President requests to extend the National State of Emergency

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Luis-Abinader-Diario-Libre.jpg

With the argument that the National State of Emergency declaration is necessary to keep the curfew, President Luis Abinader has asked Congress for a 45-day extension. The National State of Emergency has practically been in effect since mid March. Abinader sent the request to the Chamber of Deputies on Friday, 8 October 2020

The Presidency says that the measures adopted under the state of emergency have allowed the country to contain the spread of the Covid-19 virus. The Presidency argues it is still necessary to keep some of these to ensure an orderly reopening.

Read more in Spanish:Diario Libre

12 October 2020

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
They probably will never let it lapse. It's just another government control they use to keep their thumb on the people.
But they are going to start feeling more pressure from local restaurants and bars and all tourism-dependent business.

I think an 10 PM or 11 PM curfew 7 days a week, beaches too, is a reasonable next step.

Masks are slowly disappearing and I think most people feel they have been exposed already and either were infected with little or no symptoms or perhaps that they think they will not get it ?

The government can not keep this going a full year, or they will destroy 2021 tourist season as well

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The government can keep this going forever and ever and that is a long time. CV19 is not going anywhere. It is getting more contagious.

A local news story reported that 70% of Dominicans think they will never get CV19.

CV19 could kill up to 0.4 per cent. So the number is closer to 99.6% survival rate.

Reactions: irishpaddy

user123

Aug 16, 2017
CDC recently updated estimated infection fatality rates for COVID. Here are the updated survival rates by age group:
0-19: 99.997%
20-49: 99.98%
50-69: 99.5%
70+: 94.6%

80+% of the DR population is in the 0-49 age group, so Covid could kill up to 0.02% 😱 (If you believe in any of this Covid mambo-jumbo😁)

Reactions: Garyexpat

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Until the people understand and respect the problem.....
they need to be controlled.

Like a repeat criminal... sooner/later - jail , tough love enters the picture

Juan Q Public does NOT get it./.... and may never get it.

Insidious is what this disease is......and perhaps, perpetual.... like 9-11

Reactions: Andre14615

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014

According the article/ link posted in the "Americans to invade the DR this winter" : =traveloffpath.com
The Dominican Republic recently dropped its COVID-19 testing requirements in hopes it will attract more tourists this winter.
While not formally announced, the move came after the Cancun International airport recorded over 300,000 international tourists in August.

Where is your outrage?
So you refer to those who disagree with you as "repeat criminals", really?
I'd give my last dollar to see you say that to a criminals face.
Stop wondering around with your head up your rear end thinking
people don't respect the problem. Tough love doesn't pay the
bills. Tough love is not going to replace the time these children
have lost in the (already) broken education system.
Stop fear mongering. It will never cure the virus. All it does is cause
more people more problems. Folks are getting fed up with these paranoid
covid freaks and their horror stories about the "what if's" in their lives.
Get a grip on yourself. If you're old, fat, gimp or in poor health don't
take it out on the rest of us. Feel free to shelter in place until hell freezes over.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
You're losing it....

I likened a noncompliant public to a noncompliant citiizen...
They make laws to control them.

Are these new meds you're on.....

go back to what you had before... or get new doctor
No meds. Large groups of people like you are a danger to society.
WATCH: Dr David Nabarro, the WHO's Special Envoy on Covid-19, tells Andrew Neil: 'We really do appeal to all world leaders: stop using lockdown as your primary control method'. Watch the full interview here:
#SpectatorTV @afneil | @davidnabarro

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
The government can keep this going forever and ever and that is a long time. CV19 is not going anywhere. It is getting more contagious.

A local news story reported that 70% of Dominicans think they will never get CV19.

CV19 could kill up to 0.4 per cent. So the number is closer to 99.6% survival rate.

0.4% of 10847910 = 43391.64

Hope none of your family members will be among the disposable number.
Mothers, Fathers, Grandparents, Children..........

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Here, check out the middle road

The report - yours or mine - does NOT suggest what you say
It says to find moderation.... not to abdicate

Doing pretty well here I say

and that's all I'll say carry on spouting

Joseph NY2STI

Mar 22, 2020
I'm voting for the first politician who has the guts to state the obvious: People will be getting infected and dying of this disease for many, many years to come - even with a vaccine. Readily available flu vaccines in developed countries and still millions get sick and tens of thousands die from it. It took decades for polio to be considered eradicated after that vaccine was developed.

World leaders need to make a decision and they need to make it soon while they still have some semblance of an economy left. The cure is rapidly becoming worse than the disease, assuming it hasn't happened already.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Here, check out the middle road

The report - yours or mine - does NOT suggest what you say
It says to find moderation.... not to abdicate

Doing pretty well here I say

and that's all I'll say carry on spouting
Wear a mask.
Wash your hands.
Wipe down with sanitizer
and do whatever else you
normally do with your life
but stop telling the rest of
us how to live.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
They probably will never let it lapse. It's just another government control they use to keep their thumb on the people.
But they are going to start feeling more pressure from local restaurants and bars and all tourism-dependent business.

I think an 10 PM or 11 PM curfew 7 days a week, beaches too, is a reasonable next step.

Masks are slowly disappearing and I think most people feel they have been exposed already and either were infected with little or no symptoms or perhaps that they think they will not get it ?

The government can not keep this going a full year, or they will destroy 2021 tourist season as well

Very fair point about the holiday tourism season. This isn't Brazil, Colombia, or even Jamaica. Those countries are much less dependent on tourism than the Dominican Republic. Even if it were more popular, I doubt the loan program to encourage Dominicans to become resort guests would be enough to keep the industry afloat. A reasonable compromise would be an exemption to curfew rules for designated tourism businesses. Something similar was put in place way back when Leonel put the kibosh on 24/7 alcohol sales.

Reactions: campesinadeatl

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012

I disagree. I don't think the job of the Gov. is to be my parent.
"
"Until the people understand and respect the problem.....
they need to be controlled." - sounds like something Mao or Stalin would have said. In my opinion, the shut downs have down more damage to countries than the Wuhan Virus.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Tourism aside, does anybody really, truly believe that a curfew may stand any chance of being enforced within the real RD for the 6 week time period beginning December 1st?
Dominicans I know are not interested in what this governments wants. They are sick and tired of being pushed around and told what time to be home.

• Love
Reactions: wayne and Caonabo

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009

Mask are slowly disappearing where? I was in Santo Domingo all of last week and everybody had a mask on everywhere I went. Here is Sosua I see people with mask everywhere also.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Tourism aside, does anybody really, truly believe that a curfew may stand any chance of being enforced within the real RD for the 6 week time period beginning December 1st?
LOL. "Merry Christmas officer. Regards to mi tia Rosa and enjoy a cold one on me."

Reactions: Caonabo

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I think tourists could live with the situation that there is Covid world wide and we need to wear a mask and be respectful of social distancing. I have seen and heard this every month in my travels. More and more, (and the planes are fuller than ever) people are abiding by the rules.

HOWEVER, it's the curfew baby! The gubmint can't tell the world to come here because we have no covid. They get it. They can say it's 85 degrees and sunny.
What they COULD say is; sunny, short trip, beaches, music, AI, food, sex, insurance paid for, and NO CURFEWS. "Come and enjoy yourself but wear a mask and social distance it". Seems simple to me and worth hundreds of millions of plates of sanchocho (payable in $$$$) :oops::cool:;)