Private Schools

audboogie

Jul 4, 2004
salary

Can anyone who has worked in a private school in DR please give an idea of the pay salary for a certified foreigner working at a private school in DR. I have looked at websites and can only find "competetive salary" which doesn't help me when considering will i be able to survive financially. Are we talking 10,000 a yr or 40000$? Say, for example a first year teacher with their masters. Thanks.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
don't shoot the messenger

Can anyone who has worked in a private school in DR please give an idea of the pay salary for a certified foreigner working at a private school in DR. I have looked at websites and can only find "competetive salary" which doesn't help me when considering will i be able to survive financially. Are we talking 10,000 a yr or 40000$? Say, for example a first year teacher with their masters. Thanks.

Expect to earn US$12,000 to US$14,000. You will need to be at Carol Morgan or have a special arrangement to break the top of that range.

marielh

Dec 18, 2006
Some of the American schools (not only CMS) pay more like US$20,000 to $30,000 a year, plus they provide housing and some other benefits (like travel home, etc.). However, in order to qualify for "foreign hire," some schools require that you attend a job fair in the US or Canada and get hired from there. Or they hire through international school organizations that TIE International or ISS (International School Services). Also, most of these American schools won't offer jobs to foreign hires who have less than two years teaching experience.

Note: Universities here generally pay far less than private schools. I know people who lecture at universities and get paid by the hour in pesos.

cdeoleo88

Feb 7, 2007
Questions of Itesa

Hey guys i wanted some info on a rpivte school is Santo Domingo. The name is Itesa. I wanted to know if they are accredited? I cant find anyhting on the web please message me if oyu have any info.

nebraskamom

May 4, 2005
public school option?

If you are coming from any first world country and expect any kind of an education for your children, public schooling in the DR is not an option. most students are only allotted a half day of classes everyday and they close constantly, often at teacher discretion, they lack books, training, everything else even the worst schools in the US would have. The DR allots less of its GDP to education than any other country in latin america.

If your kids don't speak spanish, they need to learn it, if only just to function in the neighborhood--but they will. they will learn it faster and better now than at any time in their lives--it may not be easy but they can do it. once they do there are some less expensive private schools in spanish but again they will not be up to american standards in most cases. the biggest concern will be if they plan to ever go back to the states for future schooling and having their english be up to grade level then. you can always home school those subjects if need be or hire a private tutor.

for all expats with kids, education is a major issue with no cheap answer.

taglhr

Mar 21, 2007
www.CheaperOnlineTravel.com
Private Schools Punta Cana Region

Hi, I will expand on my last post...I am looking to relocate to Bavaro and therefore looking at schooling options in this area, extending to the Punta Cana area. I was trying to locate a list of available schools in the area which maybe suitable for my three children, who are currently in the UK. Their ages are 10, 5 and 2....If anyone has any information in general or on specific schools, it would be much appreciated. The schools would need to teach in English as well as Spanish. Thanks and regards Carl

taglhr

Mar 21, 2007
www.CheaperOnlineTravel.com
Hi..Many thanks. Do you know when the Heritage School will open? Also I thought there was a school in Punta Cana called "Blue" something...Not sure what it was called but the word "Blue" was in the title...Thanks..

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Best to ask them using the contact details on the website to be absolutely sure, but I got the impression they were starting next school year (07/08) - or might even already be up and running.

les1

Feb 1, 2007
School in Rio San Juan

Does anyone know of a good school in Rio San Juan? Spanish speaking is fine

jfk700

Apr 4, 2007
I am looking to share information with parents with children in the Internationa School of Sosua. We are planning to relocate to Sosua full time in the next few years and I wish to enroll our son. I am interested in a parent's perspective

Sharlene

Mar 4, 2006
The International School

My children of 2 and 5 attend the International School and they love it there. The standard of education and the facilities are very good and I have nothing but positive things to say about it.

I have posted a couple of very long replies to people recently with regard to my opinion of the school, plus the current fee structure. If you use the search facility you should be able to access them easily.

tamosh

Apr 2, 2002
School in Santo Domingo

I am looking for a good school in Santo Domingo close to a nice neighbourhood in which we could relocate. My children know no Spanish (however will hire a tutor) and I am looking for school with classes in English. I have emailed Carol Morgan a million times and have had no response. Any other ideas or recommendations?

Yeski

Feb 10, 2007
Schools in Santo Domingo

I am also in the process of finding the same thing for my 4 & 6 year olds. We are moving to Sto Domingo this summer. I actually received a quick reply from Carol Morgan but they don't have vacanies in my daughters' grade levels. I am now looking into St George, American School, and the International School (which it seems is having problems with their website). We will be in the DR in 2 weeks to personally tour the schools but can anyone share any personal experience which any of these schools in the time being? I'm pretty much going into this blind. It's tough to choose a school based on a website.

Thanks!

Sammyd928

May 26, 2007
Cap Cana Heritage School

Hi..Many thanks. Do you know when the Heritage School will open? Also I thought there was a school in Punta Cana called "Blue" something...Not sure what it was called but the word "Blue" was in the title...Thanks..

The Heritage School will open in August 2007. I am a teacher from the US, and will be teaching English Language Arts for grades 6-9 at Cap Cana Heritage School this upcoming school year. The website is Heritage School At Cap Cana. Let me know if you have any other questions.

DanaP

May 23, 2007
Samana

Hi,

I saw that someone inquired about private schools in the Samana area but never saw any replies. Are the POP schools the closest options or are there any in the Samana/Las Terrenas area?

Maiko

Aug 30, 2002
I also have interest in schools in La Romana. Are there non? I have seen all there was through the threads in this site, and there were non mentioned. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks for all your help
Mike

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
DR1 - Living

Are there English or bilingual schools outside of Santo Domingo?
Education in English can be had outside Santo Domingo in La Romana, Santiago, Punta Cana and Puerto Plata.

Sosua, Puerto Plata. ISS is accredited by SACS, located in Sosua, DR and serves the communities of Sosua, Cabarete, and Puerto Plata. It has Grades Pre-K through Grade 12 and offesr diploma programs from both the US and Dominican Republic. Courses are taught in English and teachers are certified in their field. Tel 809 571-3271: Fax 571-1904. Email iss.sosua@codetel.net.do

Santiago. Santiago Christian School in Santiago is the only US accredited American style Christian school in the DR. It has about 515 students in the PK-12th grade. Santiago Christian School LAI-DR-SCS PO Box 5600 Ft. Lauderdale FL 33340-5600 or Apartado 62, Santiago
Phone 809-582-0447
Their e-mail is c.school@codetel.net.do

Centro Cultural Dominico-Americano runs a It is affiliated
with the Instituto Cultural Dominico-Americano (ICDA) here in Santo Domingo. Tel. 809 582 6627
The CCDA is reputed to be quite good, and I have always been favorably
impressed with the teachers I have met from that institution.

La Romana. Abraham Lincoln School. Contact: Henry Magee.
Kindergarten to 12th grade. Located at Central Romana Corporation. Tel. 809 523-3333 or 1 809 687 7787

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
Top Six La Ronana Colegios, as ranked by SEE

CP000119 INMACULADO CORAZ?N DE MARIA score: 836; 1-B - Excelente

12004914 ABRAHAM LINCOLN - score: 751; 2-A Muy Bueno

CP000924 EVANGELICO SINAI score: 740; 2-A - Muy Bueno

12006216 TODOS LOS SANTOS score: 682; 2-B - Muy Bueno

CP000105 BUENA VISTA score: 662; 2-B - Muy Bueno

12002716 SANCHEZ score: 662; 2-B - Muy Bueno

Source

Secretar?a de Estado de Educaci?n
Subsecretar?a de Calidad y Control
Departamento de Colegios Privados
Resultado de Categorizaci?n de los Centros Seg?n Regional/Distrito
A?o Escolar : 2002/2003
Levantamiento Para El A?o Escolar 2002/2003
P?gina 13 Abr 22, 2004 Notas : La escala de categorizaci?n se mueve desde C1 hasta C5, siendo C1 la m?s elevada. Dentro de estas categor?as est?n las
subcategor?as A y B, siendo la primera la de m?s puntuaci?n.
Puntuaci?n m?ximas por elementos: (Profesionalizaci?n: 300) (Planta F?sica: 250) (Administraci?n: 200) (Equipamiento: 200)
(Seguridad Social: 50)
Documento #2

Last edited: