preventing cockroaches

eibbed

Jul 31, 2009
clove/lavender/citronella essential oils = mosquito repellent

There are several combinations of essential oils you can use for repelling mosquitos, but the most effective (imho) is equal parts of the following essential oils: citronella, lavender and clove. As you probably know, put the mixture, to which you should add a few teaspoons or so of water, in your diffuser.

Much more pleasant than simply lighting a citronella candle.

Given your question about aromatherapy/essential oils, do you know where to find oils in the DR?

I would like to know more about the aromatherapy way to get rid of mosquitos.. Do tell please.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
the essential oils give very short lasting protection, you would need to douse yourself every 20 minutes at least-

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Harness them

The last time we were in SD I saw a giant palmetto bug in my suegra's house, which is really unusual. I don't think I've seen more than a few in 35 years there. My husband tried to kill it but it escaped . My suegra was very calm, she said that meant it was going to rain. ????????

When I lived in Grenada we used to answer folks

"How do I get into town?"

"Grab two cockroaches and a whip"

eibbed

Jul 31, 2009
use of essential oils

There are many essential oils that you should not apply to skin. With aromatherapy use to repel insects/mosquitos, the practice is to use a diffuser and warm the oils with tealights to create an aroma within your environment.

You don't apply this essential oil blend to skin, nor do you "douse yourself" with the essential oil blends.

the essential oils give very short lasting protection, you would need to douse yourself every 20 minutes at least-

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
only for burning

There are several combinations of essential oils you can use for repelling mosquitos, but the most effective (imho) is equal parts of the following essential oils: citronella, lavender and clove. As you probably know, put the mixture, to which you should add a few teaspoons or so of water, in your diffuser.

Much more pleasant than simply lighting a citronella candle.

Given your question about aromatherapy/essential oils, do you know where to find oils in the DR?

You can find BURNING oils in lots of places around the Capital. Diamond Mall and the Farmacia Carmina opposite Villar Hermanos in Gazcue has them. But I have not found ANY essential oils for personal use. It is one of the things that I bring back from the States with me when I go.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
You can find BURNING oils in lots of places around the Capital. Diamond Mall and the Farmacia Carmina opposite Villar Hermanos in Gazcue has them. But I have not found ANY essential oils for personal use. It is one of the things that I bring back from the States with me when I go.

The health food store in Jarabacoa sells essential oils so probably a health food/vitamin store in SANTO DOMINGO would sell them.

lajackael

Dec 12, 2004
pages.prodigy.net
When I was stationed in the Army at Walter Reed Medical Center. Apparently the Army utilized a colonel to work full time to find a way to stop the cockroach. It was his FULL time job.
He put out the information in a military Journal that the ingredient of Borac Acid is the best way to kill the cockroach which has been around longer then man. The acid eats through their coat/skin.......
It takes around two months for them to step in it and carry it back to their cells. But once they find out their cells are dying from the acid.....they will "Never" return to your house. Once in a while maybe twice a year I see a lone "lost" large one (often called a waterbug)dragging his way to the door half dead........you have to put it in places that will "not" be cleaned. High in cabnits in the kitchen and wait for a few months.

robbie

Bronze
Aug 3, 2006
borac acid

Borac acid sounds good, I'm in Punta cana. I have seen 1 BIG sucker cockroach each of 2 days i have arrived. I have no garbage, nothing, I havnt even gone grocery shopping yet. Both time same place, crawling in front of sink cabinet in kitchen, they could be coming in under front door which is close. where do I put this that i dont step in it?
I'm open to suggestions!We never had any last time we were here.:confused:
Do I buy this as borac acid or another name? or should I use the sugar?? i have no pets or small children.

E

engineerfg

Listen, the sure fire way of getting rid of flying bugs, is to leave the country. You're in the tropics now, don't let a little flying bug freak you out. They're everywhere and if that doesn't scare you, something else flying or wiggling will. There isn't enough insecticide to deal with everything that goes squish or sqosh. Just don't eat their droppings and change your mindset and you'll be fine. Big deal, flying bug, brush your shoulder off and move on.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Borac acid sounds good, I'm in Punta cana. I have seen 1 BIG sucker cockroach each of 2 days i have arrived. I have no garbage, nothing, I havnt even gone grocery shopping yet. Both time same place, crawling in front of sink cabinet in kitchen, they could be coming in under front door which is close. where do I put this that i dont step in it?
I'm open to suggestions!We never had any last time we were here.:confused:
Do I buy this as borac acid or another name? or should I use the sugar?? i have no pets or small children.

Turn off all of the lights and go to the bathroom at 2 am because if you leave your tooth brush on the counter top they will be all over it and you can chase them down and crush them like ....Tony Montanna would!

I import combat traps via Amazon.com and have not seen a cockroach in 9 months as advertised!

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009
Listen, the sure fire way of getting rid of flying bugs, is to leave the country. You're in the tropics now, don't let a little flying bug freak you out. They're everywhere and if that doesn't scare you, something else flying or wiggling will. There isn't enough insecticide to deal with everything that goes squish or sqosh. Just don't eat their droppings and change your mindset and you'll be fine. Big deal, flying bug, brush your shoulder off and move on.

the bug stops here!!!

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Being from Tampa, we had all sorts of bugs.

The big flying roaches are really Palmetto Bugs and primarily live outside. They aren't the ones that live inside and breed like the little ones. They come inside, they just prefer piles of wet, dark hubris outsideas living quarters.

The little cockroaches are the nasty ones, like the German Cockroaches.

Besides a cat, one sure fire, inexpensive way to get rid of them is borax, either the small aspirin-like tablets or some simple borax powder, aka sodium borate, sodium tetraborate, or disodium tetraborate.

Remember the old 20 Mule Team Borax Ronald Reagan used to pitch in the 50's? That's the stuff.

Reactions: SantiagoDR

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Being from Tampa, we had all sorts of bugs.
Remember the old 20 Mule Team Borax Ronald Reagan used to pitch in the 50's? That's the stuff.
I brought down a 4 lb 12 oz box with me on my last return to Santiago.

2wf0mxe.jpg

t9d26v.gif

SantiagoDR

Reactions: cobraboy

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
I hate using Borax since we have dogs living in the house. I use it but only on places where I am sure they cannot get to it.

I had a magnificent etheric oil which I brought from Egypt on one of our trips. Was a courtesy of the hotel manager, it came with a very fragile glass painted container to burn the oil in. I managed to bring over that special burner with me without breaking it from Egypt and then to the DR (YOW :bunny:) and it worked magic on ants, mosquito's and cucaracha's, it smelled delicious like spice (almonds) but...my bottle is empty :(

Nobody planning a trip to Egypt soon?? :bunny:

Reactions: SantiagoDR

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I hate using Borax since we have dogs living in the house. I use it but only on places where I am sure they cannot get to it.
Why would you put it where dogs can get it? It's simple to put where thay won't go after it. I don't know many animals that willingly eat a soap additive.

I've used Borax for many years with 3 indoor dogs and a cat around it. No problems. Not once.

It's not like you put it in meatballs.

I would think if one could train a dog to NOT eat a piece of meat from a stranger they could train a dog not to go into the cabinets.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
As far as getting rid of the flying roaches goes I don't think you can. They don't actually seem to fly that well so I'm not sure how much control they have over the direction they are going. They seem to climb up trees and then jump off, base jumping roaches. We have lots of fruit trees around us so we are constantly bombarded with them. We don't have a problem with them flying in as we keep our door shut for the rats and spiders but they do come in the windows. I have just learned to live along side them, if I see them I squish them if I don't then who cares, they aren't dangerous as far as I know.
We do have a mouse that we allow to live behind our oven that has cut down the number massively since he moved in, he has become quite tame now and will sit on top of the oven as we go to and from the front door, which is about 2foot away (he knows we won't kill him as long as he is doing a good job).
Our biggest problem are these massive centerpedes I keep finding in my bath, on numerous occasions I have found them crawling up my leg as I'm showering (I think they must be in the shower curtain) and after brushing one of my daughters back while showering have become super paranoid of them as they apparently pack quite a punch.
Mosquitos don't bother me, I do get bitten but I just live with it. I think you just have to get used to living with all these things, it is impossible to get rid of all these insects I'm sure they must be of some use or importance somewhere, somehow.

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
Sprinkle out a little boric acid (powder)...that'll kill them. Or try to find RAID brand "roach motels"...boxes with bait that kills them dead.

Keep your doors closed, screens in the windows and food put away...chances are if you've seen one, you're living with thousands, they breed like rats.

The "new pest" in the Florida Keys are Colombian Iguanas...huge buggers, anyone know how to get rid of them? (they swim into the canals before we can catch them...they taste like chicken!)

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007

I had a magnificent etheric oil which I brought from Egypt on one of our trips. Was a courtesy of the hotel manager, it came with a very fragile glass painted container to burn the oil in. I managed to bring over that special burner with me without breaking it from Egypt and then to the DR (YOW :bunny:) and it worked magic on ants, mosquito's and cucaracha's, it smelled delicious like spice (almonds) but...my bottle is empty :(

Nobody planning a trip to Egypt soon?? :bunny:
Why do you hate using BORAX? I used it in my carpets to kill fleas when I had dogs and carpets...BORAXO Soap was the product...we'd spread it into the carpets, walk it in and vaccuum a day or so later....fleas gone, and none on the dogs either....now we have tile floors so there's no issue