President Medina asks to extend State of Emergency for another 25 days

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
This is over. The weather is warm and it's fairly easy to social distance at beaches if they don't run crowded beach buses from Santiago.
As Moses (and Charlton Heston) said to Pharoah : "Let My People Go".
That was speaking truth to power biblical style.
Hypochondriac girlie-men can shelter in their homes and wear masks 24/7 until some políticos pass out loaded needles to inject you with a prophylactic promise or tell you they've decided the coast is now clear, and they were your only acting as your "protectors".
Intelligent persons will get back to living as free people.

Reactions: wayne

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
E9734FFB-68C6-45BC-9999-C021A30390BA.jpeg

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
First, I :ROFLMAO: really funny. But then I saw another reaction :( which is also true for many.

In my home country, most will spend their vacation and money at home, and not going abroad this year.
Which is good because not many tourist will come. So they support their own country.

Government advisory to not recommend unnecessary trips abroad invalidate their travel insurance.
Which is fine for me, but DR really needs the money, thus I am sad as well.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
First, I :ROFLMAO: really funny. But then I saw another reaction :( which is also true for many.

In my home country, most will spend their vacation and money at home, and not going abroad this year.
Which is good because not many tourist will come. So they support their own country.

Government advisory to not recommend unnecessary trips abroad invalidate their travel insurance.
Which is fine for me, but DR really needs the money, thus I am sad as well.
You actually bring a good point...especially for us North Coast snowbirds. ..insurance companies won’t cover you right now who is willing to travel without it?

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
You actually bring a good point...especially for us North Coast snowbirds. ..insurance companies won’t cover you right now who is willing to travel without it?
Thousands of people travel abroad every
year without it. The JetBlue boys are itching (according to bar owners I know
on the North Coast) to fly back down to Sosua as soon as flights are available. Only question is where will they be eating, sleeping and drinking with their chicas? Will they be required to stay 6 ft away from their chicas in public?

Reactions: NanSanPedro

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
if-if-if not extended, I expect mayhem
we're on our own...
be safe - help others if you can..... struggle on
Mayhem? Please explain.
I/ most of us who live here
help others (locals) on a
regular basis.

I stated prior, the opposition rejecting
the proposed extension has absolutely nothing to do with people's heath and well-
being.

If the government really cared about the
people who live in this country it wouldn't
have half the problems it currently has. I shouldn't have to spell that out you.

Question: At what point in time are people supposed to live without the fear of being tossed into a overcrowded disgusting jail cell for being outside after 7pm?

Reactions: etolw

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Thousands of people travel abroad every
year without it. The JetBlue boys are itching (according to bar owners I know
on the North Coast) to fly back down to Sosua as soon as flights are available. Only question is where will they be eating, sleeping and drinking with their chicas? Will they be required to stay 6 ft away from their chicas in public?
According to bar owners ...hahahahahaha same ones saying 1000 flip flops on the ground :) Most of those jet blue crowds not all can’t afford the insurance , cash advancing there credit cards for love life..without snowbirds and expats North Coast would die a slow death of 1000 paper cuts..

Reactions: CristoRey

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Question: At what point in time are people supposed to live without the fear of being tossed into a overcrowded disgusting jail cell for being outside after 7pm?

Opposition to the curfew as it is currently implemented is one thing, opposition to the S.O.E. that enables the government to regulate the moment and gathering of people is a separate issue. Without this authority, the government will likely lose the ability to regulate the rate of disease spread within the country - assuming that's what they are successfully achieving now.

Since people are out of their homes and moving around 14 hours a day, I don't think modifying the curfew hours or scrapping it altogether will make much of a difference. I have to assume that most of the population is at home and probably in bed between midnight and 5 am anyway.

Reactions: CristoRey and etolw

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
According to bar owners ...hahahahahaha same ones saying 1000 flip flops on the ground :) Most of those jet blue crowds not all can’t afford the insurance , cash advancing there credit cards for love life..without snowbirds and expats North Coast would die a slow death of 1000 paper cuts..
...i've heard the same from restaurant and hotel owners in addition to the folks i know who own bars.
Those weekend warriors and JetBlue boys do contribute to the North Coast tourism economy.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I haven't seen any proposed date for bars, clubs, discos, and "entertainment sites" to open(?). Until then, I don't think the JetBlue crowd will be interested in coming.

Reactions: CristoRey

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I've never traveled with travel insurance nor know anyone that does. What does it cover?

Thank you !!!! It never covers more than what my Amex would cover :unsure: It s a rip off to me.
Then again, I recently bought headphones for my daughter recently ($9.99) and they ask me if I wanted to buy insurance :ROFLMAO:

csteinwand

May 11, 2020
Puerto Plata
I still have my flight for June 5th from Miami to POP, if this gets cancelled I will be homeless until the date I can fly. We live in Puerto Plata.

Unfortunately I have been unable to get my residency because of the pandemic, but my wife and daughter are DR citizens.

Just waiting for the cancellation from AA... Guess it wouldn't be the worst thing if they sent me back and I was stuck in Miami for a few weeks.

Anyone got a boat :)

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Your wife and daughter can come anytime there is a flight that actually takes off. You on the other hand because of your expired residency are stuck waiting until the tourists are allowed back.

If/when residents are allowed to enter (it's still unclear what the entry rules are for DR residents right now), a case can be made that it has not been possible to renew your residency as DGM was closed but I'm not sure how effective such an argument will be with a frontline immigration official.

I know several people with expired residency cards who are still in country waiting for their appointment to renew.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I see the senate held strong with not extending the SOE.. wonder who really runs the show
The Senate voted to extend the SOE.

Any time now the Chamber of Deputies will vote. Probably against any more extensions of the SOE

The Chamber of Deputies is meeting today, with a front task that has generated many expectations: trying to approve, for the fourth time, the state of emergency, as requested by the Executive Power. Although it was approved yesterday by the Senate, without major obstacles, the plurality and the correlation of forces in the lower house make it very difficult for the piece to be approved or, at least, as it is presented. It is that all the parties that make up the opposition bloc announced that they will not vote for the extension of the exception period.

csteinwand

May 11, 2020
Puerto Plata
The Senate voted to extend the SOE.

Any time now the Chamber of Deputies will vote. Probably against any more extensions of the SOE

you didn't pick up on my sarcasm, my bad.. I could have sworn though I heard the senate saying they would not grant another extension (same as previously), but then after a closed door meeting they granted the extension. seems very fishy..

I really hope the Chamber of Deputies can stop this, but only time will tell

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I still have my flight for June 5th from Miami to POP, if this gets cancelled I will be homeless until the date I can fly. We live in Puerto Plata.

Unfortunately I have been unable to get my residency because of the pandemic, but my wife and daughter are DR citizens.

Just waiting for the cancellation from AA... Guess it wouldn't be the worst thing if they sent me back and I was stuck in Miami for a few weeks.

Anyone got a boat :)
POP, as posted in the news, may be the last airport to open for passengers in the DR. Good luck. You should be able to fly back after July 1 depending upon what airlines care to fly to the DR and to what airports.

Reactions: csteinwand