preventing cockroaches

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Why do you hate using BORAX? I used it in my carpets to kill fleas when I had dogs and carpets...BORAXO Soap was the product...we'd spread it into the carpets, walk it in and vaccuum a day or so later....fleas gone, and none on the dogs either....now we have tile floors so there's no issue

Well, I don't have to use it very much since we do not have much hinder of cucaracha's either way, only on the patio at night and the occasional one in the bathroom brrr :)

I don't know, don't like artifical stuff to kill anything in anyway, nothing more nothing less.
We have the little lizards all over the place who clean up most of the flying insects and I leave on big cobweb alive on the patio near the outdoor light where we never pass, great bug hunter ;)

Fleas, we don't have any of them around, neither do we have ticks.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Borax is found naturally. It's not artificial.

If it works on those Palmetto bugs..... I'll take it:lick:

For those of you not "in the know".... Palmetto bugs are cockroaches on steroids.... a native of the US south.

They wake you up at night when they jump off the counter onto the floor... you actually hear them:confused:

they are as big as your thumb , in some cases..... as big as your little finger in others

Good riddance

WW

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
If it works on those Palmetto bugs..... I'll take it:lick:

For those of you not "in the know".... Palmetto bugs are cockroaches on steroids.... a native of the US south.

They wake you up at night when they jump off the counter onto the floor... you actually hear them:confused:

they are as big as your thumb , in some cases..... as big as your little finger in others

Good riddance

WW

:eek:, no that big I haven't seen them yet here :)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Listen, the sure fire way of getting rid of flying bugs, is to leave the country. You're in the tropics now, don't let a little flying bug freak you out. They're everywhere and if that doesn't scare you, something else flying or wiggling will. There isn't enough insecticide to deal with everything that goes squish or sqosh. Just don't eat their droppings and change your mindset and you'll be fine. Big deal, flying bug, brush your shoulder off and move on.

great post, that. i hate them big flying buggers but i have three cats to get rid of them, and anything else that moves. and my dog thinks they are a nice little snack :)
still, even with my little furry army we still do get all sorts of nasties fly, crawl and wiggle into our house. if it eats mosquitos i let it live :) so all spiders and lizards are welcomed. other creepy crawlies i try to remove either out of the house or out of this life, permanently (namely centipedes, they bite).

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
great post, that. i hate them big flying buggers but i have three cats to get rid of them, and anything else that moves. and my dog thinks they are a nice little snack :)
still, even with my little furry army we still do get all sorts of nasties fly, crawl and wiggle into our house. if it eats mosquitos i let it live :) so all spiders and lizards are welcomed. other creepy crawlies i try to remove either out of the house or out of this life, permanently (namely centipedes, they bite).
Let?s hope your Noivo doesn?t come crawling home drunk one night! :p lol

t9d26v.gif

SantiagoDR

Reactions: Celt202

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Those big flying roaches are definitely in the DR. My cats LOVE finding them. Great sport.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Those big flying roaches are definitely in the DR. My cats LOVE finding them. Great sport.

Earlier this year I was sitting in my suegra's den, and one of them flew across the room and disappeared behind the couch. I was suitably disgusted, haha. Especially since I never really see bugs in her house. She took it all in stride - she claims that when they fly like that it means it's going to rain....... ????

AE

robbie

Bronze
Aug 3, 2006
Earlier this year I was sitting in my suegra's den, and one of them flew across the room and disappeared behind the couch. I was suitably disgusted, haha. Especially since I never really see bugs in her house. She took it all in stride - she claims that when they fly like that it means it's going to rain....... ????

AE
well its raining like crazy here tonight in bavaro lol and I didnt find the borax, quite a day on a treasure hunt:mad: however, I did spray vinegar inside and outside the door jam(the floor) , ahem, no roaches today:devious:
Step up to the plate you nasty ugly bugs:devious:
I did break the dustpan yesterday killing yesterdays visitor though:speechles

robbie

Bronze
Aug 3, 2006
towel at door, soaked with vinegar, again!!! big sucker in the bathroom, everything is closed up, what the f^%$?

robbie

Bronze
Aug 3, 2006
Pipes

Can these be coming up through the pipes into the sink?
I give up, everything is tight, clean , last night I got up in the middle of the night, went into the bathroom and there is a BIG one on my sink, by the time I got a weapon it was gone, 10 seconds maybe, its no where, it only could have gone down the drain. Is this possible? where do I put borax if this is the case, I'm always running water into the sink so it would get washed away.
God i hate these things:tired:

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Can these be coming up through the pipes into the sink?
I give up, everything is tight, clean , last night I got up in the middle of the night, went into the bathroom and there is a BIG one on my sink, by the time I got a weapon it was gone, 10 seconds maybe, its no where, it only could have gone down the drain. Is this possible? where do I put borax if this is the case, I'm always running water into the sink so it would get washed away.
God i hate these things:tired:

That is a possibility. Try blocking the drain when you're not using it - if the sink doesn't have it's own stopper, buy one of those cheap rubber plugs they make for bathroom sinks. Same with the tub. If you still see them, you'll know they're not coming from there. They'll go wherever there is water, so keep the sink dry too.

If you can't find Borax, look for Boric Acid.

AE

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Keep in mind boric acid/Borax is a two week thing. It basically softens and melts their exoskeletons and stop the breeding.

It's not like you sprinkle some on one and it dies right then. It's not a poison in that sense.