President Abinader to speak at 76th UN Assembly; will hold meetings with Dominican diaspora

Alejandra

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2016
Luis-Abinader-Viaja-NY-ONU-Diario-Libre.jpg

President Luis Abinader is scheduled to travel to New York City on Saturday, 18 September for a five-day visit. In New York agenda he will meet with the Dominican community and then speak at the 76th United Nations General Assembly on Wednesday, 22 September. An estimated 1.5 million Dominicans live in the New York area.

On Sunday, 19 September, President Abinader will pitch the first ball at the Mets vs. Phillies game at the Citi Field. On 20 September, President Abinader will participate in the World Leaders Forum at Columbia University. He will also attend the opening of an exhibition at City College of New York.

The Presidency reports that Abinader will travel with Foreign Relations Minister Roberto Alvarez, Administrative Minister of the Presidency Jose Ignacio Paliza. The Dominican mission to the United Nations is head by Ambassador Jose Blanco.

President...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Giving citizenship to Dominicans born in USA ceremony. Abinader was suppose to be there for a few moments, but rather decided to stay until the end and changed the plans for the event. The speech he gave at the podium was completely improvised by him, not written.

Giving recognition to Dominicans that excelled in various fields in the USA. This includes one that is deaf and mute from birth, and another one confined to a wheel chair. Their disabilities were no impediment in preventing them to rise above the rest. The actual plaque giving starts at around 1:19:00.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
"The speech he gave at the podium was completely improvised by him, not written."

He's doing that a lot. He gives a lot of access to media programs as well, and it's impressive how he can throw out facts and figures on the status of different programs and a variety of other issues.

In that respect, he reminds me a little bit of Balaguer who seemed to have a photographic memory.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
He seems to be creating some sort of revolution regarding speeches, because Dominican politicians usually read their speeches. Sometimes I wonder if they really wrote them, but I don't think so. When they go off track and loose their place on the sheet, they seem to not know what to say and remain quiet while searching the spot they left off. If they wrote it, at least they would know what each section is about. Plus, the purpose of a written speech is to guide you as you say a speech from memory or improvised, not to read the whole thing.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
He seems to be creating some sort of revolution regarding speeches, because Dominican politicians usually read their speeches. Sometimes I wonder if they really wrote them, but I don't think so. When they go off track and loose their place on the sheet, they seem to not know what to say and remain quiet while searching the spot they left off. If they wrote it, at least they would know what each section is about. Plus, the purpose of a written speech is to guide you as you say a speech from memory or improvised, not to read the whole thing.
I once heard Danilo speak at an event. Terrible. Sounded like a robot. So Abinader is a better speaker.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
That guy made the threat on days before Abinader went to NY. It was obvious he had mental issues. On another ocassion he claims that he knows Abinader and that in the 2020 elections he was to be president and Abinader agreed he would be vice president. :rolleyes: