price of bread to go up

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Made fresh for you....... :bunny:

Der_Backofen_und_das_Brot.jpg

donP

Looks good! The only problem with sour dough bread is that you got to have a taste for "tangy" things as it does have a slight sour taste.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Bread for the Teethless

Looks good! The only problem with sour dough bread is that you got to have a taste for "tangy" things as it does have a slight sour taste.

Well, it depends on how much sour dough you mix in.
I cannot eat the bread they sell here... sweet marshmallow stuff... :tired:

donP

Marcion

*** Sin Bin ***
Nov 22, 2014
That dense, dark square German bread is pretty good. And whatever is left over you can use to pry open vehicle doors in case of an emergency.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Good after 2 Weeks

That dense, dark square German bread is pretty good. And whatever is left over you can use to pry open vehicle doors in case of an emergency.

Wrong storage!
And you are talking about (square) "Pumpernickel" or "Kommi?brot"... (>>> Google).
Mine is different (round large loaf of 6-7 lbs.).
Whereas a French 'baguette' is virtually inedible after 3 hours, my "Rogen-Bauernbrot" is still good after 2 weeks... :bunny:

donP

Marcion

*** Sin Bin ***
Nov 22, 2014
I buy it at supermercado Mimasa in Samana...wrapped in plastic, imported with German letters on the package and a picture of a smiling hausfrau.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
3 Loaves

I buy it at supermercado Mimasa in Samana...wrapped in plastic, imported with German letters on the package and a picture of a smiling hausfrau.

There are many brands, it could look like this:

roggenbrotabgepackt_zpscadgplwn.jpeg

Mine looks different:

ee938884-85be-434a-b3ae-170af80337c9_zpsmfvpketb.jpg

One ovenload yields 3 large loaves, 6 halves.
I deepfreeze them...

donP

Last edited:

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Wrong storage!
And you are talking about (square) "Pumpernickel" or "Kommi?brot"... (>>> Google).
Mine is different (round large loaf of 6-7 lbs.).
Whereas a French 'baguette' is virtually inedible after 3 hours, my "Rogen-Bauernbrot" is still good after 2 weeks... :bunny:

donP

It's a good chew with some cheese.

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
There are many brands, it could look like this:

roggenbrotabgepackt_zpscadgplwn.jpeg

Mine looks different:

ee938884-85be-434a-b3ae-170af80337c9_zpsmfvpketb.jpg

One ovenload yields 3 large loaves, 6 halves.
I deepfreeze them...

donP

How long does it last before you have to bake again? I do not freeze mine instead I freeze the
dough bread and bake as needed. I do freeze quick breads made with baking powder, baking soda (gingerbread, pumpkin, sweet potato) etc.

Last edited:

donP

Dec 14, 2008
About 100 Days

How long does it last before you have to bake again?

About 3 months.
It is quite a procedure, as the sour dough mass needs 4 days to come to maturity and during this time has to be increased and tended.

donP

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
About 3 months.
It is quite a procedure, as the sour dough mass needs 4 days to come to maturity and during this time has to be increased and tended.

donP

That is great! The good thing about sour dough mass is that you keep adding to it and so can last for years!

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Sour Dough Care

That is great! The good thing about sour dough mass is that you keep adding to it and so can last for years!

My German baker source says it originally stems from his father... :bunny:

It is a disaster if it goes bad (e.g. from mould; happened to me once) and a starter has to be brought from Germany again.... :ermm:

donP

cbreez

Feb 19, 2015
Really??

i make my own bread but to be honest this is a solution for sh*tty quality of bread here, not its price.

So you mean to tell me that I cannot purchase a good seven grain bread and I have to learn how to bake my own when i come there? :eek: I failed home ec.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
So you mean to tell me that I cannot purchase a good seven grain bread and I have to learn how to bake my own when i come there? :eek: I failed home ec.

well, it depends what bread you like. if you are into sliced sh*t they pass as bread in the UK then you will be fine. you can buy many types of pan integral in DR, they all taste like crap to me. but then i have different standards when it comes to bread, being polish.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
well, it depends what bread you like. if you are into sliced sh*t they pass as bread in the UK then you will be fine. you can buy many types of pan integral in DR, they all taste like crap to me. but then i have different standards when it comes to bread, being polish.

you still have not responded to my suggestion that you open a pierogi stand..

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
pierogi is too much work. idleness is a preferred state of living for me.