President Abinader is proud of his government’s distance learning programs

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Luis-Abinader-5-meses-gob-Presidencia-1024x683.jpg

President Luis Abinader said on his five-month in government wrap up that foreign governments have shown an interest in replicating the Dominican government’s distance learning programs. The Ministry of Education decided to prepare daily lessons for students in public schools and air these on local television channels and online. The programming can also be used by private school students.

Speaking to the nation on 18 January 2021, President Abinader said they are so pleased with the programming that even when schools go back to classes in person, these will be continued to be used to improve the education levels of Dominican students.

See some of the classes at:

Ministry of Education videos

Read more about the education programs at...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
The public school teachers I know aren't proud of them. The videos aren't bad but aren't very age appropriate for the learning level of most Dominican public school students.

• Sad
Reactions: NanSanPedro

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Are they for real?... I watch this almost every day at my house and it is ineffective.. today the teacher logged on today to tell the students his computer wasnt working.. many of the students no longer have their computer.........

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Are they for real?... I watch this almost every day at my house and it is ineffective.. today the teacher logged on today to tell the students his computer wasnt working.. many of the students no longer have their computer.........
Maybe they're telling him it works great. I seriously doubt he personally checks it out.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
My god-daughter did her TV class at my house yesterday. It was just 1 hour. How can that possibly replace a full day's education in school? It also seemed to start late, she was expecting it at 9am and it started at about 9.20.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Luis don't get it.
Kids have lots of questions.
Who answers them?
Certainly not the TV.
Electric and internet? Most days.
A clear TV signal? Sometimes.

I was in Moca on Sunday.
Friend of mine showed me the group chat on WhatsApp the parents/ students share with the children's teacher.
Group started with 24 participants.
It's now down to just 11.
Parents are pissed off.
The teacher doesn't respond to individual student needs, instead he just tells them to watch the lesson over again.
(trust me, that's easier said than done)
This is a common occurrence in Moca and I've no doubt it is happening in other parts of the country too.

Why did I go to Moca on Sunday knowing I would be stuck inside a very tiny home with a tin roof for the next 17 hours you ask?
Because I want to make sure my friends daughter learns proper Math and Spanish, if she learns nothing else.

The amount of damage these idiots are doing to the children in the public education system IS CRIMINAL.

Aug 21, 2007
Everyone is trying- the kids, the teachers, the parents, and the government. There are many parts that are not working correctly. The parents say that the homework is taking them 3 hours to complete - them, I said - not their kids. They say it is too difficult for the kids, so they do it.

I think everyone is doing the best they can, knowing that they are on uncharted ground.

Education in this country was not very good to begin with. When they try to do something different, it will be worse, especially as they have no experience with this.

I found it interesting in the news article yesterday, they said the educational consultants were paid more than the cost of the laptops/tablets that supposedly were given out. (We have not received them yet.) Perhaps that is the problem. The funds are not headed to where they are most needed.

I can be their educational consultant at no cost. What my advice? Get the kids back in the schools!

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I think everyone is doing the best they can, knowing that they are on uncharted ground.
I disagree.
This country has both the money and the resources to do a hell of a lot more than they are doing for these children. It's called lack of will power and WEAK LEADERSHIP.

Reactions: Auryn

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
I think Luis is the worst president, he doesnt get it at all. He doesnt treat DR well esp. with COVID issues

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
When I read the title of this thread, my only thought was: “Why? What does he have to be proud of ?”

Then I read the article. My next thoughts were “Which foreign governments exactly?” And I seriously want to know.

I’m sure it all looks very nice on paper and the idea is just fabulous. Implementation on the other hand... nothing to be proud of there.

Reactions: XTraveller