Private Beach in LT?

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Basically Poppy Bermudez suddenly remember that Punta Poppy was his...
The Bermudez are a very wealthy family, and never gave a f##ck about Punta Poppy until recently... It's worth millions now, and the locals are ready to fight over it...

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
The locals are arguing that law states that anything within 60 meters of the coast line is public domain.

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
For those interested,

I think that 2vouzamoi.com has translated version's in english, spanish, german maybe.
Just click on the flag that corresponds to your language on the home page.

cg

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
A Major with a Vengeance

This thread should be titled "A Dominican major that actually does his job" ..

Punta Popy beach privatized?:

The beach of Punta Popy is currently the subject of a polemic on behalf of the owner of a small plot of this beach. Indeed, Popy Bermudez, owner of this plot and member of the Bermudez family, famous Dominican Rum, also owner of two national television channels, started a few times ago to enclose with cyclonic stitch the ground running along the road to Portillo, for a privatization.

Without the intervention on last Monday of the Mayor of Las Terrenas, Jos? Alexis, accompanied by a mechanical digger and many Dominicans and Europeans of the village, this beach would have been definitively closed to the public.

Following a report filmed by the journalists of the channels of Popy Bermudez and broadcasted on those, the Mayor of Las Terrenas intervened a second time yesterday at midday but on Channel 10 of Las Terrenas, denouncing a "power abuse ", and reaffirming his will to make apply the Law whose terms are clear.

Informed of the intervention of last Monday, the President of the Republic Leonel Fern?ndez phoned yesterday morning to Jos? Alexis to have more information, and announced the arrival of journalists of the National Palace tomorrow in Las Terrenas to clarify the situation.

Alexis received many supporting phone calls on behalf of the population at the time of his televised intervention and it seems right now that the inhabitants of the village will be present at the time of the arrival of the cameras of the National Palace of Santo Domingo, so that the President of the Republic understands well that the local population does not certainly want to see its last and beautiful family beach taken away.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
The beaches at Las Terranas are exquisite and should be preserved and maintained for public use. I applaud the efforts of the Mayor and the citizens of Las Terranas for taking positive affirmative action.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
That guy Poppy Bermudez has been around for a while. I remember almost 35 years ago, basking on a secluded beach, accesible only by sea (or treking over a practically untrekable mountain), west of Monte R?o, Azua. I used to pay a fisherman to take us their in the morning, and come back for us late afternoon. One day, a huge fancy white motorboat shows up, with a party of half or totally drunk revellers, among them Poppy Bermudez. He was very nice to me and my group, however he made it quite clear to us that we were on his beach, and scolded out loud about things missing, like containers he had left for trash, and a thatched enclosure he had built. We were very nice to his party, to the extent that they invited us to some of his expensive scotch, and upon leaving, let me and my party hitch a ride back to Monte R?o in his luxury motorboat.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
(correction to previous post: where it reads almost 35 years ago, should read instead about 25 years ago)

candice

Jan 23, 2006
The beaches at Las Terranas are exquisite and should be preserved and maintained for public use. I applaud the efforts of the Mayor and the citizens of Las Terranas for taking positive affirmative action.
No beaches anywhere should be private! Families should be able to enjoy, appreciate, respect and learn how to preserve these treasures of the earth. I live on a lake and really enjoy watching people use it. It would be sad to think that just a few of us who live here can use the lake. There will always be people who abuse it but not very many. In Canada we have public access It is a very good thing here, in the D.R., or anywhere for that matter. I hope these people in L.T. are successful in their protest.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
I've always insisted that the only way to preserve your rights is willing to fight for them, including readiness to shed blood. When my fellow citizens start bitching about inequities and how they're being shafted by the government or whoever, I always give them the same scolding, which includes calling them whimps and cowards. (Not that I'm very courageous myself ...;) I remember the time when I landed in Las Minitas beach, Casa de Campo, from the sea, with my family and a cooler of beer, food and refreshments. The Casa de Campo security detachment fell on us like wasps. They even threatened me with arrest. The guests and tourists started milling about. There was a lot of shouting, and the scene became ugly. The person in charge of security must have received instructions, since he decided to negotiate. He told me we could stay if I kept the cooler out of sight, behind a bush. I agreed. We stayed.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Mirador, it seems that's precisely what the major is doing.

Pardon me for saying it, but it seems you have precisely missed the point, considering that most majors (s?ndicos) in the DR have sold their souls to the devil....

scotpgot

May 26, 2004
www.jazzwriter.com
There was what seemed to be a fairly large protest today at Punta Popy beach. I have no details as to who was there (except of course for the PN). I did not, however, see any cameras. Just anywhere from 300-500 Dominicans (my best guesstimate).

Squat

Jan 1, 2002
Telemicro & CDN were there... For those of us with Dominican channels...

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
Autoridades municipales se enfrentan en Las Terrenas

Santo Domingo. El s?ndico y la gobernadora de Saman? est?n enfrentados por los terrenos de la playa Punta de Popy, en Las Terrenas.
Jos? Alexis Mart?nez acus? ayer a la gobernadora, Elsa de Le?n, de utilizar su influencia y la fuerza p?blica para favorecer a un empresario, a quien acusa de querer apropiarse de todo el litoral de la playa.
Reconocen el derecho de ese empresario a sus predios, pero reclaman la franja mar?tima de los 60 metros que la Ley 305 establece como dominio propio.
Asimismo, Alexis Garc?a, abogado y representante de organizaciones comunitarias y empresarios de la zona, dijo que la intenci?n es privatizar la playa.

Squat

Jan 1, 2002
"Dominican official at the UN says foreigners ravage Las Terrenas"... It is true, but you simply can't stop the fever... And by the way, most Dominicans also ravage Las Terrenas whenever they have a chance...

I am not saying I approve of it... I would love to see LT like the paradise it was 10 years ago, when I first came. But things are just too hectic, in the next 10 years, no one will recognize the Saman? peninsula because it will be a gigantic touristic attraction (for the better or for the worst...).