President Abinader announces actions to benefit expats in New York

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Luis-Abinader-comunidad-dominicana-NY-Listin-Diario-e1632228036803.jpg

During the Council of Ministers held from New York City, President Luis Abinader announced several new services to Dominicans in New York over the next three months. A premium Senasa government health insurance, a branch of the Dominican government bank, BanReservas and a branch of the state UASD university are in the works. The Customs Agency will also open in New York to make importing easier.

President Abinader said that the Dominican government will purchase a building to install the consulate and other offices. He said the cost is similar to what the government is now paying for rent.

An estimated 1.5 million Dominicans live in the New York/New Jersey area.

Read more in Spanish:Diario Libre...

[url=https://dr1.com/wordpress/2021/09/21/president-abinader-announces-actions-to-benefit-expats-in-new-york/]Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
A Dominican bank in the USA is a game changer.
According to this Instagram post from the Dominican Consulate in New York, Banreservas is offering loans for apartments and houses to Dominican immigrants interested in buying one in the DR. Apparently, they are also offering other services.

Joseph NY2STI

Mar 22, 2020
According to this Instagram post from the Dominican Consulate in New York, Banreservas is offering loans for apartments and houses to Dominican immigrants interested in buying one in the DR. Apparently, they are also offering other services.

That's interesting. Do you think they are trying to get Dominicans to leave the U.S. and go back to D.R., or maybe just to invest there?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
That's interesting. Do you think they are trying to get Dominicans to leave the U.S. and go back to D.R., or maybe just to invest there?
I think they simply want to make it easier. Here extra details were said of each offering in the USA. SENASA Premium will be offered to Dominicans living in the USA, supposedly it will be cheaper than any health insurance currently in the Americsn market. The Familia Feliz program is a subsisy from the Dominican government to any apartment/home purchased in the DR by low income people, this is in addition to Banreservas opening a branch in NYC (apparently it will open more branches in other cities, I guess those with a significant Dominican population). He also mentioned other stuff that will open and said the purpose is to make the Dominican diaspora feel included.

He begins to talk at 11:50 +/-.

Reactions: Joseph NY2STI

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Right now is live the presentation act of the new office of Banreservas in NYC.

It's in that initial screen with the Dominican government's logo. It could be quite a few minutes before the actual event is shown. Once it's fulky recorded, it should be possible to forward in the video.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
I am not sure I understand the ideas behind offering Dominican government services to Dominicans living in the US.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016

I wonder if Bankreservas knows about all the rules and laws Banks have to obey in the US......

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
I think they simply want to make it easier. Here extra details were said of each offering in the USA. SENASA Premium will be offered to Dominicans living in the USA, supposedly it will be cheaper than any health insurance currently in the Americsn market. The Familia Feliz program is a subsisy from the Dominican government to any apartment/home purchased in the DR by low income people, this is in addition to Banreservas opening a branch in NYC (apparently it will open more branches in other cities, I guess those with a significant Dominican population). He also mentioned other stuff that will open and said the purpose is to make the Dominican diaspora feel included.

He begins to talk at 11:50 +/-.

How is it going to work with Senasa ? I don’t get it. It’s the DR government health insurance offered in the US so Dominicans get coverage in the US or when they are in the DR ? What about illegal Dominicans in the US. Can they then this way be covered ? I am just confused about it.

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
I am seeing a lot of jokes on Dominican social media sites about this Dominican health insurance Senasa offered in the US. That they should built a Dominican hospital there to and you will be atended by 10 Dominican nurses for the price of one.

• Haha
Reactions: Joseph NY2STI