Private Schools

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
We are looking for a bilingual school with a U.S. accreditation for our 4yr old daughter. The Cathedral School of Santo Domingo was recommended to my wife. Can anyone here provide an opinion of the school? I haven't had much luck internet searching. None of the ".do" web sites seem to be working on my computer here in New England.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The Cathedral School is on the east side - Zona Oriental, so really only an option if that's where you're going to live. Brilliant Minds is the other bilingual school in that part of the city.
The west side of the city is where most bilingual and US accredited schools are - CMS, New Horizons, St Michaels, Dominico-Americano, Ashton, etc. etc.

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
We live in Ensanche Luperon (I spend more time in the U.S. but the family mostly lives there) and my impression is that transportation might actually be easier to a school in Sto.Dgo East. For now I was just wondering if the school has a decent reputation. Any idea?

BabyBlu

Jan 20, 2004
Beware of Brilliant Minds, they are not accredited in the U.S...The bilingual part is a joke, and even with a monthly tuition of $6,500 pesos, they expect the kids to bring their own toilet paper to school..seriously...

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
The problem I am having is that my sorry excuse for an internet provider (comcast) won't allow me to open any web sites with a Dominican domain name. The only info on The Cathedral School of Santo Domingo that I can find is a Spanish U-tube video clip. I would be grateful if anyone could supply any info at all on the school. Even second hand hearsay.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I have looked for accredited schools. There are very few.

But why on earth for a 4 y.o.???? A pure waste of money...totally.

Find a nice " Maternal" nearby and put the child there.

In a year or two, look for a nice private (Spanish) school...

In 12 years who knows????

HB

Jhettku

Jul 18, 2011
We are looking for a bilingual school with a U.S. accreditation for our 4yr old daughter. The Cathedral School of Santo Domingo was recommended to my wife. Can anyone here provide an opinion of the school? I haven't had much luck internet searching. None of the ".do" web sites seem to be working on my computer here in New England.

If I were you, I don't think I would worry about US accreditation for a 4 year old. Also, normally they will not teach billingual until the kid is in 1st grade. The pre-prep or kindergarten is normally in English. (this is for private billingual schools). At least that is what I know. I could be wrong.

CMS is an American school. I heard New Horizon is a good school. We send our son to St. George school. So far we like their programs.

Just an input.

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
My daughter will be 5 this fall. She attends a prekindergarten for a few hours a day at a good Dominican private school in our neighborhood. Her older sister is doing very well there. Since she has dual citizenship, I want her to enroll in a school accredited in the U.S. in case she should want to continue her education. It would be best to get her started with classes taught in English when she starts kindergarten or first grade at the latest. At any rate we are still in the looking stage (St George school is on the short list) and to get back to my original question... does anyone have any specific info to share about The Cathedral School ? ?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I want her to enroll in a school accredited in the U.S. in case she should want to continue her education.

Bull!! Where she goes to school has absolutely, do you understand, ABSOLUTELY, nothing to do with what happens in the states. She will be tested and placed where she ranks.

The best and worst schools in NYC, Miami, Patterson, are filled with young Dominicans out of all kinds of schools and they are doing as well or as poorly as they are fit or trained to do....

Wake up!! You are talking about a 4,5,6 year old!!! What is the home like? How many books are there in that house? Do you have art books? Books with big pictures and big words for her to read? Do you have other books in the house??? A dictionary, an encyclopedia (not Wikipedia!!!)...you know, stuff made out of paper??? Does she eat at a table with knives and forks? with adults? Does she say her prayers? This kind of upbringing is as or more important than any preschool...

I apologize for being so rough, but you need to wake up a bit....I have put over a dozen kids through school and was responsible for at least three dozen more....Many went on to graduate school and are doing well!!! And NONE went to any " accredited school" ....except by the DR gubmint...

HB

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
I want her to enroll in a school accredited in the U.S. in case she should want to continue her education.

Bull!! Where she goes to school has absolutely, do you understand, ABSOLUTELY, nothing to do with what happens in the states. She will be tested and placed where she ranks.

The best and worst schools in NYC, Miami, Patterson, are filled with young Dominicans out of all kinds of schools and they are doing as well or as poorly as they are fit or trained to do....

Wake up!! You are talking about a 4,5,6 year old!!! What is the home like? How many books are there in that house? Do you have art books? Books with big pictures and big words for her to read? Do you have other books in the house??? A dictionary, an encyclopedia (not Wikipedia!!!)...you know, stuff made out of paper??? Does she eat at a table with knives and forks? with adults? Does she say her prayers? This kind of upbringing is as or more important than any preschool...

I apologize for being so rough, but you need to wake up a bit....I have put over a dozen kids through school and was responsible for at least three dozen more....Many went on to graduate school and are doing well!!! And NONE went to any " accredited school" ....except by the DR gubmint...

HB

I have to agree with HB here. I don't think it matters what school they attend in DR; they will be placed depending on how they score.

I attended HS here in NY for 9th and 10th grades, then I finished HS in Santiago, at the Milagros Hernandedz school el la Independencia (Its not there anymore as it burned down and changed owners). The point is that Milagros Hernandez, as far as I know, is not "accredited" in the US, however, I was still able to enroll in College here in the US. When I applied to the college they asked me for my HS diploma, I gave them my diploma from DR and it was fine.

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
OK OK OK One last time (I promise)!

Can anyone provide me with any kind of information of any sort - firsthand, secondhand, hearsay, etc - on "The Cathedral School of Santo Domingo"?

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
Bob................THANK YOU !
As I said in one of my earlier posts I don't seem to be able to open any sites with".do" in the address but when I link through your post I can access the web site. Thanks again!

lrmgrl

Jun 8, 2012
Does anyone know how much the current tuition is for the Abraham Lincoln School in La Romana per yer year per pupil? Thank you.

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
Follow up to my earlier inquiries about The Cathedral School.

I visited the Cathedral School of Santo Domingo. I was impressed.

As background, my daughter will soon turn 5 and we have enrolled her in the "pre 1st" class. She has good english comprehension from the relatively short times she has been in the states (and videos in english) but limited opportunity to speak it as the rest of the family and friends only speak Dominican. Half of her classes will be taught in Spanish in the "Spanish classroom". The other half of her classes will be total immersion english across the hall in the "English classroom". When she starts first grade, and thereafter, all instruction will be in english.

The school is in Santo Domingo East just north of the Las America highway roughly between the bridge over the Ozama and the tunnel just to the east. (Very handy to where we live on the other side of the river as long as the idiots stop stealing the cables that hold the bridge up.) The building is fairly new and seems well constructed. It was obviously intended to be a school from the start. The class rooms are well lighted and airconditioned. There is a large, well equiped computer classroom. The sports/athletic facilities include a full size basketball court and a swimming pool. The onsite school store sells everything the students are required to have (and takes credit cards). The teachers I met were articulate and spoke english with very little accent. Most important, my daughter says she likes the school. Their web site seems to provide a fairly accurate description.

Jose L

Nov 16, 2012
Hi all,

I'm looking for information on a good private school (not Catholic) in the Punta Cana-Bavaro, I comment I have two children aged 7 and 9 years and there is the possibility of moving to this area, but I need to know the actual cost to assess I offer offer. Someone in the same situation and can give me the information I appreciate it sincerely ...
If possible I would like to precise data, price, language, time ... a hug

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Here are the main private bilingual schools in the Punta Cana B?varo area. Fees vary according to grade, but CCH is in the region of US$8,000 per year per child, PCIS would be around US$5,000, the others are less. The exact fees are not in the public domain - you really do have to contact the schools themselves for that.

Cap Cana Heritage, Cap Cana ----------- Cap Cana Heritage School ----------- - Home

Punta Cana International School, Punta Cana Village HOME

B?varo Bilingual School, Av. Estados Unidos, B?varo - website is down, they also have a Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bavaro-Bilingual-School/254379817911835

Dominican Cambridge, Friusa, B?varo (former Jardin Verde) DOMINICO CAMBRIDGE INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL: DOMINICO CAMBRIDGE INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Why no Catholic schools?
They are some of the best in the country.
My son in Boston went to a Catholic High School.
He is none the worse for his great education, and we "Ain't Macrel Snappers"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

porkman100

Gold
Apr 11, 2010
CC...so did I (and my little ones) but I still need the espell chucker that I left with my sister in Miami