President Abinader tells of the far-reaching impacts of the war in Ukraine

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
This is one of my main concerns. Missing the last opportunity to get a flight.
I see it like Vucic.
No will for peace and an inevitable sequence of events within only a few month.

Time to make decisions.

Alexander
Reminds me of the Cuban missiles crisis in the 60’s. Castro was ready and willing to launch the nukes against the US but cooler heads, Kruschev and Kennedy prevailed. Hopefully cooler heads will prevail again and work out a process for Putin to agree to a ceasefire. The Doomsday clock was very close to midnight during the Cuban crisis. It’s close to midnight again. Not as close as it was during the Cuban crisis but close.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Reminds me of the Cuban missiles crisis in the 60’s. Castro was ready and willing to launch the nukes against the US but cooler heads, Kruschev and Kennedy prevailed. Hopefully cooler heads will prevail again and work out a process for Putin to agree to a ceasefire. The Doomsday clock was very close to midnight during the Cuban crisis. It’s close to midnight again. Not as close as it was during the Cuban crisis but close.
Kennedy ordered a naval blockade and was ready to sink Russian ships bringing missiles to Cuba. Khrushchev backed down because it was not worth risking a nuclear war over putting missiles in Cuba. Hopefully, US and European leaders will realize it's not worth risking nuclear war to put missiles in Ukraine and making it a NATO country.

Reactions: Ecoman1949

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Kennedy ordered a naval blockade and was ready to sink Russian ships bringing missiles to Cuba. Khrushchev backed down because it was not worth risking a nuclear war over putting missiles in Cuba. Hopefully, US and European leaders will realize it's not worth risking nuclear war to put missiles in Ukraine and making it a NATO country.
Khrushchev finally realized he had armed Castro, a lunatic with nuclear weapons. That must have been a very sobering experience. Honestly, I’m not worried about Putin pressing the button. I’m more worried about the unaccounted for nuclear warheads when the USSR broke up. They may be in the hands of terrorist organizations.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
This is one of my main concerns. Missing the last opportunity to get a flight.
I see it like Vucic.
No will for peace and an inevitable sequence of events within only a few month.

Time to make decisions.

Alexander
The ultra-wealthy are keeping their private jets topped-off and ready to fly to their luxury underground nuclear bunkers - like the one Zuckerberg is building in Hawaii for $270 million dollars.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Khrushchev finally realized he had armed Castro, a lunatic with nuclear weapons. That must have been a very sobering experience. Honestly, I’m not worried about Putin pressing the button. I’m more worried about the unaccounted for nuclear warheads when the USSR broke up. They may be in the hands of terrorist organizations.
Russia is not leaving the Donetsk and Luhansk regions. If NATO troops start attacking, all bets are off. Time to be worried.

FF1

Dec 17, 2022
DR
It’s a done deal as far as I know. All G7 members signed and approved the use of the interest on frozen Russian financial assets to pay to rearm the Ukraine a few days ago. About 90% for military equipment and 10% for infrastructure reconstruction. The money is in the form of a loan to the Ukraine meaning it must be paid back at some point. The biggest benefactor will be the US military complex, the main supplier of military hardware to the Ukraine. Putin’s response was that it was illegal and Russia would fight the funding agreement. Good luck with that.

Russia is having its own problems keeping their military ranks filled. A lot of young Russian men have fled the country to avoid conscription since the war began. They are trying to attract citizens from other countries to join their ranks. The same thing is happening in the Ukraine on a smaller scale. If Macron doesn’t survive his hastily called election, that might benefit Putin. Macron is a strong supporter of sending NATO troops to the Ukraine to help them fight against the Russians. LePin I suspect is not. If Macron gets re-elected, that plus the new extended range missiles given to the Ukraine and permission to use them by Germany, the UK, and the US might give Putin pause for thought. The threat of nuclear retaliation will only work to a point. He’s threatened to use it several times and NATO has still pushed forward with their Ukrainian support, despite the threats.

Don’t forget the US-Ukraine multi billion dollar 10 year military funding deal Biden just set up to prevent future congressional funding delays. The drawdown of funds goes ahead regardless of who wins the US election in November.

That’s two funding sources the Ukraine can depend on. All in all, the Ukraine is not doing too badly. Keeping their military ranks full is their biggest problem. Military technology can compensate for some of that but, ultimately, both the Ukrainian and Russian ranks will dwindle in an extended war.

China will support Russia as long as their trade with the US, the EU, and the UK is not affected. NATO members are threatening China with sanctions and embargoes. China’s economy is not as robust as it was pre Covid. They can’t afford to take significant economic hits from their major trading partners.
There is 0% chance Russia looses this war, 0. Their existence depends on this. If they fold here within 20 years Russia would not exit. Ukraine has no chance to win this, if sh*t hits the fan Russia will nuke them, and US will NOT risk a nuclear war over Ukraine. On the topic of keeping their ranks filled, Russia is only using professional soldiers (under contracts) and volunteers, domestic and foreign, Ukraine is kidnapping people of the streets and sending them to the front. China will stand with Russia as long as it takes regardless of sanctions, they know if Russia folds they are next in regards to Taiwan. Russia is fighting with one hand tied behind its back, if they fought the way US did in Iraq or Afghanistan and carpet-bomb everything disregarding civilian deaths this would've been over, Russia does not do that because they still consider majority of Ukrainian population as brothers, which they are. On the topic of long-range missiles, well Putin said if that happens he's gonna supply America's enemies with the latest Russian weapons, now imagine the fighters in Africa having the latest Russian missiles to attack US military bases there, or Houthis having Russian missiles and torpedoes to attack US ships.

Reactions: fuchs4d and cavok

FF1

Dec 17, 2022
DR
Politics. I think Abi signed because the countries that back Ukraine are the same countries that are needed for UN intervention in Haiti.
Abi does not care about solving Haiti at all, and neither does the rest of the World. There is millions of dollars being made daily trading with the corrupt Haitian officials and Abi does not care to kill that cash-cow, DR elites are exploiting Haiti as much as they can, and strong organized Haiti does not benefit DR in any way, it would only be a treat and a competitor. Well organized Haiti would take away from the tourism and foreign investments in DR, their beaches are as nice as DR's, and their workforce would be way more productive than Dominicans. Haiti is what it is because it benefits everyone except the average Haitian, US/EU NGOs are making money there getting government grants, Haitian elites are making money, DR elites are making money, DR military is making money, the Clintons are making money... 😂

fuchs4d

Mar 7, 2004
Russia is not leaving the Donetsk and Luhansk regions. If NATO troops start attacking, all bets are off. Time to be worried.
Nato is already attacking by target selection and guidance.

An influencer (whos name may not be mentioned here) just explained in simple words:
“They’re sitting on $10 to $12 trillion of critical minerals in Ukraine”.
“They could be the richest country in all of Europe. I don’t want to give that money and those assets to Putin to share with China”.

Provoking Russia to first use tactical nukes will lead to end the support of China and to the isolation of Russia.
We already have proof that Europe is sacrified by the destruction of Nordstream and the EU migration pact that destroys national idendities.
Europe was (not is) an an annoying competitor and is now sacrified.

Nato stuff is already selecting targets and helps guiding missiles.
Russia communicated clearly that they are aware of this.
Putin explained that Ukrainian military just enters coordinates (if not done remotly) and push a button to launch. Target selection and guidance is done by Nato.
If the F16 start from outside Ukrain with only a hop in Ukraine to attack Russia this probably will be interpreted as direct engagement of Nato.
What will happen then is clearly said: a hard response.
Probably it will be destroying airfields in Romania or the Ramstein airbase or even the Nato headquarter in Bruxelles as decision center.
I see the developmet up to this point as preprogrammend.
What will happen after the first revenge strike on a Nato base or airfield I do not now.
I hope it will lead to end further escalation but looking at the current leaders think it will not.

With regard to the D.R. I ask myself what will happen to the Euro and will it be even possible to get a flight.
Going from Europe via US or Canada probably will be possible in case all direct routes are canceled however expensive. USA and Canada may prohibit entry of Europeans in case too many want to leave.

Alexander

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Nato is already attacking by target selection and guidance.

An influencer (whos name may not be mentioned here) just explained in simple words:
“They’re sitting on $10 to $12 trillion of critical minerals in Ukraine”.
“They could be the richest country in all of Europe. I don’t want to give that money and those assets to Putin to share with China”.

Provoking Russia to first use tactical nukes will lead to end the support of China and to the isolation of Russia.
We already have proof that Europe is sacrified by the destruction of Nordstream and the EU migration pact that destroys national idendities.
Europe was (not is) an an annoying competitor and is now sacrified.

Nato stuff is already selecting targets and helps guiding missiles.
Russia communicated clearly that they are aware of this.
Putin explained that Ukrainian military just enters coordinates (if not done remotly) and push a button to launch. Target selection and guidance is done by Nato.
If the F16 start from outside Ukrain with only a hop in Ukraine to attack Russia this probably will be interpreted as direct engagement of Nato.
What will happen then is clearly said: a hard response.
Probably it will be destroying airfields in Romania or the Ramstein airbase or even the Nato headquarter in Bruxelles as decision center.
I see the developmet up to this point as preprogrammend.
What will happen after the first revenge strike on a Nato base or airfield I do not now.
I hope it will lead to end further escalation but looking at the current leaders think it will not.

With regard to the D.R. I ask myself what will happen to the Euro and will it be even possible to get a flight.
Going from Europe via US or Canada probably will be possible in case all direct routes are canceled however expensive. USA and Canada may prohibit entry of Europeans in case too many want to leave.

Alexander
Putin’s latest attempt to solidify Russia’s relationship with unstable North Korea is just another indication of his desperation. China supplying Russia with military hardware is feasible because China has the capability and capacity to do it. North Korea , an impoverished pariah state, the mouse that continues to roar, has limited military hardware supply capacity. North Korea supplies a few weapons and they get to ride on Russia’s coattails as long as it’s beneficial for them. Good for North Korea, not so good for Russia.

I agree that China will quickly isolate Russia if Putin chooses the nuclear option or China’s economic downturn is worsened by Western embargoes and sanctions. China doesn’t need Russia. Russia needs China.

NATO members like France, Finland, and others are primed and ready to retaliate against any form of Russian aggression on NATO member countries. Putin won’t use his nuclear option to risk his financial and political fortunes. if he did, he would lose control of the political chess game he is playing. He may decide to do a symbolic non nuclear hit on NATO soil to send a message to NATO and strengthen his hand at a cease fire bargaining table. He’s already made overtures about his willingness to talk about a ceasefire on his terms. He is showing signs he wants to extricate himself from the mistake of invading the Ukraine and get on with the job of adding to his financial fortunes by corrupt means. In the end it’s all about money. Money to line his pockets or money to be gained from acquiring the natural resources of other countries.

The wildcard here is the US and its desire to keep destroying the Russian military by proxy. A effective tactic that doesn’t risk US military lives and economically fuels the US industrial complex which, in turn, powers the US economy. The US has benefitted politically, economically and militarily supporting Ukraine. They will benefit even more if Putin decides to hit a NATO base. They know Putin is bluffing about using his nuclear option which is why the US is pushing him even more by giving the Ukraine extended military capabilities. They want Putin to make the mistake of invading a NATO member. If Putin does, the US won’t need a proxy. They will lead a NATO retaliation force with the UK and France close by their side.

Putin made the mistake of ordering his forces into the Ukraine thinking it would be similar to what happened in Crimea. NATO stood by and watched his takeover in Crimea. In the Ukraine,Russian forces were met with heavy resistance and a major loss of Russian military lives and equipment and it continues today on both sides. Given the atrocities the Russian military has inflicted on Ukrainian citizens, the brotherly love the Russians supposedly had for the Ukrainians and vice versa Is long gone. Brotherly love is not a concept a cold blooded KGB trained killer like Putin can grasp. The best Putin can do now is negotiate a face saving ceasefire, lick his wounds, return to his main job of Russian dictator, and continue poisoning, jailing, and killing off his Russian political opponents.

There will be no safe way of flying to Europe through Canada or the US from the DR to escape Russian aggression. The Canadian and US North are on Russia’s doorstep. They are under constant threat of Russian aggression during peacetime. The risk will increase significantly if Putin invades a NATO country.

I live next to a former USAF base and we have another major one still active and used by NATO air forces in another part of our province. We are on Britain and Europe‘s doorstep and the bases could easily be reactivated as staging areas for NATO forces to attack Northern Russia. If Putin pushes the nuclear button, I have no doubt Russian nukes will be targeting our part of Canada.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Please remember that the topic is the effects of the war in Ukraine on the DR.

Discussion of the war itself, and of its effect on Europe, is not DR or thread related.