Private Schools

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Hi,
I am looking for a school for my son to attend and I will be in the Puerto Plata area this month to look. I am particularly interested in schools that are helpful to kids who are still learning Spanish. We definitely want him to do his course work in Spanish. We would also like to know about opportunities for ex pats (14 years old) to play organised baseball

There are some nice schools there is POP if what you want is a total immersion into POP/Dominican culture for your child. It might be rough for a few weeks, and h/she will need a lot of support, but it can be done. Try San Jose first.

As for baseball, there are baseball leagues in POP, amateurs looking to play baseball. Just ask any of the people at the local ballpark and they can point you in the right direction. I am going through the same thing here in Santiago with my 13 y.o. grandson..not to worry, he will find a team.

Note that these "leagues" are the sustenance of the league's owners. There is a cost involved. Usually a few dollars a week. Have photos and a photocopy of the birth certificate on hand and be prepared to travel around with the team.\

Good luck.

HB

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Has anyone put their kids in PCIS or any other Bavaro/Punta Cana school and had a positive experience? negative experience? advice? Im moving to Bavaro and looking for a good school. My son will be going to first grade (6yrs) Thanks.

I just talked to one of the teachers at PCIS and she is very positive about this school year. She likes the way the place is organized and the staff are all professionals. I have two grandchildren there and the results have been quite good.

HB

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
Also PCIS has NEASC (New England Assoc. of Schools and Colleges) accreditation. That's a pretty big deal. They just received it this year after being in process (being in process is normal). My school in the US is still on the "needs to improve" list for NEASC....so I know how much work goes into accreditation. PCIS is really well organized.

191-16

May 24, 2011
HB Thanks. What do y0u know about San Jose that has you recomending it? Do you know any American kids who have attended?

Jerbust

Oct 12, 2010
Hi, looking for a private school in Las Terrenas for a 16 year old & a 11 year old, they both speak only English but I am hoping they will pick up Spanish or French at school. Any advice would be much appreciated.

tballerina

Aug 20, 2009
I have not seen any specifics , besides the names of the schools and location, on schools in Punta Cana. What have parents experienced first hand? I have a middle schooler and we are trying to decide between Punta Cana/Cap Cana/Bavaro and the Sosua/Puerto Plata area. Thank you in advance.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
There has been some detailed discussion elsewhere - but in a nutshell:

Cap Cana Heritage - bilingual, good number of foreign teachers on staff, probably the best facilities in the whole country with fees to match. Accredited. Over the years some parents have taken their children out citing various quality issues but I suspect the main reason has been the cost.

Punta Cana International School - bilingual, also very good facilities, good number of foreign teachers on staff, fees about 30% lower than CCH. Accredited by NESC and International Schools Association. I have direct experience of this school - my son has been there for over 3 years and the experience has been excellent on most counts.

B?varo Bilingual School - bilingual, has only been going for one year, but all reports have been very positive.

Calasanz B?varo - curriculum in Spanish with English as a second language, religious, less expensive, very mixed reports about teaching quality.

There are a couple of others: Trinity, Jardin Verde but I don't have much information about them.

tballerina

Aug 20, 2009
Thank you so much Chirimoya for your helpful reply on the schools in Punta Cana/Cap Cana. I have visited the facilities at Cap Cana and they are impressive, but I didn't want to get carried away by outside appearances. Thanks again.

CaribbeanGeorge

"Creature of Leisure"
Jan 3, 2002
www.fuentesdellago.com
Kindergarden or Elementary School in Samana

Hi Guys, Im back in the DR after 3 years abroad.
Im moving to Samana, near the Cayacoa GBP Hotel.
So Ill be very thankful if you can recommend a kindergarden or elementary school for my son.
Ive mentioned both cause he is 5 yrs old, and in Mexico he entered this year to pre-first or preescolar 3.
He had half day in sapnish and half in english, also PC Classes.
So I am looking for a private school that can suit our needs.
Thanx in advance.
PS Its good to see lots of old friends still in Dr1.
George.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Look in Santiago...it's within a half hour of La Vega. And has a lot more schools to choose from.

HB

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Hello, It's me again!
I'm in La Vega and have perused this thread from its inception to today's date. It being so long I may have missed a few posts, BUT I see basically nothing from the center part of the country. I tried PMing 4 different people who posted early on. The site says they are no linger here to recieve a PM! SO Where do I look for a teaching position in La Vega, Bonao or Moca? Anywhere within a half hour drive of La Vega.
Thanks
Der Fish

Send a pm to cobraboy and Bob Saunders as they have a lot of contacts in Jarabacoa which is nearby.

tubabeee

Nov 5, 2011
need the number for this school.. ?

Bautista, Puerto Plata
Small school, close to supermercado Jose Luis.
Only half day, religious ( Evangelico ) and Spanish Speaking.
Quite alots of foreigners put their children here, if they live close by, to allow them to come in to the language and social life.
Cost around 400 RDS/month, excl. books, uniforms (shirts only here ) and inscriptions.

does anyone know a number or a website for this school...???

tubabeee

Nov 5, 2011
hey , i wanted to know if anyone knows a good school in puerto plata , my daughter is in the 10th grade.... CAN ANYONE HELP ME PLZ ? I HAVE ONLY A MONTH UNTIL I FIND A SCHOOL FOR HER ...??

jahman

Aug 6, 2008
To add to HB's post, try New Horizons in Santiago. It's not too far from La Vega and is located in Los Jardines Metropolitanos which is a part of the city I really enjoy. It is a completely bilingual school so they are always looking for English speaking teachers.
(809) 247-4915

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
To add to HB's post, try New Horizons in Santiago. It's not too far from La Vega and is located in Los Jardines Metropolitanos which is a part of the city I really enjoy. It is a completely bilingual school so they are always looking for English speaking teachers.
(809) 247-4915

Do you know what there rate is for them? I think saint David is $9k per month for kindergarten.