Presidency requests Congress reinstate National State of Emergency

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
A test to travel will not work for most travelers. No Dominican will understand the results form anyways.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Apologies, didn't mean to offend. Hand me a form in Spanish and I equate it the same way as if I handed a form in English/French to an immigration official at a Dominican airport.

Reactions: Timotero

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
What needs to be done will not be done and that is a 24 hour curfew for at least 2 weeks. It will be unpleasant but they will survive and the strain on the medical system will ease. Allowing people to come and go as they please until 5pm is idiotic.
You are right. A 24 hour curfew that lasts two weeks won't happen anywhere but perhaps China.

People at risk will just have to stay home for the foreseeable future.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
That is just not the way the public health system is using testing in most places right now. It may be easier to do in the USA but other countries don't generally test or even allow testing for travel related purposes. Canada being on of those countries where getting a covid test on your own can be quite difficult, never mind the documented results of such a test.
One of the provinces, Alberta I think, is planning on having test kits available at pharmacies for the general public. Most of the temporary testing sites in Newfoundland have been shut down for weeks. We have an 811 number we call to arrange testing at the local hospitals if we suspect we have symptoms or have been exposed. Offshore oil industry personnel who travel in and out of our province frequently pay for the testing service at the provincial hospitals. Their companies negotiated access to our system but their testing and analytical results are not a priority in our public health system.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I just spoke to my cousin in NY who is manning the CV19 hot lines in NY . To get test results takes between 5 to 7 days. Impossible to get results for a test made within 72 hours of a flight.

The number of people being tested in NY have increased so much that the time frame has increased.

Juan Bosch

Dec 8, 2015
Yes, it turned out to be Sunday:

45 days of State of Emergency just passed in the DR Senate. Now we see what Danilo does with it.
Camara de Disputados passed the 45 days...Senate will vote Sunday morning...and that is a given...

Linda Stapleton

Jun 3, 2003
What about the airports?

I heard that they don't want to shut down tourism, but if interprovincial travel is banned, that would make it pretty difficult. I'm due into SD at the end of the month, in the evening, and need to get back to the north coast where I live. Travel and other restrictions might cause airlines to cancel even if the airports stay open.....as others have said, we'll just have to wait and see.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I just spoke to my cousin in NY who is manning the CV19 hot lines in NY . To get test results takes between 5 to 7 days. Impossible to get results for a test made within 72 hours of a flight.
In the UK you get the results from the government test the next day. Amazon picks up the swabs in the morning and the results come through by midnight. There is a fingerprick test that gives you the results within 20 mins which is pretty accurate (97% accurate I think).

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I heard that they don't want to shut down tourism, but if interprovincial travel is banned, that would make it pretty difficult. I'm due into SD at the end of the month, in the evening, and need to get back to the north coast where I live. Travel and other restrictions might cause airlines to cancel even if the airports stay open.....as others have said, we'll just have to wait and see.
I'd stay in the UK if I were you Linda. I was going to go back to DR next week but changed my flights to avoid all the chaos.