescriptions while in RD?
Rick

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Most meds you can get over the counter without a prescription. Many times you can get non generics for the same price as generics in the US

Bob K

RickC

Sep 29, 2006
Most meds you can get over the counter without a prescription. Many times you can get non generics for the same price as generics in the US

Bob K

Over the counter blood pressure meds... Are you sure about that?
Rick

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
A lot of medications which require a Rx in NA do not in the DR. This includes antibiotics, hypertension medications, etc.; just about anything except barbituates, heavy-duty pain killers, and erectile dysfunction meds. The latter did not require a Rx before this year either.

It isn't over the counter in the sense that you pick it off the shelf yourself and take it to the cash register. At a Dominican pharmacia, all the medicine is behind the counter, and the pharmacia employee (I doubt if most of them are actual pharmacists) gets it for you.

RickC

Sep 29, 2006
I have purchased over the counter both Atenolol and Lisinopril.
Ken

Lisinopril, for hypertension, and Simvastatin,for cholesterol, are the two I will need....
If it's true that I can get them "over the counter".....that will be perfect.

Spicedwine

Apr 25, 2006
purchase of simvastatin

I have purchased this for my partner, several times at different farmacia's
This is not Walmart shopping, everything is behind the counter an you ask for it, or you take in your empty bottle or container and show the pharmacist what you need.
I am taking a BP medication not the same name, but have no trouble getting it filled. The drugs I took previously are also available.
It seems a little unusual at first but you get used to it, by the way, pain meds like tylenol or ibprofen are also available only at the farmacia, and you can also buy by the pill...... as I said a little unusual,. Goood Luck and Welcome.

TEAM

Aug 14, 2007
What About Anti-Depressants/Anxiety Meds?

We hope to be relocating from the states to the D.R. in Nov. with another couple in order to purchase/run a business in Cabarete (We are in the negotiation phase currently.)

A concern we have is if we can purchase anxiety and anti-depressant medications without a prescription in the D.R. We would need to purchase Paxil and Wellbutrin over the counter. Does anyone have experience with this type of medication in the D.R.?

Thanks!:paranoid:

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
I am really not trying to be rude here. But are you sure the DR is for you if you have to have anti-anxiety and anti-depressant psychoactives regularly?

Anyway, that is a rhetorical question. You can get the generic equivalents easily in any pharmacy. Bring your prescription, in Cabarete the pharmacy connected to the medical practice in mid-town would look at it and find the generic equivalent in a big book .. and give you the equivalent at perhaps a quarter of the price.

Feb 7, 2007
Go buy to farmacia PROMESECAL it's government supported pharmacy chain and they sell for 10% of regular pharmacy prices.

Feb 7, 2007
I am really not trying to be rude here. But are you sure the DR is for you if you have to have anti-anxiety and anti-depressant psychoactives regularly?

I have not seen anywhere in this thread mentioning of psychiatric drugs. The most what was mentioned was blood pressure, hypertension and cholesterol meds... Or am I missing something?

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Team, suggest you contact Dr. James Bailes to enquire which drugs are controlled and which are not. Drugs for many physical issues you can get over the counter, those for psychiatric conditions tend to be much more tightly controlled. Controlled drugs can only be prescribed by a doctor who holds a drugs licence and not all do.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
A lot of medications which require a Rx in NA do not in the DR. This includes antibiotics, hypertension medications, etc.; just about anything except barbituates, heavy-duty pain killers, and erectile dysfunction meds. The latter did not require a Rx before this year either.

It isn't over the counter in the sense that you pick it off the shelf yourself and take it to the cash register. At a Dominican pharmacia, all the medicine is behind the counter, and the pharmacia employee (I doubt if most of them are actual pharmacists) gets it for you.

You don't need a prescription for ED meds either. They just try to limit the sale to Farmacias. But you still see them in some gas stations and Calmados.

corina

Aug 5, 2007
i did severals times when i lived there and never had problems.
it's just scarry the first time you do espacially when the name is not the same.maybe you can ask a pharmasist if the name of your med changes in latin american country?!

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
You don't need a prescription for ED meds either. They just try to limit the sale to Farmacias. But you still see them in some gas stations and Calmados.

Your statement may be technically accurate, in that I'm sure many pharmacias are still selling them w/o Rx, but as of this year, the law says it is required. There was a fairly lengthy discussion in these forums at the time it happened.