President Abinader predicts July will close with arrival of 500,000 tourists

Eugene_A

Banned
Feb 12, 2021
Santo Domingo
Take a ride to the airport. Let us know where the people on the 50 plus packed flights are going when they land. The airport is so busy they had to open Terminal B again........................
Well, maybe you have to take a ride to the beach and see what happens there, and compare it to what it was before the pandemic.

When resorts were full, it was difficult sometimes to find a beach lounge chair available, all were occupied. Now I walk on the beach in front of the resorts, and all beach lounge chairs are empty. But of course, you don't see it if you spend all day at the airport. There's more people on the beach on weekends, but all of those are Dominicans. And it's deserted Mon-Fri. I am here in the area since July 1st, and I drive daily to different beaches, and I know perfectly how it was before Covid, because I used to spend a few days in the resorts every month.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010

ARRIVALS AT PUNTA CANA AIRPORT (PUJ) - TODAY - 12PM - 5:59 PM​

Origin
Arrival
Flight
Airline
Terminal
Status
Miami (MIA)
12:03 pm
WAL1201
World Atlantic Airlines

Unknown [+]
Medellin (EOH)
12:04 pm
AV220
Avianca

Unknown [+]
New York (JFK)
12:14 pm
AA2443
American Airlines
B
Landed - On-time [+]
Medellin (MDE)
12:20 pm
AV220
Avianca
A
Landed - On-time [+]
Orlando (MCO)
12:26 pm
NK1020
Spirit Airlines
A
Landed - Delayed [+]
Baltimore (BWI)
12:35 pm
WN831
Southwest Airlines
B
Landed - On-time [+]
Toronto (YYZ)
12:35 pm
WG450
Sunwing
A
Unknown [+]
Charlotte (CLT)
12:43 pm
AA1639
American Airlines
B
Landed - On-time [+]
New York (JFK)
12:45 pm
DL1994
Delta Air Lines
B
Landed - On-time [+]
Terceira (TER)
12:48 pm
NJE728G
NetJets Europe

En Route [+]
Fort Lauderdale (FLL)
12:58 pm
B6173EK6675
JetBlue AirwaysEmirates
A
Landed - Delayed [+]
Chicago (ORD)
01:01 pm
F980
Frontier Airlines
B
Landed - Delayed [+]
Newark (EWR)
01:12 pm
UA1514
United Airlines
A
Landed - On-time [+]
Atlanta (ATL)
01:31 pm
DL1900KL5302
Delta Air LinesKLM Royal Dutch Airlines
B
Landed - On-time [+]
Miami (MIA)
01:36 pm
AA1502
American Airlines
B
Landed - On-time [+]
Newark (EWR)
01:45 pm
B61015
JetBlue Airways
A
Landed - On-time [+]
New York (JFK)
01:51 pm
B61869
JetBlue Airways
A
Landed - On-time [+]
San Juan (SJU)
02:14 pm
F939
Frontier Airlines
B
En Route - On-time [+]
Santo Domingo (SDQ)
02:20 pm
TB181TB182
TUI flyTUI fly
A
Scheduled [+]
Dulles (IAD)
02:30 pm
UA1661
United Airlines
A
En Route - On-time [+]
Chicago (ORD)
02:33 pm
UA679
United Airlines
A
En Route - On-time [+]
Fort Lauderdale (FLL)
02:35 pm
NK783
Spirit Airlines
A
En Route - On-time [+]

Charlotte (CLT)
02:39 pm
AA1069
American Airlines
B
En Route - On-time [+]
San Juan (SJU)
02:43 pm
B62931
JetBlue Airways
A
Scheduled - Delayed [+]
Atlanta (ATL)
02:45 pm
DL1916KL6454
Delta Air LinesKLM Royal Dutch Airlines
B
En Route - On-time [+]
Dallas (DFW)
02:46 pm
SY739
Sun Country Airlines
B
En Route [+]
Miami (MIA)
02:49 pm
AA1546
American Airlines
B
En Route - On-time [+]
Philadelphia (PHL)
02:49 pm
AA336
American Airlines
B
En Route - On-time [+]
Houston (IAH)
03:00 pm
UA625
United Airlines
A
En Route - On-time [+]
Baltimore (BWI)
03:05 pm
WN6811
Southwest Airlines
B
En Route - On-time [+]
Paris (CDG)
03:20 pm
AF741KL2235
Air FranceKLM Royal Dutch Airlines
A
En Route - Delayed [+]
Orlando (MCO)
03:30 pm
F920
Frontier Airlines
B
En Route - Delayed [+]
Panama City (PTY)
03:45 pm
CM352
Copa Airlines
B
En Route - On-time [+]
Frankfurt (FRA)
03:55 pm
DE2226
Condor
A
En Route [+]
Dallas (DFW)
04:09 pm
AA1534
American Airlines
B
En Route - On-time [+]
San Juan (SJU)
04:17 pm
B6331
JetBlue Airways
A
Scheduled - On-time [+]
Charlotte (CLT)
04:30 pm
AA1800
American Airlines
B
En Route - On-time [+]

Reactions: Kipling333

PCMike

Aug 30, 2008
I am laughing at a guy that lives 6 hours away and has not spent one minute in Punta Cana since the pandemic, and likely never set foot in PC mouthing off about what is going on here. And the other genius living in Mass. US knows even less...
Hey Sky, if the picture is rosy as you say, the banks would not be calling me. I would not worry about where my daughters are going to school this year. I would not look a travel forums like trip advisor and see only 5 posts a day when in anything close to normal there would be 100 posts a day. I would not find Playa Macao so peaceful, much like it was back in the 2010 days. I would hire back the 2 residents who had to move out of the country to find work.

I think your idea of positive vibes is not based on the reality of what is really going on. Most guests are scared shipless of leaving the resorts. In the grand scheme, this does very little for the 1000's who provide tourism support and promotion. We are the forgotten ones unfortunately. BUT...the bank seems to remember me!

BTW...do you own a tourism based company in the country?

Reactions: debinatore

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004

Balance of hotel reopening: SD at 100%, the East rises to 85%​

All I know is that the hotels here are doing better than before the pandemic. Can't say anything about banks calling you. That is your problem..........................

Reactions: Kipling333

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I am laughing at a guy that lives 6 hours away and has not spent one minute in Punta Cana since the pandemic, and likely never set foot in PC mouthing off about what is going on here. And the other genius living in Mass. US knows even less.........................
I have little interest in Punta Cana, that is for sure. Correct that I never spent any time in what is today called Punta Cana ever. AI resorts are not my thing.

A 70% vaccination rate, fully vaccinated in Altagracia Province? That is dreaming in technicolor and believing propaganda along with fake news.

That said, I suspect all of the DR will be open soon. It's all about the money. And everyone that wants one has had time to be vaccinated.

Reactions: jd426

Eugene_A

Banned
Feb 12, 2021
Santo Domingo
Too bad about the sea weed problem. That stinks for PC.
This year seaweeds really stink. You go to the beach and it smells like sewer. It's got a little bit better in a last couple of days, but new seaweeds still keep coming. I actually wanted to rent for a year here, but I have changed my mind and I said that one month is enough for now, I'll see how this seaweed problem will develop. Because all last years it was just an unpleasant view, but now it really stinks. I would not recommend to go on vacation to Punta Cana at all.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004

Protocol to open the provinces with 70% vaccination rate fine-tuned​

Santo Domingo, DR
Luis Abinader informed yesterday that he is working together with the health authorities to define the protocol for the full reopening and eliminating the curfew in the provinces that are reaching 70% of vaccinated against the virus with the two doses.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Exactly what I have been stating and I quote:

The head of state reiterated that the Dominican population has to “learn to live with it” since he understands that Covid-19 will continue as a disease like influenza and the common flu.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Now for the CV19 64,000 Peso Question: How is this going to happen?

“I want not one Dominican to remain unvaccinated, that is what will lead us to normalization,” said President Abinader after receiving the third booster dose against Covid-19 at the San Carlos Sports Club.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I thought Altagracia was already fully open, but I guess that didn't happen and is now under review.

Jan 9, 2004
And the August tourist numbers are now out.....................

August tourist arrivals were down from July by almost 90,000 tourists to 476,000;

In spite of the much hyped pronouncements that tourism exceeds pre-pandemic levels..........that was more mere wishful thinking. Not one month in 2021 has tourist arrivals exceeded pre-pandemic levels, and as the DR heads into the swoon season it does not appear they will even come close to the yearly totals in pre-pandemic 2019 (6.4 million)

Also, if you now factor in the potential cancellations because of Delta................the numbers could look even worse.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Reactions: OldSkool

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
And the August tourist numbers are now out.....................

August tourist arrivals were down from July by almost 90,000 tourists to 476,000;

In spite of the much hyped pronouncements that tourism exceeds pre-pandemic levels..........that was more mere wishful thinking. Not one month in 2021 has tourist arrivals exceeded pre-pandemic levels, and as the DR heads into the swoon season it does not appear they will even come close to the yearly totals in pre-pandemic 2019 (6.4 million)

Also, if you now factor in the potential cancellations because of Delta................the numbers could look even worse.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
You have a special role here on dr1 lol . Getting the numbers right.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I do not know why anyone believes anything, including numbers, that come from a government source. In most cases you have to see with your own eyes or do some detailed research and make a judgement. If you take the slightest notice of Dominican Today then you will almost certainly have bad information. Altagracia is open and without a toca de queda and in La Romana the bars and discos and restaurants are all open until 10 pm and then 2 more hours to get home. There was a Carnival cruise ship in la Romana today . From my golfing trips in the Bavaro/Punta Cana area, it is very difficult to tell who is a tourist or who is a foreigner residing in the area because many Americans and Canadians now live in that area. The National and Jumbo supermarkets there are very busy and the population is growing quickly. I flew over Punta Cana yesterday and there was virtually no seaweed on the beach but there was a long line about 2 miles out to sea .Similar situation at Boca Chica...I do not know why some people write false statements here. I was told by American Airlines that their flights to the DR are full most of the time and so if they are to be believed then I imagine the tourists go from the airport direct to their AI hotels and stay there, I would do that. The secondary industries that rely on tourists leaving their hotels must be having a hard time although it is somewhat of a blessing that Macao Beach is not more destroyed by those beach 4 wheel drives. One thing is for sure.Bavaro/Punta Cana is not typical of the DR,who have been left behind in the race for tourist arrivals.

Reactions: johne