President Medina asks to extend State of Emergency for another 25 days

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
you didn't pick up on my sarcasm, my bad.. I could have sworn though I heard the senate saying they would not grant another extension (same as previously), but then after a closed door meeting they granted the extension. seems very fishy..

I really hope the Chamber of Deputies can stop this, but only time will tell
I did miss the sarcasm. The Senate is on Danilo's side. The Chamber of Deputies is controlled by opposition parties. Checks and Balances. Any moment now, we will know the results. Almost certainly there will not be another extension of the SOE.

Reactions: csteinwand

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
As has already been said, if the SOE is not approved, the curfew will be lifted, but that does not guarantee tht the airports will open. I think the president still has that within his power based on the phases that were already approved, and also under the constitution, according to an opinion by some top government lawyer. Can;t find the article.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
Could it be they just want the SOE to keep the curfew. And then let most things start going back to normal in those phases.

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
Like it has been said in this thread, extending the curfew does not help much to prevent infections.
From my dominican friends I only hear frustration now, regarding the curfew

And c(a$$es) like those referenced below does not help gathering support for the S.O.E

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I believe we are watching the dilemmas described in the last part of post #13

Nobody want to be left with all the bad cards in this game before elections
As I see it, the SOE is about the curfew and the curfew alone. That is to prevent crime and does little to prevent the spread of CV-19.

I don't see the end of post #13 as being the issue. That refers to the reopening plan the government created.

The votes are not there to extend the curfew and a procedural action was done to delay the inevitable until tomorrow.

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
As I see it, the SOE is about the curfew and the curfew alone. That is to prevent crime and does little to prevent the spread of CV-19.

I don't see the end of post #13 as being the issue. That refers to the reopening plan the government created.

The votes are not there to extend the curfew and a procedural action was done to delay the inevitable until tomorrow.
Yes, I commented that in post #9, crime part.

You can feel the desperation in the streets on certain locations

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
If that is true, then June 2 onward could be interesting in those parts.
Hope all goes well, but serious shit happens without all this loss of income.

Serious drug addicts and low life's, not the normal Dominican

But I have no crystal ball to tell if we will see more crime. only know that the lockdown has serious consequences for very many

GusFring

Apr 15, 2020

I read last night it(SOE) was extended by a vote of 22-1 with nobody from the opposition side in attendance.

The first paragraph of this article today also says it was approved.

"The deputies could not hear this morning the request for the extension of the national state of emergency, requested by President Danilo Medina and which was approved yesterday by the Senate."

GusFring

Apr 15, 2020
I did miss the sarcasm. The Senate is on Danilo's side. The Chamber of Deputies is controlled by opposition parties. Checks and Balances. Any moment now, we will know the results. Almost certainly there will not be another extension of the SOE.
Almost certainly🤣

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Q
I've never traveled with travel insurance nor know anyone that does. What does it cover?
it covers when shit happens and that car or moped rear ends you and it’s your fault and your vacationing in Hospital :(

Tonchi

Nov 17, 2015
"He said that the curfew and National State of Emergency need to continue because Covid-19 is not over in the Dominican Republic " REALLY????? Add another 24 months if that is the criteria. Unbelievable

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
"He said that the curfew and National State of Emergency need to continue because Covid-19 is not over in the Dominican Republic " REALLY????? Add another 24 months if that is the criteria. Unbelievable

Percentage wise, the ones that are really going to suffer are the elderly, whatever the decision.......

Last edited:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I read last night it(SOE) was extended by a vote of 22-1 with nobody from the opposition side in attendance.

The first paragraph of this article today also says it was approved.

"The deputies could not hear this morning the request for the extension of the national state of emergency, requested by President Danilo Medina and which was approved yesterday by the Senate."

Both the Senate and the Deputies need to approve an SOE. The Senate votes with Danilo and approves the SOE. That is not enough to grant an SOE. The Deputies delayed the vote until tomorrow when they almost certainly will vote NO to extend the SOE. Most likely the curfew will end on June 1.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I choose to take the opposite view. I feel the opposition to the S.O.E. is mostly political grandstanding as none of the opposition parties wish to assume power in July having made the situation worse for themselves. I expect the vote to pass but with some modifications. Maybe with an agreement to end the curfew but maintaining the ability to restrict mobility from one place to another.

We'll see.