Presidente owned by Heineken?

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
I just came across something peculiar. On its website Heineken has a list of their brands per country. For the Dominican Republic they present 'Heineken' and 'Presidente'. And among the list of their breweries is Cerveceria Nacional Dominicana. :confused: Is Presidente owned by Heineken?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I don't think so - it probably just means that CND is authorised to bottle Heineken in the DR.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I thought the owners of Presidente-and several other brands including Miller in the US and Heinekin-was a South African beer consortium.

Maybe I'm wrong.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
that would be an interesting combination of beer taste, german and dominican ? if it were true....

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Phillip Morris sold it's brewery division to South African Breweries a few years ago. I believe their beer portfolio also included 49% of Cerveceria Nacional.
Grupo Leon Jimenes is still a majority owner of CND. Heineken is brewed under license.

Cervecer?a Nacional Dominicana

Last edited:

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Why is Budweiser listed in Argentina?
Maybe BUD is brewed by Heineken in Argentina!

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
Why is Budweiser listed in Argentina?
Maybe BUD is brewed by Heineken in Argentina!
yeah, I think so. I know Heineken brews Bud under license in Russia. Weird, because it's a direct competitor, but true. Probably the same for Argentina.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
yeah, I think so. I know Heineken brews Bud under license in Russia. Weird, because it's a direct competitor, but true. Probably the same for Argentina.
There is $$$ in keeping production capacity full.

manunut

Nov 17, 2006
probably.........

I thought the owners of Presidente-and several other brands including Miller in the US and Heinekin-was a South African beer consortium.

Maybe I'm wrong.
may be right about heineken being from sth africa.
the main brewery is in holland.hence i allways thought it was from holland.
but sth africa the old one was more or less set up by the dutch-there flag was the main part of the old st african one,and arficans is like shaksperian english only in dutch.if you speak dutch you can do africans too.
on the presidente side.the original factory and the brew was set up by the danish company carlsberg.they pulled out for the same reasons a nbr of us electricity supply companys did.got fed up waiting to be paid.thus cutting there losses and abandoning the plant to the injuns.
brahma beer is the best tasting and a wee bit cheaper to boot beer on the island in my humble opinion.

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
may be right about heineken being from sth africa.
the main brewery is in holland.hence i allways thought it was from holland.
but sth africa the old one was more or less set up by the dutch-there flag was the main part of the old st african one,and arficans is like shaksperian english only in dutch.if you speak dutch you can do africans too.quote]
Not really. Heineken is not from South Africa, it's Dutch. The South African breweries apparently invested in the DR beer market, has nothing to do with the ownership of Heineken international. Afrikaans and South-African history has nothing to do with it either. The Dutch didn't really set up the country. There was a bunch of settlers with Dutch origins, but it was mostly a British colony. You're right about Afrikaans sounding like 17th century Dutch, but that certainly doesn't mean that if you can speak Dutch you can even understand Afrikaans. No way. It's a funny language though.

C

Chip00

So what's the final word guys? Is Heineken majority owner of CND? I saw the webpage and they do have Presidente listed as a brand.

vince1956

On Vacation!
May 24, 2006
Luxner | Articles Even so, says Le?n, CND controls 98% of the Dominican beer market through Presidente (95%) and three other brands which together comprise 3%: Heineken and Bohemia, brewed locally by CND, and Miller, which the company imports