President Jovenel Moïse assassinated in the night in his private residence

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
In the news on canal 9 (noticias SIN) they said 6 of the group are americans....
US news has one American among the group, no mention if alive or dead.
Haiti could collapse in this new mess.
Be interesting to see the US and the DR response.
Could be time for the neighbors to get involved in a meaningful way?

Big

Apr 24, 2019
well if they "gouged" his eye out as reported that leaves out any military type assassins. This information is as reliable as crypto money

Reactions: ctrob

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
well if they "gouged" his eye out as reported that leaves out any military type assassins. This information is as reliable as crypto money

I imagine that's just poor reporting. One report said he had a shot to the temple. Physics removed the eye.

Reactions: JD Jones and jd426

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006

No way. I could see saying that after a bad earthquake. And we know how that turned out.

The US is just now getting out of Afghanistan after 20 years. 60,000 Americans were killed in Viet Nam. What was accomplished in those conflicts?
No way the US will get involved in the Haitian mess. And without the US, I doubt any others will.

Reactions: windeguy

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
May they all be caught and have the full weight of Haitian laws fall on them for the rest of their lives.
You can bet your arse that even if the two non-Haitians aren't among the guilty it will fall heavily on them all the same. They are blan after all, and the fundamental unfairness of what happens to pass as justice system there regarding those hasn't changed a bit in the last two centuries, not even the Yanks could change this.

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Haiti could collapse? Really?

How would it be worse than it is now?

The US has said it won't even help protect the DR's border with Haiti, so who is going to step in?

Reactions: aarhus

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Haitian police has made a press conference. There were 28 in total in the group of the assassins, 15 of which are already under Haitian police custody and the rest either have been killed by the police or are still in hiding.

Now get this, the group was composed by 2 Haitian-Americans and 26 Colombians. Yes, that's not a typo, 26. What were they planning to do? Destroy a part of Port-au-Prince?

It's in Spanish in this Twitter post for a half hour ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: Auryn and aarhus

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
All appearances so far indicate two things of interest...
1...The gang of mercenaries weren't half as smart or as tough as they thought they were. They forgot to plan for an escape.
2...The Haitian police proved to be far more efficient than anybody might have given them credit for.

Assuming, of course, that it wasn't one giant set up from the beginning.
Everything is just so damn complicated in Haiti.
I gave up trying to understand the way of things there a long time ago.
Callous?
Yes.
Realistic?
Again, yes.
Still...

Reactions: drstock and aarhus

Tarheel

Dec 19, 2005
Haiti collapsed a long time ago.

Reactions: windeguy

Tarheel

Dec 19, 2005
The only photo that I've seen of his body his fly was down,maybe they cut off his weiner too,horrible.
If true it was an inside job done by people who wanted to send a message. Note that the servants were only tied up and not harmed. Outside mercenaries would have killed everyone in the house. This was a coordinated job by people inside the government. That is my opinion.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
All appearances so far indicate two things of interest...
1...The gang of mercenaries weren't half as smart or as tough as they thought they were. They forgot to plan for an escape.
2...The Haitian police proved to be far more efficient than anybody might have given them credit for.

Assuming, of course, that it wasn't one giant set up from the beginning.
Everything is just so damn complicated in Haiti.
I gave up trying to understand the way of things there a long time ago.
Callous?
Yes.
Realistic?
Again, yes.
Still...
Regarding 2; maybe the Haitian police got international/US help finding them.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Is Haiti better off without him as President (although his term was over?) ? Clearly this attack was aimed at the President. In politics your enemy runs deep, and obviously he had plenty. Actually nothing would surprise me regarding who was involved.

Goliath94K

Sep 30, 2013
She says thats the woman who drove the two Dominicans that got kidnapped by the gangs after being freed. Would be nice if someone contacted one of the Dominicans that got kidnapped and see if this is true...

Also two Haitian policemen just got caught by the Dominican Army trying to cross into DR. Anyone knows what happened with the previous policemen and mayor that got caught months back?